The Cadets 2019

21 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

How do the west coast scores compare to those in the east and mid west in terms of real competition...I saw a Cavaliers score(recent) that suggests that the Cadets were close..is that real or just the difference in adjudication out west ?

Really tough to say until we get some cross-pollination.  Starting July 5th we start to see those on the west coast tour coming east.

28 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

How do the west coast scores compare to those in the east and mid west in terms of real competition...I saw a Cavaliers score(recent) that suggests that the Cadets were close..is that real or just the difference in adjudication out west ?

I wouldn’t compare at all 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

They don't compare at all. Generally west coast scores are inflated. Regardless of that, I wouldn't compares scores from different shows as reference between two corps. Until they meet head to head under the same judging panel on the same day it's really hard to say.

Thankfully things are going to start becoming much clearer in the next few weeks. IMO these weeks are some of the most exciting of the season. By finals week, it's usually pretty clear. It seems like the last few years there hasn't been a ton of movement between the corps at the end of the season. I have a feeling that may change this year. There are just way too many talented corps this year to think someone may run away with it early. 

Edited by East9900

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets up another 1.8

It's positive that Cadets haven't really lost any ground against Bluecoats and Boston overall, since the season started. Time will tell if they can chip away at those 5 points against Bluecoats.

It's heartening that recent in-person reviews seem pretty positive. It seems that the show comes across better live than on video. I've caught some videos online and there's certainly marked improvement, and yet so much to do.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

please educate..why, when the judges are all trained to use the scoring criteria from DCI sheets, should there be a disparity ? I've been in drum corps as mm and now, a fan, but the subjective difference between coasts has always puzzled me..or from another period in time,..does the east german judge's bias come into play?

6 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

It's positive that Cadets haven't really lost any ground against Bluecoats and Boston overall, since the season started. Time will tell if they can chip away at those 5 points against Bluecoats.

It's heartening that recent in-person reviews seem pretty positive. It seems that the show comes across better live than on video. I've caught some videos online and there's certainly marked improvement, and yet so much to do.

I think it's fair to say that The Cadets probably have a lot more to add than those at the top, so I'm hoping they can close the gap. The question is how much can they close the gap? I fear it may be too late at that point to catch up to the top 6, but I wouldn't rule them out just yet. 

I think it says a lot that this corps is fielding a show that is a major work in progress yet are beating some very good corps and are still a finals contender.

That drumline, though..... whoa.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

please educate..why, when the judges are all trained to use the scoring criteria from DCI sheets, should there be a disparity ? I've been in drum corps as mm and now, a fan, but the subjective difference between coasts has always puzzled me..or from another period in time,..does the east german judge's bias come into play?

Because it's subjective and relative. The corps in front of a judge on a given night are ranked and rated against each other. It's not "check the boxes and add up the numbers". A certain maneuver isn't worth a certain number of points like in figure skating. It also matters if there's a corps comparable to you at the same show, versus corps considerably better or worse than you -- the bigger the disparity the harder it is to get the numbers "right", the harder to quantify the relative excellence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Because it's subjective and relative. The corps in front of a judge on a given night are ranked and rated against each other. It's not "check the boxes and add up the numbers". A certain maneuver isn't worth a certain number of points like in figure skating. It also matters if there's a corps comparable to you at the same show, versus corps considerably better or worse than you -- the bigger the disparity the harder it is to get the numbers "right", the harder to quantify the relative excellence.

thank you..the word RELATIVE helped slap me back into reality...Peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

Good description.  Though the numbers can't compare, the sheets have a more 'objective' measure called Boxes (Box 1,2,3,4,5) in each category on each sheet that you CAN compare.  

https://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/2?e=1376842/2992110

On the same night, if I have Cadets in Indiana in Box 3 on a sheet, and Blue Devils in Colorado are in Box 5 on that same sheet, then the judges are saying that the Cadets are doing a particular skill well "Sometimes" vs. BD doing that particular skill well "Always".  There's a huge 'objective' difference between playing all the right notes "sometimes" vs. "always", imo.

Like Chris NCSU said, where you can't compare between shows are the specific numbers.  Within each Box, there're 10 to 30 points of wiggle room to rank corps at a show site.  So if you have four different corps in Box 3 on a sheet at one show vs. only one Box 3 corps at another show on the same night, the actual number mean very little if you try to compare the five corps since the numbers are basically for ranking who's the best within that box on that particular skill.  However, you can objectively say that those five corps are performing that skill well only "Sometimes."

Too many words, but I hope that helps!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

But even you can't stop it!  Comparisons will be made, misconstrued assumptions will follow and wish list placements pronounced.     Maybe some insight can be gleaned Friday night in Lisle when some tour mixes begin.

• Like 1