The Cadets 2019

To refocus on the program a bit- 

the second to last production is “an original piece by Tom Aungst, Omar Carmenates, and Brandon Carrita that is meant to be a playful, modern, young, and fresh take on the concept that anything you can do, I can do better. If the past generation does something; we want the future generation to do even better”

Are we going to see something akin to the playful “Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better” section of the 2000 show? Tekk Remembers 🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FTNK said:

To refocus on the program a bit- 

the second to last production is “an original piece by Tom Aungst, Omar Carmenates, and Brandon Carrita that is meant to be a playful, modern, young, and fresh take on the concept that anything you can do, I can do better. If the past generation does something; we want the future generation to do even better”

Are we going to see something akin to the playful “Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better” section of the 2000 show? Tekk Remembers 🙂

Let’s hope so!! 

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

I'm not overly concerned about the theme of the show.  It's the execution and effect that matters most.  I HOPE it doesn't become political, because that's not the reason I attend drum corps shows.  I can certainly understand the reservations some people have about the description that was released yesterday.  After all, this is The Cadets, and we have all seen plenty of ideas gone bad in the past.  But, lets not forget, MANY members of the current leadership were INVOLVED in those past artistic mistakes, even though they weren't necessarily RESPONSIBLE for them.  I'm betting that the current team learned from what they experienced in the past.  And they are bound and determined to do things THEIR WAY this time around.  And determined to do them BETTER.

Again, I hope the show doesn't become political.  I REALLY AND TRULY HOPE!!  But, just like in the past, if there are things I don't like, I will try to ignore them and focus on the good stuff instead.  And from what I've seen and heard so far, there is going to be A LOT of good stuff!

Thanks for your thoughts Tomeee! You make some good points. Hope you are well...see you soon.

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I would like a brief escape from that in drum corps. But apparently that’s too much to ask. 

To paraphrase a movie review YouTube channel talking about Batman v Superman: 

“there would be people on CNN arguing, but we don’t need that... we live that every day about every single little thing”

Drum corps as escapism is good. Then again, this show could be absolutely BRILLIANT. Will find out 7/7

• Like 2

And we wonder why corps don't release show details early. I'm just going to go to ST, watch this thing develop, and enjoy. I read the description of the show once and won't again, because in the end it's what I see and hear on the field that matters to me.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

IMO it's only political if you make it political. 

The Cadets are celebrating 50 years of admitting women into the corps. So for them to be putting a focus on women seems appropriate to me.

That is perfectly fine.  But sometimes, we overreach.  Like the Troopers with their "first female drum major" PR campaign, this show description felt like an overreach.

Of course you could add on the Hopkins stuff, the Me Too Movement, and the inequalities that women have had to deal with it certainly puts more weight on it. Inequality should not be a political issue, but a humanitarian one. We should be doing things to bring us closer together and not farther apart. 

The fact that the Cadets want to make a show that points out these things and want to bring us together should not be a bad thing.

As others have said, I think a lot of people are uneasy because it sounds preachy in the way a LOT of shows created by Hopkins were.

I find that shows seem most preachy when they literally preach, using amplified spoken words.  As long as this show tells its story using music and motion, not pre-recorded lecturing from that show description, it should be great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And what are those lessons?  Divide ourselves into grievance groups and pit ourselves against each other?  No thank you. This benefits cynical politicians and reprehensible people trying to build themselves up by tearing others down. Yes, I choose to reject that hateful, self-serving attitude in today’s culture. I would like a brief escape from that in drum corps. But apparently that’s too much to ask. 

I believe the program description reads just the opposite of dividing folks into camps

• Thanks 2