The Cadets 2019

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Reminds me of this dude I marched with in 1999 who went to BD in 2000....then we won (well, tied). 

After we didn’t make finals in ‘77, a lot of people left and since Kilties were allowing women, a bunch of them went up to Racine in ‘78.  We ended up ahead of them in finals.  I laughed and laughed.  

The next year, I wasn’t marching but two or three guys from the corps went up to Scouts.  Guardsmen were 7th at finals and Scouts were 8th.  I laughed and laughed. :laughing:

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I don't think I knew about the BD one, but I specifically remember marching with a mello player in 99 that went to SCV in 2000. 

I can't speak for either, but I kind of understand their decision a little after how rough '99 was. I know I would have been kicking myself had I done the same. 

For those of us that remained loyal, it certainly paid off. I don't even mean by winning: that show was so much fun to perform and the attitude of the corps and the summer in general was about as different as they get.

Also goes to show how much of a difference show design can have on a group of performers and their mental state. I truly feel for this year's corps.

I was painfully loyal.  It would have been easy to have driven a little further up I-90 to Rockford but I stayed in Schaumburg.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was painfully loyal.  It would have been easy to have driven a little further up I-90 to Rockford but I stayed in Schaumburg.  

I used to take offense to it, but I really don't any more. To some people, loyalty isn't a value that they hold to them. It doesn't make them bad people or anything, it just doesn't mean as much. In '99, a lot of people joined The Cadets for one reason and one reason only: they won the year before. I think that's what added to some of the anger in '99. We weren't in the run for the title and some people just couldn't accept it.  

Going back to the previous discussion, I believe there was a trumpet player in '99 that left in the middle of the summer and she joined BD that same summer. I don't think we found out about it until we saw her in a BD uniform later that summer. Moving from one corps to another in different seasons is one thing. Doing that during the same summer I take issue with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, East9900 said:

I used to take offense to it, but I really don't any more. To some people, loyalty isn't a value that they hold to them. It doesn't make them bad people or anything, it just doesn't mean as much. In '99, a lot of people joined The Cadets for one reason and one reason only: they won the year before. I think that's what added to some of the anger in '99. We weren't in the run for the title and some people just couldn't accept it.  

Going back to the previous discussion, I believe there was a trumpet player in '99 that left in the middle of the summer and she joined BD that same summer. I don't think we found out about it until we saw her in a BD uniform later that summer. Moving from one corps to another in different seasons is one thing. Doing that during the same summer I take issue with. 

Oh, I don’t now either. I was only paying $325 to march. Plus, I was a local kid.  It was different back then 

11 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Reminds me of this dude I marched with in 1999 who went to BD in 2000....then we won (well, tied). 

ahhhh Previc LOL

On 8/1/2019 at 11:10 AM, dcikon2 said:

You stated your feelings about the show in a great way.  This show is difficult to reach many people.  In fact, it may be one of my least favorite Cadets shows of all time.  I do hope the Cadets have a show next year that reaches the crowd and future recruits.

Interesting observation on this year's show.  I think the 2018 show from the ballad to the end may be one of my favorite shows of all time.  The first half, I just wasn't crazy about the dominant musical theme (Crusaders seemed to do a better job mixing the same piece into their show).  But under the circumstances, to come up with that pretty much on-the-fly was really impressive.  And the kids left it all out on the field, which helped as well.  Honestly, I thought that coming off 2018 and with a full planning cycle, the corps would have been able to put together a higher scoring show.  But I generally don't judge the success or failure of a year by the placement (except for 2014, which was a missed opportunity), so as long as the corps is cohesive and the attitude is good, 5th, 7th, 9th is not a big deal to me.  Hopefully the kids will have the same feeling of accomplishment when they conclude their finals run next weekend.

Edited by Icer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A random thought I had--would it make sense to move Shanefield over to the program coordinator position to open up the brass slot, rather than just push him out entirely?

His tenure as the brass guy at Cavies clearly showed (to me) that with him writing your brass, you'll go as far as the visual side will take you (average placement 3rd with Gaines; average placement 7.5th without, with the asterisk that the 9th place in 2015 has as much to do with the corps plague that year).

His tenure as program coordinator at Bluecoats, otoh, was marked by audience-forward, engaging, enjoyable shows (Connexus, Criminal, The Knockout), and I daresay he did excellent work given the circumstances last year.

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

A random thought I had--would it make sense to move Shanefield over to the program coordinator position to open up the brass slot, rather than just push him out entirely?

His tenure as the brass guy at Cavies clearly showed (to me) that with him writing your brass, you'll go as far as the visual side will take you (average placement 3rd with Gaines; average placement 7.5th without, with the asterisk that the 9th place in 2015 has as much to do with the corps plague that year).

His tenure as program coordinator at Bluecoats, otoh, was marked by audience-forward, engaging, enjoyable shows (Connexus, Criminal, The Knockout), and I daresay he did excellent work given the circumstances last year.

Thoughts?

I don't think it matters so much as having a good team.  One thing GH failed to recognize as the craft evolved, was that one person could no longer do it through the force of their own personality.  There are just too many moving parts.  Drew is extremely talented (plus being a first class individual).  I would almost say let him decide what interests him the most and then go out and get individuals who will work well with him (and Tom, etc).

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

Thoughts?

Wasn't Drew essentially program coordinator or maybe it was artistic director last year? Whichever one it was, he gave it up either because he was stretched thin or because he thought he wasn't fantastic in that role, or maybe both.

Count me as one who's not very impressed with his brass writing. I think it's tended to lack clarity and impact, and when needed it's lacked subtlety.

• Like 2