The Cadets 2019

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Really seem to be fascinated by Spandex, there.

Go watch the alumni corps show at DCA and see how the crowd (such as it is - a few hundred people at best) responds to old style drum corps. Then ask a bunch of 18 year olds "hey, would you guys rather march a show like Bluecoats or Vanguard, or do a 1990s style show?" and see what kind of response you get.

Cadets have a bad show concept and only average talent in the horn line this year. They also have an excellent percussion section and I hope for their sake that they end up beating Boston in percussion in Indy,  just to show the Boston BOD a big middle finger when it comes to staying relevant even when someone else buys away your top instructional talent.

They'll figure it out, as long as their alums stay supportive and the corps leadership is given the opportunity to make mistakes or miscues as they come up with the new identity of the corps, one free from GH. They'll be fine, in other words.

So rediculous that you are that bitter about Colin. The staff change corps all the time. The Cadets are not dropping because they lost staff, but because they kept some around. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, garfield said:

I would consider such an announcement as a major plus.  It should be obvious that Cadets have done the financial analysis and think they can accomplish the season without the income from camp fees.

Again, what's bad about cutting fees for members?

That depends. Corps typically don’t generate much if any revenue over the winter and that money needed to operate the corps has to come from somewhere. And from what I’ve been hearing from those I trust, they are no longer allowed to funnel money from USBands to run the Cadets. So will they just jack up the tour fees to make up the difference as a sort of misdirection? Will they lower tour fees as well and go on a more limited tour? I guess we’ll find out. 

5 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Cadets have a bad show concept and only average talent in the horn line this year. They also have an excellent percussion section and I hope for their sake that they end up beating Boston in percussion in Indy,  just to show the Boston BOD a big middle finger when it comes to staying relevant even when someone else buys away your top instructional talent.

All’s fair in love and war. If you had the money to spend on your favorite corps in order to help them rise up the ladder, wouldn’t you go out and find the best design/instructional talent you could? I know I would.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My son must be totally boring. He listens to Pink Floyd, The Who. Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc. I told him to get his own music and he told me “No. My generation’s music $u€ks!”

That's exactly what my nephew said. Bunch of other young people are saying that too. Oh well....  No way they want perform music  sourced from different times, I guess...

(Sarcasm)

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

So rediculous that you are that bitter about Colin. The staff change corps all the time. The Cadets are not dropping because they lost staff, but because they kept some around. 

I don't have a dog in that fight at all. Boston threw money at a problem rather than building from within. It's one approach, but not one I have a lot of respect for.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My son must be totally boring. He listens to Pink Floyd, The Who. Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc. I told him to get his own music and he told me “No. My generation’s music $u€ks!”

#thathappened

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

As it stands now, the Cadets might beat Boston in percussion at finals.  Will the Cadets show a middle finger to other corps who have some of the Cadets top instructional talent from recent years?  It seems all of those top instructors are quite happy with their new corps.  Then, maybe your frustrated because the Cadets request for financial assistance from other corps didn't happen.  Please do not apply for any PR positions with the Cadets.  Their train is back on the tracks and doing well without your help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

...and, to the younger crowd, boring.

O.K, the Walkman was invented in 1979, so perhaps a few kids had them on tour in 1980. So let’s say you’re on the bus with 27th Lancers. Do you really think they’re listening to “Danny Boy” and “English Folk Song Suite?” Or that Bridgemen are getting down to songs from the Civil War? You think a young man on a Madison bus is enjoying the soundtrack to “They’re Playing My Song.” My guess, and since I graduated in 1981 is that with the exception of Chuck Mangione who was popular with drum corps marchers and fans, the bus would have been divided into three musical categories: the rock crowd that hated pop and disco, the disco crowd that hated rock and pop, and in the middle the pop crowd who liked some rock and pop, and this would have been as true for Phantom with their pure classical shows and North Star that did venture into radio hits. 

Prior to a winter camp where source music is announced, I do not think much of the source music is on the playlists of most marching members. When it comes to drum corps, I think how the music is used and arranged matters more than the era. So if “The Itsy Bitsy Spider” and “Shine Little Glowworm, Glimmer” were arranged in a way that guaranteed gold, kids would play it. As to playlists they have what generations before them would have selected and what generations after will choose: what they like. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:17 PM, George Dixon said:

3, this "less than kempt" person designed THIS - show some respect

I get it was a different time. However, for a corps known for straight legs, those are some severe knee bends.