The Cadets 2019

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

just because the admin do something for 2020 now doesn't mean anyone has given up on the current corps. Jesus

?? where did you get 2020 from?? Referring to 2019 not 2020. Jesus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Cline said:

This would have been a great song for SCV back when they did By The Time I Get To Phoenix. I like Academy's version. They do a proper job with it as a ballad.

But then, there are these versions:

I just don’t like the song. Never have.  Just a personal choice. 

i also can’t stand Stairway to Heaven despite loving zeppelin.  We got up and left a concert by a great zeppelin cover band because they started playing it.  Jim said I’m out and I said I’m right behind you. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, geluf said:

The net competitive effect of this would be zero.

There's a sentiment I see often where the "solution" to a competitive slump is for a corps do "something, something, tradition".

"Tradition" is nowhere on the scoring rubric. In terms of actual effect on placement, it has none.

What *does* is show design that either keeps up with or improves on current design trends. A 9th place Cadets that walks out with maroon and gold tomorrow is a 9th place Cadets that happens to be wearing maroon and gold.

I don't think anyone harbors the assumption that strapping into the wool will magically solve all of our issues.

I think the point is that everything we've ever tried that *wasn't* in the maroon and gold has been an absolute failure. When we are in uniform, at least we know who we are. When we are in some kind of half-baked costume, we can't seem to design a show.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

I don't think anyone harbors the assumption that strapping into the wool will magically solve all of our issues.

I think the point is that everything we've ever tried that *wasn't* in the maroon and gold has been an absolute failure. When we are in uniform, at least we know who we are. When we are in some kind of half-baked costume, we can't seem to design a show.

You have to move forward. Your roster changes every year, kids have no clue what history is or what it means. You create your new history.

• Like 5

My worry is how many times can you present the wrong staff; how many times can you present the wrong show design before the members don't trust enough to comeback. Tnen all the top auditioners go elsewhere. This is my worry. There is no more pride in putting on that Cadet jacket. It is now putting on a costume you don't what it is going to be till just before move in. That is my worry!

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

You have to move forward. Your roster changes every year, kids have no clue what history is or what it means. You create your new history.

I agree that we have to go someplace, but at this point I'd rather take a year and do a "vintage Cadets" thing and get 8th place than keep trying and failing to play someone else's game.

Also, our kids know our history. More than anything else, they know our history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Much as I love the Maroon & Gold, it's absolutely the last thing they should think about doing this year. Tradition and history are great things, but there is no evidence that they are a path to competitive success.

There is no shortcut, IMO. If Cadets want to move back up, they will have to afford, hire and retain a staff that can produce exciting and competitive programs under today's adjudication. Judging from other corps' experiences, we should probably expect like a 5 year turnaround project if they have their finances in hand and make good staff decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, exitmusic said:

I agree that we have to go someplace, but at this point I'd rather take a year and do a "vintage Cadets" thing and get 8th place than keep trying and failing to play someone else's game.

Also, our kids know our history. More than anything else, they know our history.

Why waste a year going backward? Just create the best new cadets show ever imagined.