The Cadets 2019

22 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Is the performance in San Antonio going to hurt the Cadets?  I have seen the show (video/streamed) several times.  Though I feel the Cadets some great talent, I really don't care for the drill and visual this year.  

Nah I don’t think the performance times will make much of a difference 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Nah I don’t think the performance times will make much of a difference 

I agree... with the "hold/revisit the scores" dynamic, not as big of a deal anymore.

• Like 1

Back when Cadets were winning as many titles and medals as BD (or more), were they still not drawing the top talent? Didn't I hear that the 1985 corps was so good that they really didn't rehearse much relative to other corps (or at least other Cadets corps)?

18 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Back when Cadets were winning as many titles and medals as BD (or more), were they still not drawing the top talent? Didn't I hear that the 1985 corps was so good that they really didn't rehearse much relative to other corps (or at least other Cadets corps)?

They had solid experience in 85 but in the 80s SCV and BD had top

3 hours ago, Icer said:

You are absolutely correct. It’s amazing how much revisionist history is out there now. From the 80’s until about 2014, GH was a giant. He could be polarizing, but everyone knew “The Cadets way” and understood that it was consistent with long term success on a scale only exceeded by BD. So even the people who didn’t like GH respected the corps, and probably grudgingly respected him on some level as well. Many of the kids who marched for him looked on the experience as life changing in a positive way. What virtually no one knew (and those few who did should be eternally shamed) was that beneath the success, the quirky exterior, and the periodic bouts of annoying narcissism was a darkness that ruined lives and reputations in more ways than has been reported to this point. 

Very true points and well stated for such a touchy subject. I agree. This is why we all were sad and angry at what all this did to the Cadets. I certainly disagreed with him on many issues, but also thought he did some excellent things. The members of the Cadets always worked hard, pushed to the end of tour, and so many of them have gone on to achieve great things in life. It's just sad that the guy who inspired many of them was also a criminal underneath his own message. He did things he preached to his corps to NOT do.  In the end he engaged in criminal behavior and that tends to overshadow any message he may have had for his corps or for the greater DCI community.  This should be a lesson to everyone, but sadly these types of crimes are being committed daily in this country. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree... with the "hold/revisit the scores" dynamic, not as big of a deal anymore.

BD got the big penalty a few years back that knocked them to fourth in prelims.  Didn’t make any difference.  They still won the whole thing. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

BD got the big penalty a few years back that knocked them to fourth in prelims.  Didn’t make any difference.  They still won the whole thing. 

Was that for a late gate time? I remember it happening but forget what it was for. 

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

judges dont take penalties into account when they judge their sheet. Look at BD's recap and you'll see they were at the top before the penalty.  By your thinking, the judges should slot the corps based on where they go on, which is NOT how it is to work.

BD was 2nd in GE, 1st in visual and 3rd in music. 2nd overall before the .5 penalty, .625 out of first

Edited by Jeff Ream