The Cadets 2019

59 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its rarely politics that effects Corps/ marchers.

By far, and its not even close, imo,  its... economics.

Economics determines who marches and who doesn't. Economics even determines how Corps continue to function and exist, and what Corps falter,  and others, cease to exist.

Yup!

given the snip the Cadets chose to release I can understand the concern some have - however I’ve heard most of the rest of the program and there isn’t any other vocal contribution and there isn’t any lecturing 

mostly it’s just aggressive music played by very solid brass and percussion sections

The music is well arranged and engaging - parts are entirely original, parts you will recognize from Regiment 1993 in DCI and the end of Avons BOA program in 2017

it should be quite fun to listen to!

• Like 2

Just a reminder to make sure the topic does not slide down the political sliding board to being closed or edited.

So far it seems ok (except for at least one deleted post the other day), but just re-read whatever you want to post to make sure it stays drum corps-related.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I don’t want to speak for dans, but I don’t think the complaint is that the world is changing. That’s silly and you know it.

Thanks for actually trying to understand my words. Some have issues with reading comprehension.

9 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

If you could not have it both ways, which of the above would you prefer?

The latter. 

I mean whatever you want to do, you can't ruin my positivity about this show so I suggest you stop trying. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, George Dixon said:

Donate: https://yea.org/cadets/maroon-and-gold-day

A STORY OF POWER AND EQUALITY

The Cadets are proud to present their 2019 production Behold. The show illuminates the struggle to attain power, keep power, and ultimately, the power of equality. Libby Larson’s 'Fanfare for the Women' opens the show and celebrates the powerful, intelligent, and brave women of the past; personified by a single character, the Queen.

“Behold is, by definition, a command for respect and is often used to introduce something remarkable or impressive. The design team wanted to honor the remarkable story of resilience, strength, unity, and healing for The Cadets and for all women in our activity and our country, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of women in The Cadets in 2019,” said Darcie Aungst, Program Coordinator. “I was intrigued by women in history who lead entire nations as far back as Ancient Egypt and Rome; often pondering the question, what happened? Why in 2019 is it a struggle? This show explores that history and those questions. Behold tells a tale of female strength and leadership, the ugliness of jealousy, discrimination, and power when it is held over others. The show points triumphantly to images and sounds of true equality and opportunity for everyone regardless of gender, race, orientation, identity, or ethnicity. Shattering the glass ceiling opens opportunities for everyone who has been told they are ‘less than’ and leaves our world a better place for future generations. Behold the power of unity, of equality, and of The Cadets!”

'Just' by David Lang and 'Blueprint' by Caroline Shaw soon follow as we see and hear cracks in the palace which signal the end of the Queen’s reign. The breakdown is followed by the chaos that occurs within a complete vacuum of power. 'Dance 1' of the Estancia Orchestral Suite by Alberto Ginastera then sets the scene as the corps breaks into tribes with the intent of taking power from others. Divided by their differences, everything is destroyed.

'Bridge Over Troubled Water' by Paul Simon washes over the corps as the Queen comes into focus, witnessing the destruction of what she had created by those filled with jealousy. She accepts the destruction wrought by those who stole from her and begins to heal her people, bringing them together, and undertakes the rebuilding so that they can move forward. She both heals and passes the torch so that future generations can have a better life.

Following the healing of the past, the future generation gets the opportunity to do and be anything they want. 'Do Better' is an original piece by Tom Aungst, Omar Carmenates, and Brandon Carrita that is meant to be a playful, modern, young, and fresh take on the concept that anything you can do, I can do better. If the past generation does something; we want the future generation to do even better. The finale from David Maslanka’s 4th Symphony provides an emotional, glorious, and majestic closer where the diverse women and men of the corps stream forward to shatter the glass ceiling. This act empowers people who were never before given a chance to step up and lead. With this diversity of gender, identity, race, ethnicity, orientation, and age comes new ideas, innovations, celebrations, and respect.

Behold The Cadets of 2019

I mean, the queen has to be Arya Stark, right? It has to be Arya. 

• Haha 1