The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, dans said:

Have not been able to get the Cadets music out of my head since I left them last night! Music is really growing on me now that the visual aspect is being added. The staging of this show is on a different level than recent years...in a good way. Visually, this is some of the coolest stuff I have seen the Cadets do in years. Trying to keep realistic expectations about how they will place this season; however, when I watch this edition of the Cadets (which has been a lot in the past 2 weeks), I actually think they may have some upward mobility when it comes to placement this season. Either way, this season will be a breath of fresh air for the Cadets and their fans.

That's really awesome to hear! 

Can you say anything else regarding the drill? I know you talked about improvements with the staging which is a big deal. I've been missing the really cool drill moments these last few years. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Can you say anything else regarding the drill? I know you talked about improvements with the staging which is a big deal. I've been missing the really cool drill moments these last few years. 

What I’ve seen so far, which admittedly isn’t much, is that they’ve taken a more similar approach to vanguard last year.

sections of traditional drill with some cadet moments in between the corps interacting with very large props with some staging on or around them 

field coverage I’ve seen so far is expansive - for example the opener ends with a double company front between the 15s or so

the size of the props lend to creating much bigger pictures and they are being interacted with throughout vs just sitting there much of the show like the ones from last year 

I only saw them briefly the other day and the brass were in pods working on body movement that sort of scattered into a big sudden wedge for a brass hit

listening to the portions of music in be heard so far I would expect a good deal of traditional fast paced drill at the end of the  opener and during the closer 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Not able to get up higher to see the drill yet due to the facility they are at. However, a lot of visual interest even at field level.

• Like 5

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, George Dixon said:

That show was killed by those "mid season" additions - Man, if they would have restaged that ballad front and center and toned down a couple things it could have become a classic

Also bells went on for like 15 minutes - there was that other slight design flaw 😞

I agree. I think a lot of people love the show, even if they don't see it as a classic. In it's final stage it is a show I love to watch, yet at the same time I think there were 3 things that held it back from being a true classic Cadets: 1) opener was too long, 2) a few transitions were weak, 3) the ballad not building to a true climax. They didn't really clean the show visually either, but a lot of that was due to constant drill rewrites. It's  definitely a show that with a few tweaks could have been a true classic DCI show.

• Like 2

I've watched the cadets over the past few years ,agreeing with the placements for the most part.   I had a great viewing of this week's development of the 2019 cadets.    WOW , it's championship stuff in the making..   it's very very very refreshing to see  a design team  that wants to win it all this year.  I'm excited .

• Like 7

12 hours ago, scotttttt said:

I've watched the cadets over the past few years ,agreeing with the placements for the most part.   I had a great viewing of this week's development of the 2019 cadets.    WOW , it's championship stuff in the making..   it's very very very refreshing to see  a design team  that wants to win it all this year.  I'm excited .

I would love nothing more than to see them win it this year, but that seems a bit unreasonable. I really hope I'm wrong. It's so refreshing to hear that this design team has a clear and unified vision for this show. I'm not sure how many people truly know the cluster**** that the design was. It feels like GH just rolled the dice and hoped it would come together. Being a member from 99 to 2000 I feel like I got to see both of those extremes. The common thread between the two was that the ideas were not complete when they should have. It worked in 2000 and didn't work at all in 99. 

This staff seems to be on a totally different level from a total show design standpoint. I don't think that will be a problem with this corps. I am still a little reluctant about saying they have fixed the drill design.

I think we'll know pretty early in the season if this show will have what it takes to win. If they can stay close to the top corps I absolutely think they have a shot to win it all. Realistically, I am hoping for 5th or 6th.

Edited by East9900
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I would love nothing more than to see them win it this year, but that seems a bit unreasonable. I really hope I'm wrong. It's so refreshing to hear that this design team has a clear and unified vision for this show. I'm not sure how many people truly know the cluster**** that the design was. It feels like GH just rolled the dice and hoped it would come together. Being a member from 99 to 2000 I feel like I got to see both of those extremes. The common thread between the two was that the ideas were not complete when they should have. It worked in 2000 and didn't work at all in 99. 

This staff seems to be on a totally different level from a total show design standpoint. I don't think that will be a problem with this corps. I am still a little reluctant about saying they have fixed the drill design.

I think we'll know pretty early in the season if this show will have what it takes to win. If they can stay close to the top corps I absolutely think they have a shot to win it all. Realistically, I am hoping for 5th or 6th.

Regardless of placement, they will have a cool show that most will like!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sucks that we did not get a chance to see them in Oxford.... our schedules just didn't work out.  Stuff happens.  LOL.

I hope all continues to go well for them. From the posts on here, it certainly appears they are going to have a very good summer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East9900 said:

the key now is getting everything right from the get go. the competition is too tight at the top to keep experimenting all summer long. By the first show, the design team already knows the changes or tweaks coming for the most part.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the key now is getting everything right from the get go. the competition is too tight at the top to keep experimenting all summer long. By the first show, the design team already knows the changes or tweaks coming for the most part.

Exactly. Improvement is the goal - let’s not raise hopes just yet. Members having a great summer is key for me 

• Like 2