The Cadets 2019

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets of Bergen County 1993 (Upscaled) In The Spring, At The Time Kings Go Off To War

When people say DCI shows are harder now than they used to be Cadets 93 is the first thing that pops to my mind. This show is just brutal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tommynev said:

When people say DCI shows are harder now than they used to be Cadets 93 is the first thing that pops to my mind. This show is just brutal.

it was a brutal "hot spin cycle class" before anything named that existed

Edited by George Dixon

just saw the detroit video...I think I'll reserve my opinion until Allentown..however, all of the opinions so far seem to suggest that work must be done {a lot} to  salvage this season..BTW, when will drum corps stop trying to be so DEEP and just have fun again?..If I want to be enlightened I read a {wait for this} BOOK..lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jake W. said:

This is truly only the first year the new team has had full control over the design, and that's just flat out not nearly enough time to determine what direction they're going. Yes, this year appears to be a swing and a miss already, but I'm fine with giving the corps time to gel without GH at the helm. That was a massive (and of course much needed) change in leadership, and the pieces aren't going to come back together perfectly over night. As long as Cadets can keep retaining the talent they're clearly still drawing, they'll be fine in the long run.

I had a long response typed and ready to send.  But this is still a public discussion group, and as much as it might feel good for me to say certain things, it  won't necessarily do any good (and may do harm) for them to be said out loud.  I don't even know why I'm still typing ...

• Thanks 1

just read some of the comments on the BD page...seems like  Cadet fans are not alone with their angst.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Jake W. said:

I've been reserving my opinion until I got to catch a video. Finally was able to tonight; someone finally posted the tour premier for Cadets on YouTube. 

I don't care for the show. It's a mess thematically and the pacing of it is particularly bizarre. I was really excited preseason for the Maslanka; I forgot they were using it until it popped up as the closer and I was both surprised & underwhelmed. It's too bad the design isn't there this year, because the corps seems strong and hungry! This is truly only the first year the new team has had full control over the design, and that's just flat out not nearly enough time to determine what direction they're going. Yes, this year appears to be a swing and a miss already, but I'm fine with giving the corps time to gel without GH at the helm. That was a massive (and of course much needed) change in leadership, and the pieces aren't going to come back together perfectly over night. As long as Cadets can keep retaining the talent they're clearly still drawing, they'll be fine in the long run.

I think we already know two things: (1) this design team ain't *it*, and (2) after another 7-9th place finish this year, the talent just won't be there. 

It's time for a massive rebuild.

I do wonder why we don't have any home-grown talent leading the instructional teams, save for Tom. "Golden Age" Cadets alums run some of the most successful programs in the drum corps world. Why aren't they at home?

Namely, in part:

Daniel Riley is the guard caption head for Vanguard.

Brad Toth is the brass caption head for Phantom.

Derek Gipson is the brass caption head for Bluecoats.

Mike Fanning and Jarrod Huntley are the visual co-caption heads for Bluecoats.

Zach Schlicher is the Percussion Production Designer for Boston.

Keith Potter and Leon May run the visual program for Boston.

Ryan George is the brass arranger for Boston.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

FYI - watched the tape from last night, which already has a number of tweaks.  The Queen no longer has her dress ripped from her - more like she is just being pushed around and chased, then the last percussion member wrestles her scepter from her, and she disappears down the back staircase.  The trouble is  ... what does her character actually do during the 12 minute show? Much like the statue from 2016, no one seemed to figure out and plan how she will occupy herself for 12 minutes that makes any sense.   Once she comes back in the second half (in a very subdued short dress that does not make her much of a feature), what does she actually do from a story sense?

And one more piece of advice, that one would hope they already have planned:  during the closer, the props are simply pushed backfield then ignored.  Those props are screaming for a guard member or two with a big-### flag(s) atop each of them for the final moments of the show, and frankly there should be some sort of regal courtly banner unfurled over the edge to drape down to field level (or something to match whatever it is the second half of the show is meant to represent).  Those props are one of the successes of this show, and as of now they are being ignored during the closer, which is a shame.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

FYI - watched the tape from last night, which already has a number of tweaks.  The Queen no longer has her dress ripped from her - more like she is just being pushed around and chased, then the last percussion member wrestles her scepter from her, and she disappears down the back staircase.  The trouble is  ... what does her character actually do during the 12 minute show? Much like the statue from 2016, no one seemed to figure out and plan how she will occupy herself for 12 minutes that makes any sense.   Once she comes back in the second half (in a very subdued short dress that does not make her much of a feature), what does she actually do from a story sense?

And one more piece of advice, that one would hope they already have planned:  during the closer, the props are simply pushed backfield then ignored.  Those props are screaming for a guard member or two with a big-### flag(s) atop each of them for the final moments of the show, and frankly there should be some sort of regal courtly banner unfurled over the edge to drape down to field level (or something to match whatever it is the second half of the show is meant to represent).  Those props are one of the successes of this show, and as of now they are being ignored during the closer, which is a shame.

Something regal and triumphant.  

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Something regal and triumphant.  

glad they are already making changes - right now they have time to fix the glaring things, but time is very fleeting these days

they actually sound pretty good if you close your eyes - and individuals are marching well technique wise... 

hope you enjoy the show!

• Thanks 1