The Cadets 2019

2 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Wrote something, but erased it.  I think that some with a Cadet background have difficulty seeing the future without a large component of the past.  There is something about having too much history.

Interesting. Sometimes... the history and the brand are things that are not directly seen or heard but woven into the fabric of the organization. Those are more important, IMHO.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

is it time to split the world class division into 2 different ones?  older style drum corps groups v/s WGI/BOA anything goes groups?   sound crazy I know but...you have Cadets, Phantom, Madison, groups like that who have won but aren't keeping up with the (crazy) trends.  The crowds today can still be wowed by fast tempos good music crazy drill without having spandex on props and half the corps mic'ed  call me crazy old school whatever that's fine, but it won't be much longer before woodwinds come into play... then I think it's time for the 2 divisions honestly because at that point drum corps is basically summer BOA/WGI

ready for the backlash to my post from some in 3...2...1...

What would be the purpose? I would also bet my bottom dollar that Cadets and Phantom don’t see themselves as the “other” group.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Really seem to be fascinated by Spandex, there.

Go watch the alumni corps show at DCA and see how the crowd (such as it is - a few hundred people at best) responds to old style drum corps. Then ask a bunch of 18 year olds "hey, would you guys rather march a show like Bluecoats or Vanguard, or do a 1990s style show?" and see what kind of response you get.

Cadets have a bad show concept and only average talent in the horn line this year. They also have an excellent percussion section and I hope for their sake that they end up beating Boston in percussion in Indy,  just to show the Boston BOD a big middle finger when it comes to staying relevant even when someone else buys away your top instructional talent.

They'll figure it out, as long as their alums stay supportive and the corps leadership is given the opportunity to make mistakes or miscues as they come up with the new identity of the corps, one free from GH. They'll be fine, in other words.

I get what you're saying but you can't compare DCA corps and shows to something like Cadets, Phantom's, or Madison's 90's - early 2000's style shows.   apples and oranges

I still feel like some of those shows would bring crowds to their feet... they just wouldn't score well because they aren't playing the "game" now and therein lies the problem imo

drum corps has evolved (right or wrong) to WGI outdoors

Edited by dcibrando

3 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

I agree completely.  SCV in the 2000s and 2010s when they were finishing in the 4th to 7th range, almost always had one of my very favorite shows.  They were good, very good.  But since 2017 they changed.  And for the better.  Each of the last three shows have been excellent.  Bluecoats started making a transition in 2013 (at least) and have been a leader since then.  And the Blue Devils have been right up there using the new technologies and methodologies.  

Bluecoats do have an emphasis on tradition.  Each year they spend an evening with "History Night" .  I'm sure many corps do something similar.  And they have their own traditions (penny, six words, Autumn Leaves).  But they have made a new tradition of being innovative, fun, challenging the status quo, even making mistakes at times and learning from them.

I also agree about Crown's show.  Good/Great Show.  I like it.  But it is a 4/5 show at best.  And I see why you equate their show to classic Cadet shows.

Cadets can again become competitive and I would love to see this.  They have tried to use electronics effectively, but I don't think they have been successful.  They have tried "costuming", but again do not seem comfortable with what they are doing.  I've expressed it elsewhere, they need to do a fun show about something or nothing important, just good music, with a visual package that communicates that fun.  Dark Shows, Relevant Shows, Important Shows should be forgotten.  

the awesome thing about Bloo's alumni is they are totally on board with the innovation and being different. People I know that marched there in the 80's totally dig what the corps is doing, scores aside. Too many corps alumni hate when there is deviation from the norm, "the way", and hence the issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcibrando said:

is it time to split the world class division into 2 different ones?  older style drum corps groups v/s WGI/BOA anything goes groups?   sound crazy I know but...you have Cadets, Phantom, Madison, groups like that who have won but aren't keeping up with the (crazy) trends.  The crowds today can still be wowed by fast tempos good music crazy drill without having spandex on props and half the corps mic'ed  call me crazy old school whatever that's fine, but it won't be much longer before woodwinds come into play... then I think it's time for the 2 divisions honestly because at that point drum corps is basically summer BOA/WGI

ready for the backlash to my post from some in 3...2...1...

the crowds can be wowed, but will the judges? 

and woodwinds won't come into play. $$$$$

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Really seem to be fascinated by Spandex, there.

Go watch the alumni corps show at DCA and see how the crowd (such as it is - a few hundred people at best) responds to old style drum corps. Then ask a bunch of 18 year olds "hey, would you guys rather march a show like Bluecoats or Vanguard, or do a 1990s style show?" and see what kind of response you get.

Cadets have a bad show concept and only average talent in the horn line this year. They also have an excellent percussion section and I hope for their sake that they end up beating Boston in percussion in Indy,  just to show the Boston BOD a big middle finger when it comes to staying relevant even when someone else buys away your top instructional talent.

They'll figure it out, as long as their alums stay supportive and the corps leadership is given the opportunity to make mistakes or miscues as they come up with the new identity of the corps, one free from GH. They'll be fine, in other words.

yup. it's going to take time. my fear now is desperation leads to attempts at quick fixes that make it worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcibrando said:

I get what you're saying but you can't compare DCA corps and shows to something like Cadets, Phantom's, or Madison's 90's - early 2000's style shows.   apples and oranges

I still feel like some of those shows would bring crowds to their feet... they just wouldn't score well because they aren't playing the "game" now and therein lies the problem imo

drum corps has evolved (right or wrong) to WGI outdoors

to an 18 year old, you can compare. G brass? 2 valves in some cases? those uniforms? no electronics? to an 18 year old today, anything 80's and 90's is before they were born. Like me watching corps play songs from the early 60's. it's old. 

• Like 3

Right, having a son with multiple saxophones, a clarinet and a flute, I can attest to the fact that maintenance is difficult.  And he never marched, let alone traveled 10000 miles a summer competing.  Those suckers are difficult animals.

Another busy day of rehearsals. They did NOT present their new ending last night

should be more adjustments and cleaning based on the schedule they are running today 

Rehearsal Site

Franklin County HS
833 Bypass Rd

WinchesterTN 37398

Daily Schedule:

9:30 AM Wakeup / Breakfast

10:15 AM Stretch Basics

10:45 AM Block 1

1:45 PM Lunch

2:45 PM Block 2

5:45 PM Dinner

6:45 PM Block 3