The Cadets 2019

2 hours ago, dans said:

The #metoo movement is silly and hypocritical. And I go to a drum corps show to relax and get away from leftist politicals...I don't need to have progressive politics shoved down my throat. And lets be real Jeff, the Cadets have alienated many fans with leftist politics and social issues. Is that what the 2019 Cadets really want to do...is it really in their best interest? Based on past experience, Cadets fans have every right to be skeptical until they see where the new staff is going to go with this theme. The potential is there for something amazing with this theme. Time will tell regarding how political they go with it.

No, their director alienated many fans with a veriety of actions. There's way to design hot topic issues without doing what was designed for the Cadets in the past. And let's be 10000% brutally honest.....most hatred of the Cadets as so many label it wasn't the corps...it was him. He just made it so everyone thought they were one and the same.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Suncoast 88 is one of my favorite shows ever. 

I'm not sure how many remember the Bluecoats in the 80s struggling with being forgettable - they literally ran an ad campaign around  it

Being boring or ordinary is the worst

I have a (strong) feeling the show will NOT be literal or trying to tell a story or push an agenda - but that's just based on how this team massaged the show last year

Last year was the first year in ages where the Cadets didn't have backflip jesus type elements foisted on us mid or late season

Instead of "Ten" "10" "TEN" everywhere we got a classy surprise insertion of the classic M&G uniformed member into the final set at the end of last season

A subtle and effective gesture which sent a clear and entertaining message!

A good sign!

Thanks for staying positive George! I'm going to follow your lead. The corps is really strong going into spring training...I just don't want anything to mess that up. The Cadets have certainly earned the right to have a great season!

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

No, their director alienated many fans with a veriety of actions. There's way to design hot topic issues without doing what was designed for the Cadets in the past. And let's be 10000% brutally honest.....most hatred of the Cadets as so many label it wasn't the corps...it was him. He just made it so everyone thought they were one and the same.

I was obviously referring to Hopkins when I said the Cadets have alienated fans. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, 2000Cadet said:

I think we should all just ignore those political labels and love some drum corps!

20 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well, if they do stray into those issues, so be it. However, I don't think it will. Personally, I think it's about time to make people uncomfortable given what's going on in the world today. A little discomfort can go a long way to making things better. And since a lot of adults don't seem to understand or want to do anything about what's going on in the world today, maybe this needs to be the venue to do it. 

If you could not have it both ways, which of the above would you prefer?

6 hours ago, dans said:

The #metoo movement is silly and hypocritical. And I go to a drum corps show to relax and get away from leftist politicals...I don't need to have progressive politics shoved down my throat. And lets be real Jeff, the Cadets have alienated many fans with leftist politics and social issues. Is that what the 2019 Cadets really want to do...is it really in their best interest? Based on past experience, Cadets fans have every right to be skeptical until they see where the new staff is going to go with this theme. The potential is there for something amazing with this theme. Time will tell regarding how political they go with it.

Yikes. The reality is, art and music have always touched on controversial topics. Kudos to the Cadets for doing a show with purpose that makes a statement. 

The world is changing whether you want it to or not. Things that were once controversial become normal over time. That’s progress. You can stay mad and yell at the clouds; or you can accept the change that young generations are pushing for. Time is on their side. I’m sure this is a show many current members are excited to march this year. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Yikes. The reality is, art and music have always touched on controversial topics. Kudos to the Cadets for doing a show with purpose that makes a statement. 

The world is changing whether you want it to or not. Things that were once controversial become normal over time. That’s progress. You can stay mad and yell at the clouds; or you can accept the change that young generations are pushing for. Time is on their side. I’m sure this is a show many current members are excited to march this year. 

I don’t want to speak for dans, but I don’t think the complaint is that the world is changing. That’s silly and you know it.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, dans said:

I do not want the Cadets to be boring! The Cadets can be exciting without being social justice warriors. You made some good points waliman4444.

Many believe that politics have no place in these threads as well as shows. Personally, I don't care much for political shows myself BUT to think drum corps is not affected by everyday politics is also putting one's head in the sand. We are not immune to politics nor social issues. Yes, we tend to be in a bubble but to believe we are immune would not be correct imo.

With that said, as you chose to point out one political party over another in another post is where the subject comes off drum corps and onto a political OPINION and personal bias.

Edited by GUARDLING

8 hours ago, dans said:

And I go to a drum corps show to relax and get away from leftist politicals...I don't need to have progressive politics shoved down my throat.

I’m not mentioning this to be political at all, just to present a reasonable observation: any politics presented through a drum corps medium are most likely going to skew, at the bare minimum, slightly left. This is a youth activity full of young hopeful idealists, not to mention it’s been a haven for LGBT youth for decades. Beyond the kids, the designers are people immersed in the arts for a living. I’m not saying everyone who marches skews left, just that the youth-driven, artistic soul of the activity could reasonably be called left-leaning. That’s not to say that drum corps is the proper medium to present a political opinion; however, the country is full of division and anger on every side at the moment, and it would be naive to expect the art you are viewing to not reflect that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brass34 said:

Progress for whom or what? This seems like a oversimplification to me....AND I'm not picking sides here either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its rarely politics that effects Corps/ marchers.

By far, and its not even close, imo,  its... economics.

Economics determines who marches and who doesn't. Economics even determines how Corps continue to function and exist, and what Corps falter,  and others, cease to exist.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1