The Cadets 2019

4 hours ago, exitmusic said:

I think we already know two things: (1) this design team ain't *it*, and (2) after another 7-9th place finish this year, the talent just won't be there. 

It's time for a massive rebuild.

I do wonder why we don't have any home-grown talent leading the instructional teams, save for Tom. "Golden Age" Cadets alums run some of the most successful programs in the drum corps world. Why aren't they at home?

Namely, in part:

Daniel Riley is the guard caption head for Vanguard.

Brad Toth is the brass caption head for Phantom.

Derek Gipson is the brass caption head for Bluecoats.

Mike Fanning and Jarrod Huntley are the visual co-caption heads for Bluecoats.

Zach Schlicher is the Percussion Production Designer for Boston.

Keith Potter and Leon May run the visual program for Boston.

Ryan George is the brass arranger for Boston.

Time for a massive rebuild?  Haven’t you noticed?  They ARE in the midst of a massive rebuild RIGHT NOW!!!

I’ve pretty much had it with all the naysayers.  The Cadets have TWO shows under their belts so far this year.  And you have totally ignored anything good that is currently happening in this organization.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Ediker said:

They are marching very well

there's a lot of REALLY GOOD under some ugly - fortunately

Really Good:

1. strong visual technique

2. more talent in the percussion & brass ranks this season

3. much more powerful brass ensemble

4. much improved front ensemble, great battery (get the drill set so the feet can get cleaned)

Revisions Needed (IMO):

1. extend the final chord at the end of the opening - push the two fronts together and push toward audience (EASY FIX)

2. bridge piece to part 2 needs the voice axed - at leas 90% of it, and I would shorten or rewrite this (speed it up?) it really is a downer right now...

3. the long part 2 needs probably 1.5 minutes of DRILL - good drill. Plan it carefully and install it over a week

4. ballad - I would suggest re stage some guard to the "bridge" and move the tuba down to behind the brass line - easy fix; ax the organ music ending - just push it in to a box and let the piece resolve normally. Teach the music change and then drill literally could be installed over 48 hours

5. The do better is a mess. Needs new drill - move the bridges down front and stage the battery on them. forget the "box" design the have now with the X and Y drill - plan this change correctly and it will take 4 days or so to re stage it. I would literally pull the corps out of a show to get an extended 3 day stop somewhere to fix this and the drill into the close 

6. "Closer" is too short - add the 30 seconds nixed from the end of the ballad here - between the small brass ensemble and the big push. It goes from 0-60 in 15 seconds. Add some drill in here carefully with some "add on" type drill and music Cadets used to be known for.... The use of the mixing bowl from the past is fine, add a "mixing" move to the end of it and spread that final set way out - so compact and cluttered right now - 'm sure they have something planned for uniforms and ending - consider it carefully - the props must play a role in the end

So - let's keep faith. Hope they adjust the show smartly and make the most of this wonderful membership, the terrific props and uniforms and all this hard work

28 shows to go!

G.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 5

Just now, Jake W. said:

I agree, George --- the corps sounds and looks extremely strong out of the gate. They've got a talented pool of membership this season.

just got to work hard and make smart and effective changes... 

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Time for a massive rebuild?  Haven’t you noticed?  They ARE in the midst of a massive rebuild RIGHT NOW!!!

I’ve pretty much had it with all the naysayers.  The Cadets have TWO shows under their belts so far this year.  And you have totally ignored anything good that is currently happening in this organization.

The number of shows doesn’t change the fact that the design is a 7-10th place design. This is at best a middle tier band show. 

7 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

The number of shows doesn’t change the fact that the design is a 7-10th place design. This is at best a middle tier band show. 

7-10th in DCI is not a middle-tier band show (JMO)

I do agree the design isn't up to snuff and I hope/expect they will make smart changes

• Like 1

Ok, here's my 2 cents ...

Too many cooks on DCP.

It's the beginning of the season.

It's interesting to me that Phantom Regiment and The Cadets' shows have similar design and musical  arrangement aesthetics that I don't love right now.  They also seem like different takes on the same theme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Too many cooks on DCP.

It's the beginning of the season.

Beginning for you, maybe ... I've been watching this develop since last Fall, hoping  that well before June certain things would have been worked out

Just now, Eleran said:

Beginning for you, maybe ... I've been watching this develop since last Fall, hoping  that well before June certain things would have been worked out

I understand your frustrations. I want them to do well too.

• Thanks 1