The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

As bad as that is ...  so much of the book is broken up into group features - trumpets only, mellos only, tuba's only, etc. ...  that I calculated only 5:24 for lead trumpets.  Take away the soloist times, and it might even be worse for 2nd/3rd trumpets.  It's utterly abhorrent.   If these kids had wanted to spend a fortune to dance all summer, they could have gone to the Abby Lee Dance Center instead.  

379355.jpg

We've got ballet, we've got modern dance, we've got hip hop...

On 8/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, exitmusic said:

It isn't working. It didn't work with us during his first tour of duty in the mid-90s. It's time for an entirely new brass team and an entirely new creative team. He's a lovely person and an excellent arranger, but... it's time.

Tom Aungst is part of the creative team.  So, you are saying to get rid of him?  Really??

Also, as for Drew, he is a big reason why Cadets had the performers they did this year.  Drew is a very positive, encouraging person.  In my opinion, he was the perfect person to have on the team at this point in time.

They need to do the same thing EVERY corps needs to do at the end of each season.  They need to analyze where they are, where they want to be next year and beyond, and exactly what they need to do to get there.  Analyze every aspect of the equation.

4 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Tom Aungst is part of the creative team.  So, you are saying to get rid of him?  Really??

Yes, as part of the creative team, especially if it was his idea to bring in Darcy. IMO, he's at his best when he can focus on teaching.

Also, as for Drew, he is a big reason why Cadets had the performers they did this year.  Drew is a very positive, encouraging person.  In my opinion, he was the perfect person to have on the team at this point in time.

They need to do the same thing EVERY corps needs to do at the end of each season.  They need to analyze where they are, where they want to be next year and beyond, and exactly what they need to do to get there.  Analyze every aspect of the equation.

I understand and agree that Drew is great. It still isn't working. The absolute lack of quality coming out of the brass sections this season is appalling.

• Like 3

Darcie did an interview early in the season talking about things they wanted and did not want.

Two things stood out: 1. Wanted an engaging show with emotion and a story. 2. Wanted fast paced drill   (not her exact words btw)

Neither of those visions happened. The show's story is hard to follow and many people just don't get it. Plus there are very few moments that make the crowd want to stand up and cheer. 

A lot of this has to do with the decision to fire the drill writer. Obviously it's hard to achieve #2 and I'm sure it also played a role into #1. While it had a huge impact on the end product, I still put a large chunk of the blame on the design staff. They knew what they were getting from him. They took a risk by expecting something out of him he had yet to do. They should have gotten rid of him in the fall. Was there literally no other option? I think not. 

As for the percussion/brass performances: Drumline is a non issue, so that's good. Brass is totally different. Book is not inspiring, but I don't see that as big of an issue as I do the execution. There are technical issues that have not improved not to mention musicality and phrasing. Either 1. the members aren't good enough or 2. the brass staff isn't good enough to identify the issues or fix them, or 3. There is a disconnect between what the staff wants and the brass members understanding what they are being taught or why they are being taught in the way they are. 

Regardless of reason, ultimately the blame has to be placed on the staff. I believe a good staff will elevate the performers no matter how good/bad they are. This staff for whatever reason isn't getting it done. You can blame it on the writing, but the performance of the writing isn't even close to being flawless. If they were executing the music at a higher level, then I would probably put far more blame on the writing. 

I won't speak of the guard because I don't know even close to enough. All I will say is that the drill design probably hurt them the most. I don't know if I can say the staff is the issue or the writing is the issue. 

The reflection on this season needs to be serious and change has to come in some areas. Drill absolutely needs a world class makeover. Design staff doesn't need to be fired, but they seriously need to look in the mirror and get a better product on the field for these members. Brass staff needs some change as well, but I am not ready to say they need to clean house... at least not yet.

Edited by East9900
  • Like 2

Are these the same Cadets that used to be called the Garfield Cadets then Bergen County Cadets? I’m 62 and went everywhere with my sister, parents, Uncle growing up. I read tubas  is an instrument and possibly singing. I was thinking of dragging my husband to a competition but now I’m not sure. Any polite response would be appreciated

On 8/3/2019 at 11:03 PM, Tony L. said:

So, I think the performers are doing pretty much what they are being asked.  It is just a problem with the what they are being given to perform.  I think they finish in 8th.  And there is nothing wrong with that!  

I agree that 8th is most likely where they place, maybe 7th, but that's a long shot. I thought in Allentown they gave an enthusiastic performance, and they enjoyed performing it. I often use the pit as a gage for Cadets enthusiasm. Their faces and intensity can often tell a story, and they were fully engaged. Saturday night they loved what they were doing and according to a Cadet parent who stayed in the same hotel I did, they’ve tried to be excited about the show but it’s been challenging. Mid season had its challenges. 

My only suggestion, which no drum corps has ever asked for and never will but I will anyway, is to turn “Do Better” into a drum solo without vocals. I understand why it is in the show, but when placement has been not what is hoped for, it does send a mixed message. Do you mean better as far as compassion and understanding which the show tries to inspire, or do you mean better as far as placement and performance are concerned?

13 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Darcie did an interview early in the season talking about things they wanted and did not want.

Two things stood out: 1. Wanted an engaging show with emotion and a story. 2. Wanted fast paced drill   (not her exact words btw)

Neither of those visions happened. The show's story is hard to follow and many people just don't get it. Plus there are very few moments that make the crowd want to stand up and cheer. 

As for the percussion/brass performances: Drumline is a non issue, so that's good. Brass is totally different. Book is not inspiring, but I don't see that as big of an issue as I do the execution. There are technical issues that have not improved not to mention musicality and phrasing. Either 1. the members aren't good enough or 2. the brass staff isn't good enough to identify the issues or fix them, or 3. There is a disconnect between what the staff wants and the brass members understanding what they are being taught or why they are being taught in the way they are. 

Regardless of reason, ultimately the blame has to be placed on the staff.

Perhaps your observations are correct. Wanting a show with emotion and a story might be the starting point of the discussion. The Cadets have done stories before with much success. For me their 2011 show was just such a show. Totally agree that their Brass Book is not inspiring. Just comparing Academy's version to Cadet's version of Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Academy wins hands down. Reviewing Dr. Shanfield's Bio, he seems to have the experience and credentials for the Cadets. Branden Hill on the other hand seems to be a little less qualified. Wish the Cadets had been stronger this year in lieu of past issues.

The concept is hard to follow, no matter how many videos they release breaking it down. and yes the percussion is amazing, but the total musical package is well....not engaging. Trying to be too deep can be limiting.....if it wasn't, it's possible BK, the masters of too deep, would place better annually. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree that 8th is most likely where they place, maybe 7th, but that's a long shot. I thought in Allentown they gave an enthusiastic performance, and they enjoyed performing it. I often use the pit as a gage for Cadets enthusiasm. Their faces and intensity can often tell a story, and they were fully engaged. Saturday night they loved what they were doing and according to a Cadet parent who stayed in the same hotel I did, they’ve tried to be excited about the show but it’s been challenging. Mid season had its challenges. 

My only suggestion, which no drum corps has ever asked for and never will but I will anyway, is to turn “Do Better” into a drum solo without vocals. I understand why it is in the show, but when placement has been not what is hoped for, it does send a mixed message. Do you mean better as far as compassion and understanding which the show tries to inspire, or do you mean better as far as placement and performance are concerned?

I would love it if they cut the vocals there.  It is hard to watch.  

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

The reflection on this season needs to be serious and change has to come in some areas. Drill absolutely needs a world class makeover. Design staff doesn't need to be fired, but they seriously need to look in the mirror and get a better product on the field for these members. Brass staff needs some change as well, but I am not ready to say they need to clean house... at least not yet.

I agree with you. They do need someone to write drill who actually stays on board for the summer and can make changes.  But I also agree with your last comment. I, too, am not ready for them to make wholesale house cleaning changes. They have other things to deal with. Things that are financial, including things like rebuilding their youth offerings and perhaps re-branding their identity (YEA, etc.).  Their are lawsuits to deal with, etc. I applaud that they wanted to honor and respect women with this show, but that is a tough thing to put on the field. They took it too far and were too literal with the theme. Hopefully they learned their lesson and from here on out do fun shows. 

• Like 1