The Cadets 2019

14 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Please point out the “partisan politics” in Cadets’ show announcement. Is it the whole equality/empowerment thing? Since when are those considered partisan issues? 

Anything can be twisted into a partisan issue, as soon as politicians get involved with it.

To answer the rest of your inquiry - since show themes are obligatory now, what better and more timely theme could there be than the empowerment of women?  I would love to see any corps provide a focused and intelligent show around that concept.  And if the Cadets were to be that corps, that could add auto-biographical significance to it all which would be poetic justice.  Cadets 2019 could still be that corps, that show, that message... if refined and focused.

As I said earlier, the show description felt like overreach to me.  The reason is because after declaring the theme to be about women and power, the writeup lost focus on that topic about a quarter of the way in.  And that loss of focus came in the form of words I (and others) recognize as popular political rhetoric of current American politics, left-leaning in every instance.  Being politically ambidextrous myself, I prefer not to be pulled all the way to one side or the other.

For me, it would all be good with just two refinements:

1.  This show is about women.  Remove the references to diversity of race, ethnicity, orientation, identity, age, etc.  (And spare me the next straw man post - no, I do not support discrimination on any of those issues.)  If Cadets want to do a race show in 2020, ethnicity in 2021, an age show timed to coincide with a rule change proposal on that topic, great.  One theme at a time.

2.  Having trouble reconciling the "glass ceiling" concept with the history of women in leadership going back centuries.  I think it is too heavy a lift to explain that history in ten minutes.  I would keep either the Queen or the glass ceiling, but not both in the same field program.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Anything can be twisted into a partisan issue, as soon as politicians get involved with it.

To answer the rest of your inquiry - since show themes are obligatory now, what better and more timely theme could there be than the empowerment of women?  I would love to see any corps provide a focused and intelligent show around that concept.  And if the Cadets were to be that corps, that could add auto-biographical significance to it all which would be poetic justice.  Cadets 2019 could still be that corps, that show, that message... if refined and focused.

As I said earlier, the show description felt like overreach to me.  The reason is because after declaring the theme to be about women and power, the writeup lost focus on that topic about a quarter of the way in.  And that loss of focus came in the form of words I (and others) recognize as popular political rhetoric of current American politics, left-leaning in every instance.  Being politically ambidextrous myself, I prefer not to be pulled all the way to one side or the other.

1.  This show is about women.  Remove the references to diversity of race, ethnicity, orientation, identity, age, etc.  (And spare me the next straw man post - no, I do not support discrimination on any of those issues.)  If Cadets want to do a race show in 2020, ethnicity in 2021, an age show timed to coincide with a rule change proposal on that topic, great.  One theme at a time.

2.  Having trouble reconciling the "glass ceiling" concept with the history of women in leadership going back centuries.  I think it is too heavy a lift to explain that history in ten minutes.  I would keep either the Queen or the glass ceiling, but not both in the same field program.

Thank you. Well said and well thought out. Definitely not a knee jerk reaction!

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

In May, every show description is an over reach. Until you see it, and usually not until finals when fully fleshed out, cleaned, tweaked, refined, new ending just for the last 2 weeks put on, etc etc, it's all high sounding blather, regardless of the corps. So reading too much into anything said in May is folly. 

• Like 2

yo people..this is drum corps...all the historic VFW and American legion corps performed  shows that almost had to include  the  patriotic presentation of colors ...We've come along way from starting and ending shows with gun shots to where mm's are expressing themselves in ways that continue to blow me away..Just entertain us.. if a few feathers are ruffled, so be it !!!  you can't please everybody

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm the second only.  LOL

Haven't had HBO or Showtime for several years... so I am blissfully clueless. :laughing:

uhh can I get into also?  i don't either.  It seems almost cultlike to watch

20 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It wasn’t that I was bored.  It was just a little too racy for me.  I’m not a prude but I like watching old lady chick flicks.

Diana Rigg has a great role later in the series.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Ah!!!!! One of my early favorites from the British "Avengers" import....

peel1.jpg

She was the "real" star