The Cadets 2019

Finally made it to a rehearsal. WTF are the brass guys doing? They spent all this time in pairs for some reason. They'd play something on their mouthpieces, and then the instructor would say, "Raise your hand if your partner didn't do it perfectly." And they went on and on and on like this for half an hour. I have no idea what the point was. It was all very negative and a lot of "YOU ARE NOT GOOD!" comments.

There are 13 days left. CLEAN. THE. BOOK. Pump the kids up.

Not whatever this garbage was.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

Finally made it to a rehearsal. WTF are the brass guys doing? They spent all this time in pairs for some reason. They'd play something on their mouthpieces, and then the instructor would say, "Raise your hand if your partner didn't do it perfectly." And they went on and on and on like this for half an hour. I have no idea what the point was. It was all very negative and a lot of "YOU ARE NOT GOOD!" comments.

Have some/all of the brass staff been fired since the spring?

18 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Have some/all of the brass staff been fired since the spring?

I have no idea. I only know that when it was time for ensemble, the only person in the box was Tom Aungst, who was giving brass corrections. Yikes.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Almost in 8th cadets.  Hope they felt good about the performance. 

• Like 1

PLEASE SUPPORT THE ORGANIZATION AT THEIR TWO SHOWS THIS WEEK!

DRUM CORPS: AN AMERICAN TRADITION - ANNAPOLIS, MD

TOUR OF CHAMPIONS - CHESTER, PA

You can feel the surge coming, the same way that it came in Allentown last year!

12 hours ago, exitmusic said:

While some of that is concerning (especially at this time of the year), I think the purpose is to improve their ears as to what's right and what's wrong. I think it's about knowing when something doesn't sound right and identifying it. If you can't identify a problem, you will not get better. I'm not sure I completely agree with a partner making that determination. Not all players are the same and if you have a partner that can't hear the problem, then that doesn't help either. 

I do disagree that pumping the kids up is what they need to improve. Being critical and analytical will. Telling them how good they are (which they aren't and they know it) isn't going to get them where they want to be. At the same time, you do have to give them a pat on the back from time to time, but mostly they need to continue to be critical if they want to get better. Never settle. 

I 100% agree that they need to clean the book. As to my previous comment, if you can't identify a problem they can't get better. While there must be accountability from the players, that exact same accountability must be done with the staff. It almost sounds like they want the members to do the job they should be doing and that is incredibly concerning. Stuff like this is things that sound like should have been done in Spring Training, not with only a few weeks left to go. It sounds a bit like the staff is in over its head and the results so far seem to support that. 

12 hours ago, exitmusic said:

. . . and yet they beat the Blue Stars in brass in Winston-Salem last night -- a corps they had been trailing all month long. Kinda hard to figure. All season long we've been scratching our heads about the limited amount of full-ensemble playing time in the Cadets show. Just two days ago in Atlanta there were intonation problems all over the field. Then, 24 hours later, they get a brass score that says not only are they outplaying Stars, but their book is better, too.

I'd welcome a DCI brass adjudicator stepping to the microphone to explain it, because I can't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

. . . and yet they beat the Blue Stars in brass in Winston-Salem last night -- a corps they had been trailing all month long. Kinda hard to figure. All season long we've been scratching our heads about the limited amount of full-ensemble playing time in the Cadets show. Just two days ago in Atlanta there were intonation problems all over the field. Then, 24 hours later, they get a brass score that says not only are they outplaying Stars, but their book is better, too.

I'd welcome a DCI brass adjudicator stepping to the microphone to explain it, because I can't.

Cadets beat Stars in brass by the same amount in Hattiesburg. 

10 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

PLEASE SUPPORT THE ORGANIZATION AT THEIR TWO SHOWS THIS WEEK!

DRUM CORPS: AN AMERICAN TRADITION - ANNAPOLIS, MD

TOUR OF CHAMPIONS - CHESTER, PA

You can feel the surge coming, the same way that it came in Allentown last year!

We do the Chester/Allentown shows because the Finals dates always over lap with my step daughters’ HS band camp back home. I love the Talen venue in Chester. Great big sound and a nice cool breeze off the river. And what can you say about Birney Crum Stadium? It’s the same now as when I first started going in ‘84. The car show, polka fest, and a few Yocco’s hot dogs. That spells a great time in my book. Let’s hope for fair weather. Go Cadets!

• Like 2