The Cadets 2019

On 6/21/2019 at 7:25 AM, rancidrolla said:

Go to Walmart and rip some lady's dress off of her & see what list you end up on. 

I'm with you. I normally don't get hung up on "PC" things like this. But...I couldn't ignore the look of disgust and confusion in my theater last night during that part of the show. It was very uncomfortable. The high school students made comments of disapproval, too.  

Hate on me if you want, but I think they should revise that part. There are better ways to show what they are attempting to portray. 

Edited by Mac13
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

Very disappointed in the Cadets last night. This show is not coming together the way I hoped it would. The show did not grab me at all and the drill is very unremarkable. The only bright spot was the percussion...they are good. Hate to say it but the corps has a big hill to climb in a relatively short amount of time.

Very disappointing but the percussion was very strong. They are going to have to work their a##es off to get this show to grab you and pull you in.

• Like 2

Here's a few thoughts (and yes I'm aware it's the first show):

-First the Queen. I don't think they do a good enough job of explaining why the second part of the show happens with her being literally stripped of her crown and power. It was uncomfortable, but I guess that's the point. It comes across a bit tone deaf and I think that's really  the issue. I do think they can fix it and still keep the idea. I had a hard time finding her and how she actually comes to redeem herself. That part wasn't clear to me. 

- I was critical of the drill last year and this year is not much different. There were some cool moments, but IMO severely lacking for a Cadets show. Some of the staging I felt like made the corps look small. 

-Kind of in line with the second point.... Darcie said they wanted to keep fast and frenetic drill. There were many moments where they decided to go against Cadets standards and instead go the easy route. When there was difficult playing, they stopped moving. It seemed like it happened way too often. That's straight out of a BD playbook and one of my biggest criticisms of BD.

-  The show is definitely put together with intention and it shows. It obvious there are parts that are not there yet.  

- LOVE the uniforms. It was cool hearing about why they chose certain things on the uniform. The 5 stripes on the leg are supposed to represent the 50 years of women in The Cadets. Very cool.

- The props are fantastic. The show would be incomplete without them. There were some very cool moments when they break apart. Later I really liked when they were spinning them around and the corps was doing drill around them. 

-This show definitely has a LOT of room to grow. Do I think they have any shot of being in consideration for a title: no way. They just aren't in the same league right now as Crown and Bluecoats. There's just too much to clean (visually and musically) as well as a show idea that isn't on par with the best right now. I truly hope they can shove this comment down my throat in the end, but I don't think so. That being said, I think they still can break into the top 5-6, but they are going to have to clean, clean, clean. There is no doubt there is a lot of room for this show to grow. I'm just hoping they get there in the end.

-Lastly, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet: Did anyone notice something under the jacket. Something that looked like... a gold cummerbund? Is that a sign that there is a uniform reveal happening later this season??? 

Anyway. while I have been mostly critical, I did enjoy the show and am proud of them. I am excited to see what they do with this. LOTS of room to grow with this show and perhaps they'll shock everyone in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rancidrolla said:

Go to Walmart and rip some lady's dress off of her & see what list you end up on. 

Going to Walmart and ripping a woman's dress off is WAY different than what the Cadets are trying to portray in the show.  I mean, do you honestly think Darcie Aungst (program coordinator) wants to show a woman being sexually assaulted during a drum corps show???  Yeah, I think that's a ridiculous assumption.

Now, instead of complaining about what DID happen, how about giving some constructive criticism on how they could make that whole part of the storyline better?  I admit, it definitely can be done differently, in a way that is suitable to ALL spectators.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I say this with the greatest love and concern:

I wish... wish wish... that the Cadet organization would stop (at least for a while) making esoteric, social statements with their shows.  They aren't in a very good position to risk 'offense' of the audience either by making the 'wrong' statement OR (as in this case) having the wrong conversation, at the wrong time, in the wrong way.

Like... pick a subject... pick a verb... write the show around it and make it clean.  Be smart... not 'smarty pants'.

For all that they have had to deal with, they need to stop fighting against their assets (before they lose them all) and write a program exclusively around great playing, great visuals and connecting with the WHOLE audience.

Think "Juxtaperformance" or "Our Favorite Things"... concepts of that nature.

Well said...thank you!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Here's a few thoughts (and yes I'm aware it's the first show):

-First the Queen. I don't think they do a good enough job of explaining why the second part of the show happens with her being literally stripped of her crown and power. It was uncomfortable, but I guess that's the point. It comes across a bit tone deaf and I think that's really  the issue. I do think they can fix it and still keep the idea. I had a hard time finding her and how she actually comes to redeem herself. That part wasn't clear to me. 

- I was critical of the drill last year and this year is not much different. There were some cool moments, but IMO severely lacking for a Cadets show. Some of the staging I felt like made the corps look small. 

-Kind of in line with the second point.... Darcie said they wanted to keep fast and frenetic drill. There were many moments where they decided to go against Cadets standards and instead go the easy route. When there was difficult playing, they stopped moving. It seemed like it happened way too often. That's straight out of a BD playbook and one of my biggest criticisms of BD.

-  The show is definitely put together with intention and it shows. It obvious there are parts that are not there yet.  

- LOVE the uniforms. It was cool hearing about why they chose certain things on the uniform. The 5 stripes on the leg are supposed to represent the 50 years of women in The Cadets. Very cool.

- The props are fantastic. The show would be incomplete without them. There were some very cool moments when they break apart. Later I really liked when they were spinning them around and the corps was doing drill around them. 

-This show definitely has a LOT of room to grow. Do I think they have any shot of being in consideration for a title: no way. They just aren't in the same league right now as Crown and Bluecoats. There's just too much to clean (visually and musically) as well as a show idea that isn't on par with the best right now. I truly hope they can shove this comment down my throat in the end, but I don't think so. That being said, I think they still can break into the top 5-6, but they are going to have to clean, clean, clean. There is no doubt there is a lot of room for this show to grow. I'm just hoping they get there in the end.

-Lastly, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet: Did anyone notice something under the jacket. Something that looked like... a gold cummerbund? Is that a sign that there is a uniform reveal happening later this season??? 

Anyway. while I have been mostly critical, I did enjoy the show and am proud of them. I am excited to see what they do with this. LOTS of room to grow with this show and perhaps they'll shock everyone in the end.

Thank you!  I think the adjudicating community sent the Cadets a strong message.  There definitely are some things that need to be cleared up and cleaned up but after viewing the scores I'd say that wasn't too bad.  I try to stay away from DCP because I always feel like I'm defending Cadets and this goes back as far as the RAMD days.  If there is something negative I would say about last night's performance it would be with the weapons. . .you know how I am; CATCH your tosses!!!  I'm on tour starting in Allentown so I get a front row seat every day, every show, the whole summer.  I still believe the Cadets have something to work with and this design team has the experience to clear it up.  Go Cadets!!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rancidrolla said:

Ah the Blue Stars alumn who wants them beating Cadets has a sudden moral issue with an element of Cadets program.

No conflict of interest there! Lol 😂 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Thank you!  I think the adjudicating community sent the Cadets a strong message.  There definitely are some things that need to be cleared up and cleaned up but after viewing the scores I'd say that wasn't too bad.  I try to stay away from DCP because I always feel like I'm defending Cadets and this goes back as far as the RAMD days.  If there is something negative I would say about last night's performance it would be with the weapons. . .you know how I am; CATCH your tosses!!!  I'm on tour starting in Allentown so I get a front row seat every day, every show, the whole summer.  I still believe the Cadets have something to work with and this design team has the experience to clear it up.  Go Cadets!!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

While I agree the judging did send a message, I thought they placed right where they should have. A few others in the theater thought the Blue Stars would pass them and that's just ridiculous. I was hoping they'd be a little closer to Boston, but totally understand why they weren't. Almost 3 points behind Boston- that is no easy feat to come back from. It's not impossible, but very improbable. 

I will admit I didn't pay much attention to the guard.  I am concerned they didn't do much to change my focus to what they were doing.