The Cadets 2019

7 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Eleran, it sounds like you are on tour. Seems like a great idea. Go talk to Tom Aungst.

Oh gosh 

pretty sure he’s talking about video 

2 hours ago, East9900 said:

I REALLY hope they can bring Jeff back. There's no doubt he loves The Cadets. I feel like he was pushed out just like all the other great talents that left around the same time. Getting Tom and Neil back was certainly a really good sign. My concern with Jeff is that I think he's pretty happy at Crown and may not want to leave. 

If they can't bring Jeff back, they have to bring in someone that has experience and can write incredible drill... not just okay drill.

There's a difference between drill that you like and drill/staging that is going to be rewarded in today's visual and effect captions. Jeff's 2015 drill was incredible and was marched by a very talented corps - what old-school Cadets fan didn't love it? That show placed 4th, maybe would have been lower had the brass and percussion not been completely amazing. Would it fare better or worse in 2019?

Cadets need to bring in someone who can modernize their visual design.

Look at SCV. A number of people have posted on the SCV thread how they liked Pete Weber's drill better than Gaines. And I agree - Weber's shows were elegant and musical in a way that the last couple of years have not been. But nobody in SCV-land denies that Gaines is writing what can win in DCI in 2019.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ShortAndFast said:

There's a difference between drill that you like and drill/staging that is going to be rewarded in today's visual and effect captions. Jeff's 2015 drill was incredible and was marched by a very talented corps - what old-school Cadets fan didn't love it? That show placed 4th, maybe would have been lower had the brass and percussion not been completely amazing. Would it fare better or worse in 2019?

Cadets need to bring in someone who can modernize their visual design.

Look at SCV. A number of people have posted on the SCV thread how they liked Pete Weber's drill better than Gaines. And I agree - Weber's shows were elegant and musical in a way that the last couple of years have not been. But nobody in SCV-land denies that Gaines is writing what can win in DCI in 2019.

Exactly 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I have my own thoughts about Cadets' 2015 scores, and they rhyme with "full spit."  Absolutely a championship-level show and performance level. Grrr.

Mike

lol.  But not champion-ship level GE or visual performance. You could argue that they were still underscored in those, maybe enough to help them medal, but not win.

Incidentally, 2015 was one of the rare times (in the last 20 years) that Cadets won a regional.  San An.

2 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

lol.  But not champion-ship level GE or visual performance. You could argue that they were still underscored in those, maybe enough to help them medal, but not win.

Incidentally, 2015 was one of the rare times (in the last 20 years) that Cadets won a regional.  San An.

I loved that show - one of my top 10 favorites. However, the guard staging left so much more to be desired. There are several places where you could almost 'feel' where guard should be located on the field to compliment a particular musical moment, but they weren't there. I think this hurt their GE score more than switching to black hurt their visual score...

I don't think drill needs to be changed to staging to win. Carolina Crown's drill is full of Jeff's influence and at least they are in the discussion. I don't think his drill is a liability. In the 2015 show I thought it was the strength of the corps, not the weakness. I would say they lost because the show theme was one dimensional. 

Staging is the "in" thing right now. I think there's a way to incorporate killer drill and staging in a way that creates incredible visual effects and still make it look like The Cadets. 

The visual program needs an overhaul and if that means get rid of the drill and stage then so be it. I just am not ready to put the blame on that as the reason The Cadets haven't won. 

Edited by East9900
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, East9900 said:

I don't think drill needs to be changed to staging to win. Carolina Crown's drill is full of Jeff's influence and at least they are in the discussion. I don't think his drill is a liability. In the 2015 show I thought it was the strength of the corps, not the weakness. I would say they lost because the show theme was one dimensional. 

Staging is the "in" thing right now. I think there's a way to incorporate killer drill and staging in a way that creates incredible visual effects and still make it look like The Cadets. 

The visual program needs an overhaul and if that means get rid of the drill and stage then so be it. I just am not ready to put the blame on that as the reason The Cadets haven't won. 

That show was hampered by the silly ten theme as well as a dirty guard since GH had run off the guard team to SCV 

and changing the ending three times put the corps behind their peers in cleaning 

then the judging community didn’t like the color scheme change. The rest is history 

mostly I completely agree with your thesis 

a modern approach to staging along with traditional drill could be the best way forward 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I personally loved Jeff's drill at Cadets in 2015 and I personally like it at Crown this year. But I don't see any way to argue that the visual and effect judges share these preferences in 2019.