The Cadets 2019

Just now, HolyNOLA said:

Let me help you 

"That being said, our angst towards you guys was really because of Hop. We absolutely hated him and the way he treated y'all. But Cadets members were some of the most classiest and respectful members I ever interacted with"

Thanks. I should have better quoted your comments. Assuming this hate was back some years ago, to what are you referring. And why do you not like the Blue Devils? I know some older Blue Devils and they seem pretty cool.

39 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Worst possible time slot for San Antonio

BD is going last. I'm waiting for BD to go undefeated the rest of the season and make everyone super sad

It definitely seems teed up for this. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Thanks. I should have better quoted your comments. Assuming this hate was back some years ago, to what are you referring. And why do you not like the Blue Devils? I know some older Blue Devils and they seem pretty cool.

They always acted cool if they were beating you, but if you were beating them they acted like complete jerks. Would yell obscene stuff at us at any given opportunity, wouldnt socialize in the lot after shows. They loved to call us f*gs at retreat because we were all-male. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Correct. But to go on 10th, the Cadets would have had to be set in the 10-11-12 trio and that was not going to happen. They were safely in 9th, so regardless of their score from Denver they were going to be in that trio. Unless, they were to beat the Cavaliers.

The only thing that would have kept them out of the 7-9 group would have been something like the Crossmen beating them in Denver.

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

The only thing that would have kept them out of the 7-9 group would have been something like the Crossmen beating them in Denver.

True. Forgot that possibility.Good Pickup.

10 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

They always acted cool if they were beating you, but if you were beating them they acted like complete jerks. Would yell obscene stuff at us at any given opportunity, wouldnt socialize in the lot after shows. They loved to call us f*gs at retreat because we were all-male. 

so you marched in the Cavaliers or Madison? What years? I guess I am surprised. I hung in the lots for my share of nights and the Blue Devils were usually at the center of the party:-) Actually, when the Cadets came along they kind of took the wind out of their sales. I know some of my buddies were not used to losing. Maybe you are talking about an earlier time? I just did not find them to be crazy

2 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

The order makes sense. They get placed in 3's and then DCI picks.

So even with the scores they have, Cadets were still in the 9th slot. I have a feeling DCI decided that BK, BK and Cadets were 7-8-9. Once they were slotted the order would be set. There was no way possible Cadets would be 10th. They had outscored Mandarins even with their Casper score. With a Denver score, Cadets would still be 7-8-or 9. 

judges can hold numbers. so if they feel the need to go back and adjust, they will.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exitmusic said:

In my day, we’d have run through a brick wall for that guy on most days. He was for some of us the only father figure we had. Sad, yes, but I wouldn’t broadly say that he treated us poorly. We rehearsed a ton but we also needed to rehearse a ton because individually we weren’t exactly BD-level talent. IMO. 

You are absolutely correct. It’s amazing how much revisionist history is out there now. From the 80’s until about 2014, GH was a giant. He could be polarizing, but everyone knew “The Cadets way” and understood that it was consistent with long term success on a scale only exceeded by BD. So even the people who didn’t like GH respected the corps, and probably grudgingly respected him on some level as well. Many of the kids who marched for him looked on the experience as life changing in a positive way. What virtually no one knew (and those few who did should be eternally shamed) was that beneath the success, the quirky exterior, and the periodic bouts of annoying narcissism was a darkness that ruined lives and reputations in more ways than has been reported to this point. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

You had one hell of a show. I spent so much time hating on the cadets back then because you were the enemy. Now that I'm older I can sit back and appreciate what you guys were doing and remember that I got into the activity because of the Cadets. 

That being said, our angst towards you guys was really because of Hop. We absolutely hated him and the way he treated y'all. But Cadets members were some of the most classiest and respectful members I ever interacted with. 

#### I never thought of myself being considered the "enemy" lol...But I get it. I was cocky (well, maybe I still am), back in 2000 because we were winning so much, but never to the point of being disrespectful to other corps, especially in uniform. In Cadets, you just did not do that. 

14 hours ago, exitmusic said:

In my day, we’d have run through a brick wall for that guy on most days. He was for some of us the only father figure we had. Sad, yes, but I wouldn’t broadly say that he treated us poorly. We rehearsed a ton but we also needed to rehearse a ton because individually we weren’t exactly BD-level talent. IMO. 

1 hour ago, Icer said:

You are absolutely correct. It’s amazing how much revisionist history is out there now. From the 80’s until about 2014, GH was a giant. He could be polarizing, but everyone knew “The Cadets way” and understood that it was consistent with long term success on a scale only exceeded by BD. So even the people who didn’t like GH respected the corps, and probably grudgingly respected him on some level as well. Many of the kids who marched for him looked on the experience as life changing in a positive way. What virtually no one knew (and those few who did should be eternally shamed) was that beneath the success, the quirky exterior, and the periodic bouts of annoying narcissism was a darkness that ruined lives and reputations in more ways than has been reported to this point. 

Right. This is why I was extremely angry and disappointed at the news that came out last year. Everyone who marched Cadets during his era knew the standard and knew to pay attention to detail...all the way down to how the drop sash was supposed to be lined up with the stripe. THAT is what I miss most about being in Cadets. 

• Like 5

Is the performance in San Antonio going to hurt the Cadets?  I have seen the show (video/streamed) several times.  Though I feel the Cadets some great talent, I really don't care for the drill and visual this year.