The Cadets 2019

Just now, PamahoNow said:

Hope you sent your RSVP in.  Qualified or not.  They invited you to join after all.  It is only polite.

I aged out 30+ years ago.  I'm assuming I got the email because I paid $150 for my child to attend to the November 2018 camp to audition for Cadets2.  The corps was disbanded three days later.   Another example of poor timing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

The problem seems to be unless you know all the background no one has any idea what this show is about. Way too complicated for a drum corps show and the average fan. People sitting next to me asked "what the heck was this about???" Not good.

That she thought to do a show about female empowerment though the lenses of a monarch( A woman given power because of ancestry and divine right, not through tangible skill, etc.) is so mind bogglingly out of touch with what Feminism or Female Empowerment stands for, it's crazy. 

He who shall not be named did a better job of what the 2019 show is trying to do in the first minute of the 2007 show:

"I believe in community, yes, I see we’re all different, but together, what we can accomplish is amazing.

I believe in hard word, we can achieve great things with practice and more practice.

I believe in choice, no matter what the World brings, this is my life and I get to choose.

We believe in Progress, and we will continue to work towards what we say is possible.

We believe in the power of Community, Practice, Choice, Progress. We believe in Now."

• Like 2

Just now, DFA1970 said:

Maybe one thinks they’re desperate for members. Talented members. I don’t know. 

I would consider such an announcement as a major plus.  It should be obvious that Cadets have done the financial analysis and think they can accomplish the season without the income from camp fees.

Again, what's bad about cutting fees for members?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I would consider such an announcement as a major plus.  It should be obvious that Cadets have done the financial analysis and think they can accomplish the season without the income from camp fees.

I don't think it's a bad thing either.   I simply found the timing interesting; I'm confident this decision was made weeks ago.  I don't know what was the size of turnout for the "Music Is Cool" clinic held a few weeks ago before the MetLife show.

Edited by ykw

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Might it increase the number of potential auditionees? Yes. Does that mean that they will likely see an increase in the number of kids who are fundamentally not serious enough about drum corps to be seriously considered for a spot? Also yes, since those kids can do it as a lark, rather than making a serious investment.

I also agree with George; the timing, coming on the heels of the perception of the corps struggling this summer, is less than great.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1