The Cadets 2019

26 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Cadets schedule this year really isn't conducive to making changes to the show.  They barely have a day off much less several days off in a row.  Not sure if the reasoning behind this was to fit more shows and parades in to make money, but I really hope they have the time to get a restaged closer in before San Antonio.

At least I really hope that is coming, the props should be utilized other than facing backwards at the back of the field, I would create two bridges along the front and have the corps on them.  Not copying SCV last year, but a similar concept.  Regardless something needs to be done. The end of Do Better to the end of the show has no effect.

They are continuing to make additions and enhancements to the show...

16 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

That’s because, notwithstanding all efforts to make scoring objective with lots and lots of rubrics and boxes and seminars and such...... you will never remove the human element of subjectivity. Nor can you remove the sequential order of appearance of each corps, which, whether consciously or not, forces the judges to “leave room” in their scoring for the next corps. It gives me a chuckle how each corps, almost top to bottom, lands in the same position in each caption. So, if Cadets come in fourth or second or seventh...... they take fourth or second or seventh in percussion. Maybe if it gets really crazy there’s a caption that’s one position higher or lower than the overall placement. You can cite that occasional “one off” such as BD percussion in 08. But these are exceptions only. 

as it gains more clarity, it will go up in both boxes as the judge will be able to read more nuance in the book. i don't think the percussion score will be peaking any time soon

10 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Percussion seems to be relatively an outlier in recent years against other captions. SCV has won a lot at the 4/5 slot too. 

I would think this would leave the tin foil hat folks(which I can relate to sometimes) to trust the percussion judges over the ones who give the same ordinal across captions.

Of course...Boston and their guard last year.

basically proves to drum guys where you go on doesnt indicate where you place on their sheet

7 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

They are continuing to make additions and enhancements to the show...

Unfortunately it also needs several sections of new drill - hopefully the design team realizes that and teaching it is planned for the next day off or two

if not we will see one to three corps pass Cadets by finals imo 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

After listening to the Darcie Aungst video explaining the concept of the show, I viewed it and really enjoyed it.  The staging and use of the prop breaking up the nation, changing power between factions with the scepter.  It's genius design.  But there is a moment in the show where I feel like she snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.  "Bridge Over Troubled Water" builds and builds, it swells to its final note and the emotion is swelling with it.  It's a majestic moment.  And then a voice sings the final line.  It totally jars me away from the horns and destroys the emotion that was building.  It's a simple fix.  Give that line to a solo horn to transition into the next movement of the show.  Those five notes coming from a horn instead of a voice, will change this moment immeasurably.  

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Great stuff. Hope they made some people’s day.  

• Like 1