The Cadets 2019

3 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Watched about 2 hours of ensemble rehearsal today. They repped their way through the closer as you'd expect, and otherwise spent most of the remaining time on Estancia. It sounded like they felt the Atlanta show went fairly well. As always, looking for consistent confidence as well as the little details of body movement. Techs engaged all over the field, as they should. Members seem engaged and, well, Cadets.  

Have some issues with a wheel that likes to come off a prop. Also having some issues getting the folks on the props in time for the ending seconds. 

thanks for sharing - as you say, expected focus

the props at the end they turn to an angle - the really should just move them forward and have the members run up them - more effective visually IMO

Just now, chris ncsu said:

Watched about 2 hours of ensemble rehearsal today. They repped their way through the closer as you'd expect, and otherwise spent most of the remaining time on Estancia. It sounded like they felt the Atlanta show went fairly well. As always, looking for consistent confidence as well as the little details of body movement. Techs engaged all over the field, as they should. Members seem engaged and, well, Cadets.  

Have some issues with a wheel that likes to come off a prop. Also having some issues getting the folks on the props in time for the ending seconds. 

Two other things.

The buddy I'm with likes the show well enough, particularly Estancia. He understands the complaints about just not buying into the programming. 

The other thing--i guess I'll whine a little here. Until last night I don't think I've read show threads for shows on Flo, where people can be as snarky as they want watching a video. I wasn't surprised at the dislike of what the Cadets are performing, it's pretty universal and I don't like the design either. I was a little surprised at how really hateful it was. I felt like it was 2006/07/08 again, or 2010. You can say anything you want, of course, and I can just stay away from it, just was surprised at the piling on vitriol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

thanks for sharing - as you say, expected focus

the props at the end they turn to an angle - the really should just move them forward and have the members run up them - more effective visually IMO

I wish we didn't have to look at the backside of the props at that point. But i understand that it allows the stair tops to face each other. Still seems like "oh yeah gotta do something with the props here."

38 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

I wish we didn't have to look at the backside of the props at that point. But i understand that it allows the stair tops to face each other. Still seems like "oh yeah gotta do something with the props here."

Agreed 

another design decision of questionable taste

the should just pull the props forward and together and then position players on them in various poses at the close - that would be classy and quicker 

Ok Cadets last year as you made your way closer to home turf you caught fire. Tap that magic again 

• Like 3

Is the part where the stairs form an X and the members run on them and do a pass-through, if you get what I mean... is it supposed to be coordinated? Last night people just kinda ran, sometimes clumping into each other at the top

26 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Is the part where the stairs form an X and the members run on them and do a pass-through, if you get what I mean... is it supposed to be coordinated? Last night people just kinda ran, sometimes clumping into each other at the top

it doesn't look clean at all - not even sure if they are trying for clean - maybe it's meant as a scatter/freeform

I hate it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it doesn't look clean at all - not even sure if they are trying for clean - maybe it's meant as a scatter/freeform

I hate it.

I interpret it as motion for the sake of motion. It doesn't seem to serve any other purpose. The battery gets frantic and the motion gets fast. Not inspired.

Just now, chris ncsu said:

I interpret it as motion for the sake of motion. It doesn't seem to serve any other purpose. The battery gets frantic and the motion gets fast. Not inspired.

correct

not sure why they felt the need to do that at all in the do better section

A better plan would have staged the props up from - 2 in center and 1 on either side say at 35 yard line and put the snares on the center on and the bass on side 2, tenor on side 1

all the percussion features ON THE PROPS while the corps is doing actually DRILL and whispering do better, we can all do better - no electronics over the drumming imo 

3 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

The point in the show where the props become a liability to worry about is the point where the show design has surely failed. mov1, 2, and 3 do an excellent job of doing what they're supposed to do, but 4 & 5 fail at that. it begins to stagnate story-wise, and if your show is story-based, it needs to constantly be advancing. No room for character development, Darcie.