The Cadets 2019

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

You underestimate the drive and passion that these people have for the Cadets. They still have the Cadets strongly in their minds and it is their Corps. No matter where they go, they have a strong emotional connection to the Cadets. And getting beat by Mandarins last night, is putting things into focus that they need help.

I could see scenarios where Crown and Boston voluntarily move on from Ryan and Jeff, Ryan because Boston wants to up their arrangers to the very top echelon of the activity, and Jeff because they tried this avenue and it did not work for Crown who still have aspirations to medal every year. Rick Subel working with Jeff at Paramount I believe have developed a strong working relationship and are comfortable with each other. 

wikipedian_protester.png

• Like 1

Just now, ftwdrummer said:

wikipedian_protester.png

My wife, A Cadet HOF member has an intensely strong personal Friendship with these people having served on the same staff with them for several years at Cadets. We all catch up every year at WGI and have discussed the situation at Cadets in passing. There are no ill feelings towards the Cadets from any of the parties mentioned.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

You underestimate the drive and passion that these people have for the Cadets. They still have the Cadets strongly in their minds and it is their Corps. No matter where they go, they have a strong emotional connection to the Cadets. And getting beat by Mandarins last night, is putting things into focus that they need help.

I could see scenarios where Crown and Boston voluntarily move on from Ryan and Jeff, Ryan because Boston wants to up their arrangers to the very top echelon of the activity, and Jeff because they tried this avenue and it did not work for Crown who still have aspirations to medal every year. Rick Subel working with Jeff at Paramount I believe have developed a strong working relationship and are comfortable with each other. 

You may be right, but it still looks like they would be trying to go forward by looking to the past.  This does not work very often.

5 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

You may be right, but it still looks like they would be trying to go forward by looking to the past.  This does not work very often.

The scenario working on staff during the Hop Era was often very restrictive, Creatively they where often stifled and everything had to be approved by GH himself. GH would often make changes to the Guard book on the fly, Add extra counts to music, change things the day of and expect the change to be in during the show that same night.

The staff knowing how it was just went in and did their job towards the end of their past Cadet careers and did not bother to be creatively invested in the show, Truly a dictatorship.

This group of individuals have the ability to create something that is tried and proven. The Cadets. They are The Cadets.

Unproven, Untested Designers despite being "new or Fresh" wouldn't be Cadets, it would be something else. And I would venture to say that What the Alumni want are THE Cadets. Not something else. 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I'm not sure that going out and cherry picking from Crown and Boston is the way to go.  

I'd much rather "the powers that be" were looking closely at some of the WGI designers who are "up and coming".  

I think a design team of "young and hungries" might be a better fit to re-energize the Cadets.  

(will duck and cover)

it's amazing the activity has changed so much that the only way to stay relevant is to go out and look for WGI designers and wear WGI costumes.  Not bashing where things are in the activity, just stating fact.  

Personally I don't like it however - the Cadets are what got me into drum corps.  Fast tempos, amazing drill, awesome music with lots of mellophone runs, etc.   it's not like that anymore.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

While it is frustrating, I will say it's deserved. As much as it pains me to say this, this show is where it should be and the corps beating them deserve to be on top. 

The only silver lining is the farther they fall, perhaps the more of a wake up call it will be to make drastic changes next season. 

i think the wake up call has happened, but there were no instant fixes mid season. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

it's amazing the activity has changed so much that the only way to stay relevant is to go out and look for WGI designers and wear WGI costumes.  Not bashing where things are in the activity, just stating fact.  

The visual people have been coming from the WGI world since the late 70s. This is nothing new.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

You underestimate the drive and passion that these people have for the Cadets. They still have the Cadets strongly in their minds and it is their Corps. No matter where they go, they have a strong emotional connection to the Cadets.

Yeah whatever. People don’t fit into these hot and cold categories. Cadets are great and legendary but I can assure you time marches on. Whatever pull “legendary history” has on you—it does not have on everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The visual people have been coming from the WGI world since the late 70s. This is nothing new.

Yes they have. Scott Chandler designed WGI groups for decades. From State Street Review to San Jose Raiders to James Logan SW. it’s nothing new.