The Cadets 2019

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

Years ago there was movie called "Stick It".

It had a scene where gymnasts purposely "defaulted" ,to show the judges who was in control in their activity.

They talked about their "fake medals".

The same thing can apply to drum corps.

Play to the sheets and get a wood trophy.

Or play to the audience  and  enjoy the adulation.

I heard this at last weekend's Easts : "if I want art,I go to a museum.

If I want dance,I go to Broadway.

I want Drum Corps, and I'm not getting it tonight."

Also heard this :" All the show designers want to do is please the

Judges.

Keep doing that,and only the Judges will be watching."

Granted the two people who said this marched in the 80's.But if enough corps decide to follow Crown's lead,the sheets can be changed.

This isn't really happening, though.  The Bluecoats or BD, for example, aren't picking either/or.  They're playing to the judges AND to the audience and the reactions they get bear that out.

Young people *are* enjoying it, and that is who DCI is targeting here.  These kids are used to the current direction of the activity because they participate in their HS marching bands, WGI groups, etc. Those corps that are winning right now still get tons of audience adulation from the exact demographic DCI wants to impress.  For them, this IS Drum Corps.  It's not going back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when was the last time intense drill won? I see a team trying to balance two masters...Cadets alumni demand for all things Cadets past, and an activity that doesn't reward that anymore.

I see Cadets alumni just demanding......BETTER. 

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

I just want a product that I'm proud of. I don't care if we come in ninth. Just make something awesome, at the level of Cadets quality.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've made this argument over and over on Facebook. Crown clearly believes that you can still do fast drill and be successful, and they're clearly showing it. I've called them my mini-Cadets all season. 

My wife Emma saw them live in Buffalo and has declared them her Favorite show this year.. I told her.... (Its because they are the cadets you marched and taught for 15 years)

She laughed and agreed... 

March, Play, and Spin your butt off all around the field. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

My wife Emma saw them live in Buffalo and has declared them her Favorite show this year.. I told her.... (Its because they are the cadets you marched and taught for 15 years)

She laughed and agreed... 

March, Play, and Spin your butt off all around the field. 

Wait, this isn't the same Emma who was guard captain in 2000 is it? 

Also I dont know if has been said but Jon Bilby is responsible for the drill re-write in the closer and I think the closer they performed at Allentown was light years better than what was there before. Really does have a felling of 2008 Cadets with the Signature Cadets ending to an otherwise flop of a show that reminds you who The cadets are again... 

3 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Wait, this isn't the same Emma who was guard captain in 2000 is it? 

Correct, I'm sure she know who you are remembers you, but yeah thats my wife.. Emma Roberts.. "Consistency Creates Results" 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, geluf said:

This isn't really happening, though.  The Bluecoats or BD, for example, aren't picking either/or.  They're playing to the judges AND to the audience and the reactions they get bear that out.

Young people *are* enjoying it, and that is who DCI is targeting here.  These kids are used to the current direction of the activity because they participate in their HS marching bands, WGI groups, etc. Those corps that are winning right now still get tons of audience adulation from the exact demographic DCI wants to impress.  For them, this IS Drum Corps.  It's not going back.

Based of Friday night's crowd reaction,BD didn't exactly bring down the house.

The Bluecoats did get a strong audience  reaction.But I think that has a lot to do with with playing

familiar music.

The Scouts and Crown got the audience on their feet.

If by "young people" you mean H.S. kids and current MM ,maybe they are enjoying it.

But you couldn't tell from the applause.

I also don't know how many of these people will follow the activity when they aren't marching

anymore.

Didn't see many "young adults" at the Easts.

As for "going back",DCI has shown,time and time again, not to be very

savvy at a number of things.

Guess will find out over time,if this is yet another example of that.

Edited by rpbobcat

40 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Years ago there was movie called "Stick It".

It had a scene where gymnasts purposely "defaulted" ,to show the judges who was in control in their activity.

They talked about their "fake medals".

The same thing can apply to drum corps.

Play to the sheets and get a wood trophy.

Or play to the audience  and  enjoy the adulation.

I heard this at last weekend's Easts : "if I want art,I go to a museum.

If I want dance,I go to Broadway.

I want Drum Corps, and I'm not getting it tonight."

Also heard this :" All the show designers want to do is please the

Judges.

Keep doing that,and only the Judges will be watching."

Granted the two people who said this marched in the 80's.But if enough corps decide to follow Crown's lead,the sheets can be changed.

I agree. However competitive placement is important...look at this thread for hundreds of posting bemoaning it. Look at the Madison thread bemoaning it despite posts saying they designed this year to get the corps applause.  So trying to appease both makes it only harder. I do think design team changes are needed, if the corps has the money to go get names that can make it happen. I'd keep the percussion team. And yes, Crown may end up 3rd.....only because Vanguard hasn't done enough to keep their show there, not because Crown has a visual package that makes Cadets pine for 83-15.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

yet you and other in here have posted exactly what I have said. Pick your argument.