The Cadets 2019

To be honest, I say give staff folks 3 years and watch for growth.  If there's growth, hold onto them, as long as they buy into the vision of the director and board.  

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

To be honest, I say give staff folks 3 years and watch for growth.  If there's growth, hold onto them, as long as they buy into the vision of the director and board.  

I don’t think so 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Icer said:

I don't think it matters so much as having a good team.  One thing GH failed to recognize as the craft evolved, was that one person could no longer do it through the force of their own personality.  There are just too many moving parts.  Drew is extremely talented (plus being a first class individual).  I would almost say let him decide what interests him the most and then go out and get individuals who will work well with him (and Tom, etc).

I marched with Drew.  He's the real deal.  I hope they keep him in whatever capacity he wants to be in.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

After we didn’t make finals in ‘77, a lot of people left and since Kilties were allowing women, a bunch of them went up to Racine in ‘78.  We ended up ahead of them in finals.  I laughed and laughed.  

The next year, I wasn’t marching but two or three guys from the corps went up to Scouts.  Guardsmen were 7th at finals and Scouts were 8th.  I laughed and laughed. :laughing:

Yea, Fred the soprano screamer.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, ftwdrummer said:

A random thought I had--would it make sense to move Shanefield over to the program coordinator position to open up the brass slot, rather than just push him out entirely?

His tenure as the brass guy at Cavies clearly showed (to me) that with him writing your brass, you'll go as far as the visual side will take you (average placement 3rd with Gaines; average placement 7.5th without, with the asterisk that the 9th place in 2015 has as much to do with the corps plague that year).

His tenure as program coordinator at Bluecoats, otoh, was marked by audience-forward, engaging, enjoyable shows (Connexus, Criminal, The Knockout), and I daresay he did excellent work given the circumstances last year.

Thoughts?

It isn't working. It didn't work with us during his first tour of duty in the mid-90s. It's time for an entirely new brass team and an entirely new creative team. He's a lovely person and an excellent arranger, but... it's time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

so I took a stop watch to the brass playing - they play exactly 7:43 of the program

As bad as that is ...  so much of the book is broken up into group features - trumpets only, mellos only, tuba's only, etc. ...  that I calculated only 5:24 for lead trumpets.  Take away the soloist times, and it might even be worse for 2nd/3rd trumpets.  It's utterly abhorrent.   If these kids had wanted to spend a fortune to dance all summer, they could have gone to the Abby Lee Dance Center instead.  

379355.jpg

Edited by Eleran
fixed typo in time to add back 13 more seconds
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1