The Cadets 2019

So I finally got time to watch the full Cadets run from Detroit. First shows are always a mess, especially when you deal with lots of rain. Additionally, some show ideas simply take more time to clean or sort out and make sense of.  This also makes it difficult for fans to see the positives in a show or to get a sense of the direction. I am seeing that with several comments about a few corps this summer. It's typical early-season discussion.

Having said that, I actually think this Cadets show is going to be fantastic! The back 3rd of the show is clearly dirty and not finished. Staging needs work, and some of the music will be adjusted. But there is a nice program in there and some effective brass and percussion.  Brass sounds MUCH better at this juncture than last year and they have some serious demand and exposure. Fleshing out the story or the interpretations and the staging will be key. I think the drill itself is really good at times. I assume someone new is writing the closing material, but it looks good except for the wandering around in areas where they are obviously going to do some staging. 

This is a show that will take more time to work out the kinks and clean, but I honestly believe this will be a really good to potentially great show come late July. It's tough to see at the moment through all the dirt, but I actually believe they have a really good show in the making. Go Cadets!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone should underestimate the Cadets. I believe the talent level is there and the members will draw energy and inspiration from being part of an 80+ year old organization. One personal note:  I think these uniforms WOULD lend themselves well to having shakos added.....just a thought. :) Good luck guys!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, craiga said:

I don't think anyone should underestimate the Cadets. I believe the talent level is there and the members will draw energy and inspiration from being part of an 80+ year old organization. One personal note:  I think these uniforms WOULD lend themselves well to having shakos added.....just a thought. :) Good luck guys!

Agree about the shakos. Maybe add them toward the end to close the show. 

17 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree about the shakos. Maybe add them toward the end to close the show. 

It's already been confirmed by Darcie that there would be headgrear (I'm assuming shakos). They just haven't been added yet. Perhaps they are not finished, or perhaps they are intentionally not using them yet. Not sure about that yet. 

I think you may be right about adding them to close the show, because there is obviously a uniform change that they have yet to reveal (the gold under the jackets). 

34 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

This is a show that will take more time to work out the kinks and clean, but I honestly believe this will be a really good to potentially great show come late July. It's tough to see at the moment through all the dirt, but I actually believe they have a really good show in the making. Go Cadets!

So you're saying ...

19944419_10154677739151911_1587870078226

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, East9900 said:

It's already been confirmed by Darcie that there would be headgrear (I'm assuming shakos). They just haven't been added yet. Perhaps they are not finished, or perhaps they are intentionally not using them yet. Not sure about that yet. 

I think you may be right about adding them to close the show, because there is obviously a uniform change that they have yet to reveal (the gold under the jackets). 

Did anyone notice at the end of the Demoulin Cadets commercials last night on FLO...there was a tasty morsel shown briefly

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I hope so. When they begin playing the Doxology theme (Church Hymn) they need to go to a lighter color. Their closer could be amazing in a few weeks when fully realized and cleaned. 

1 hour ago, dans said:

I find many of the shows are boring (and this is not an old vs. new thing) and lacking sustained melodies. The Bluecoats are one of the few shows I find entertaining and interesting.

several of the corps seem to be heading towards "Mandarins Lite" type version. Frankly the Crossmen & Colts (corps I LOVE) both looked like copycat version of the Mandarins last year

these corps are unwisely throwing away decades of style and coolness - become quite the same

Madison - I very much enjoyed the actual SONGS with a beginning, middle and end. 

Yes - the Cadets badly need DRILL - please add more. A little wow please. 

Other bit issue are the transitions musically - and we can't blame that on the drill guy... those need fixed asap

But I agree, Cadets were improved last night. They need to work smart and improve rapidly or they will finish in 10th and it will be very hard to attract top talent

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I don't think anyone should underestimate the Cadets. I believe the talent level is there and the members will draw energy and inspiration from being part of an 80+ year old organization. One personal note:  I think these uniforms WOULD lend themselves well to having shakos added.....just a thought. 🙂 Good luck guys!

I don't underestimate the members AT ALL. It's the design team that worries me. Hoping a clear vision and smart fixes emerge.

Today's schedule -  yea.org/cadets/schedule

6/24/19

Monday, June 24, 2019 Rehearsal Day Hamilton OH

Mount Healthy Sr. High School, 8101 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45231

8:30 AM Wakeup Breakfast

9:30 AM Stretch Basics

10:00 AM Block 1

1:00 PM Lunch

2:00 PM Block 2

5:00 PM Dinner

6:00 PM Block 3 

9:45 PM Final Run