The Cadets 2019

21 hours ago, dans said:

All of the designers in DCI need to learn a lesson from the Bluecoats. Pick a theme that DOESN'T rely on a storyline! Bluecoats are very entertaining and easy to understand without an underlying storyline. Honestly, when I watch modern drum corps, I completely ignore the storyline.

This.

Look at "Tilt".  That show completely changed the game moving forward even if it didn't win outright (although everyone I know remembers that show more than BD's from that year, not a knock on BD, just an example of how Tilt changed the field).  It paved the way for Downside Up two years later.

Simple themes that can be played with in multiple ways visually and musically.  While I don't think the "narrative" show style is inherently inferior, I think the delicate balancing act of story vs. effect is much harder to accomplish with them.  If you aren't dead-on in your design and execution, they completely fall apart.

In shows like "Tilt" or those like it, you're jumping from moment to moment.  One weak aspect doesn't have time to settle before you're on to the next thing.

54 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If there's two things I compliment the 2019 Cadets for, it's their resilience and the decision to ditch the boring Americana music

Yeah. No more Shostakovich or Respighi. 

Wait. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah. No more Shostakovich or Respighi. 

Wait. 

If you were trying to make a joke, it flew over my head. Care to explain?

I think he meant that neither composer (from 2015 and 2016) was American, which really goes more to my comment about Cadets using American music more than your comment about them moving away from it.

However, even the Resphigi in 2016 was balanced with John Mackey for half the show, similar to prior use of American wind ensemble composers, not just orchestral composers like Copland and Bernstein.

Edited by Eleran

38 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I only need to look at what Crown is doing this year to know that fast drill, good music and good performers in all captions still works. It takes a special show concept to win Gold now but I don't doubt that if Crown had a strong concept to go along with all of that drill and music that they would be able to contend for a championship.

To me Crown is what the Cadets would look like if the Cadets staff from the 5 years ago didnt leave.

Lots of different ways to skin a cat.

I've made this argument over and over on Facebook. Crown clearly believes that you can still do fast drill and be successful, and they're clearly showing it. I've called them my mini-Cadets all season. 

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

They lost the uniform.  They lost the intense drill.  They lost the quality classic, Americana source music. 

What exactly about 2019 is "trying to be Cadets"?   

when was the last time intense drill won? I see a team trying to balance two masters...Cadets alumni demand for all things Cadets past, and an activity that doesn't reward that anymore.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I only need to look at what Crown is doing this year to know that fast drill, good music and good performers in all captions still works. It takes a special show concept to win Gold now but I don't doubt that if Crown had a strong concept to go along with all of that drill and music that they would be able to contend for a championship.

To me Crown is what the Cadets would look like if the Cadets staff from the 5 years ago didnt leave.

Lots of different ways to skin a cat.

To me they look like Cadets the last time they sniffed a medal.....2015. Key word sniffed.

29 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think he meant that neither composer (from 2015 and 2016) was American, which really goes more to my comment about Cadets using American music more than your comment about them moving away from it.

However, even the Resphigi in 2016 was balanced with John Mackey for half the show, similar to prior use of American wind ensemble composers, not just orchestral composers like Copland and Bernstein.

What he said. 

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when was the last time intense drill won? I see a team trying to balance two masters...Cadets alumni demand for all things Cadets past, and an activity that doesn't reward that anymore.

Years ago there was movie called "Stick It".

It had a scene where gymnasts purposely "defaulted" ,to show the judges who was in control in their activity.

They talked about their "fake medals".

The same thing can apply to drum corps.

Play to the sheets and get a wood trophy.

Or play to the audience  and  enjoy the adulation.

I heard this at last weekend's Easts : "if I want art,I go to a museum.

If I want dance,I go to Broadway.

I want Drum Corps, and I'm not getting it tonight."

Also heard this :" All the show designers want to do is please the

Judges.

Keep doing that,and only the Judges will be watching."

Granted the two people who said this marched in the 80's.But if enough corps decide to follow Crown's lead,the sheets can be changed.

• Like 1