The Cadets 2019

18 hours ago, dans said:

The Cadets arrangement of BOTW is very uninspiring and void of any emotional connection. And the tag at the end is just awful.

Do you mean the park & bark at the end of the BOTW or the tag at the end of the show? I don't know what the vis caption head was thinking when he put in the tag. It's very slow, not very dramatic, not energetic. What happened to the sort of drill from 2015/2016, the absolutely crazy kaleidoscopic symmetrical 200bpm tags, the run& guns? Did no one think to suggest that?

• Like 1

Just now, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

Do you mean the park & bark at the end of the BOTW or the tag at the end of the show? I don't know what the vis caption head was thinking when he put in the tag. It's very slow, not very dramatic, not energetic. What happened to the sort of drill from 2015/2016, the absolutely crazy kaleidoscopic symmetrical 200bpm tags, the run& guns? Did no one think to suggest that?

I was mostly referring to the tag at the end of BOTW. However, the tag at the end of the show is lacking as well.

5 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Thank you for your very constructive criticism. 

IMO, the Scouts' issue was attempting to move forward by moving back. Why hire people who were great at drum corps a generation ago?

Let's accept that the next few years are going to be absolutely brutal. Let's hire young designers and let them do their thing. How old was Sully in 1982? How old was GZ in 1982? 

Let's do a Cadets show next year. I'm not saying we break out Elk's Parade and Rocky Point Holiday by any means. I'm not saying that we literally break out the maroon and gold. I'm saying we do a show that plays to our historical strengths rather than attempt to play the game that everyone else plays now, and frankly we just aren't good at.

Let's do something with a positive vibe that makes people happy (see: Bluecoats 2019) and focus on bringing back the standard of excellence that has been built since 1982 or so. Let's do something we can clean. Let's get a pedestrian 8th place next year and remember who we are.

Let's go off the ####### deep end in 2021.

100% for a show that doesn’t seek to push or present:

1. A social agenda

2. Social studies in general

3. A holiday 

4. Bizarro world a la Statues

In other words, a good idea that is fun.

• Like 3

Finally saw the show. Feels like 2017 in that every time they make a change that improves things, they change something else that makes it worse, with the overall effect that the overall design quality stays the same, but without getting as clean as it might have otherwise.

E.g. to the good: having the brass actually finish out the phrase at the end of BOTW before the tag; to the bad: adding voice back in.

• Like 1

Cadets have two days at UMS 

time to make a big change imo

my pick would be pulling the tag bee bop ending off BOTW and end it majestically - that 30 seconds are the worst in the show 

Just push the brass into a big wedge or block toward the audience 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

my pick would be pulling the tag bee bop ending off BOTW and end it majestically - that 30 seconds are the worst in the show 

I would really like to see that tag pulled. I didn't like the gospel thing they tried and removing most of it but leaving the tag now makes even less sense.

I still really want them to bring back the big hit in BOTW- that was probably one of my favorite moments of the show and then they decided to impress the judges with their use of dynamics and lost the moment IMO.

I agree with pulling the tag in BOTW. It has the opposite of its intended effect - it leaves an emotional void at the end of this segment, where there is so much room for a huge impact (and I'm not talking about the in-your-face kind of impact...I'm talking about pull-on-the-heartstrings type of impact). Heck, I felt more watching several BOTW lot videos/warmups from years prior (yes, albeit Gino's arrangement). 

To me, the biggest area of need is "Just." It seems like a blank minute and a half of some featured guard work, weird choreography, and defrocking the "queen." Can't they add a few drill moves here before the drumline and brass finally come back in? There's nothing visually or musically appealing happening at all in this section. It might be too late for this, unless it's already in the works. I understand its intended purpose within the show, but it just feels like filler material. 

Anyway, enough about show design. Keep going, Cadets! Looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work over the next few weeks. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Thank you! The tag ending of BOTW (with the soloist screeching into the mic) was cringeworthy Saturday night. Troubled that anyone in the Cadets organization thinks this sounds good. Way below the Cadets standard of excellence.