The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

That’s because, notwithstanding all efforts to make scoring objective with lots and lots of rubrics and boxes and seminars and such...... you will never remove the human element of subjectivity. Nor can you remove the sequential order of appearance of each corps, which, whether consciously or not, forces the judges to “leave room” in their scoring for the next corps. It gives me a chuckle how each corps, almost top to bottom, lands in the same position in each caption. So, if Cadets come in fourth or second or seventh...... they take fourth or second or seventh in percussion. Maybe if it gets really crazy there’s a caption that’s one position higher or lower than the overall placement. You can cite that occasional “one off” such as BD percussion in 08. But these are exceptions only. 

Is it really? Cadets percussion has been scoring higher than their placement consistently this season . Phantom won the Sanford in 2010 while coming in 6th place. Last year (or maybe it was the year prior), the Bluecoats' percussion majorly struggled relative to the placement of the corps. And are we forgetting all those years where Crown's percussion was lagging behind the corps placement? This year, Phantom is in trouble and I believe currently sitting in "12th" overall, yet last night they posted a percussion score that was only one tenth away from the blue stars who are sitting in "6th" overall right now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Is it really? Cadets percussion has been scoring higher than their placement consistently this season . Phantom won the Sanford in 2010 while coming in 6th place. Last year (or maybe it was the year prior), the Bluecoats' percussion majorly struggled relative to the placement of the corps. And are we forgetting all those years where Crown's percussion was lagging behind the corps placement? This year, Phantom is in trouble and I believe currently sitting in "12th" overall, yet last night they posted a percussion score that was only one tenth away from the blue stars who are sitting in "6th" overall right now

Those one offs don’t change the fact that hundreds of times the caption placements match the overall placement 

36 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Those one offs don’t change the fact that hundreds of times the caption placements match the overall placement 

That’s been the case most years and most captions. There are exceptions - maybe this year we will see a few. 

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Percussion seems to be relatively an outlier in recent years against other captions. SCV has won a lot at the 4/5 slot too. 

I would think this would leave the tin foil hat folks(which I can relate to sometimes) to trust the percussion judges over the ones who give the same ordinal across captions.

Of course...Boston and their guard last year.

Edited by ThePlanets

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Phantom's percussion line has been at a high level this year. There was some work to be done. I think their recent days off gave them the time to move up a notch or two.

Cadets schedule this year really isn't conducive to making changes to the show.  They barely have a day off much less several days off in a row.  Not sure if the reasoning behind this was to fit more shows and parades in to make money, but I really hope they have the time to get a restaged closer in before San Antonio.

At least I really hope that is coming, the props should be utilized other than facing backwards at the back of the field, I would create two bridges along the front and have the corps on them.  Not copying SCV last year, but a similar concept.  Regardless something needs to be done. The end of Do Better to the end of the show has no effect.