The Cadets 2019

5 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Based of Friday night's crowd reaction,BD didn't exactly bring down the house.

The Bluecoats did get a strong audience  reaction.But I think that has a lot to do with with playing

familiar music.

The Scouts and Crown got the audience on their feet.

If by "young people" you mean H.S. kids and current MM ,maybe they are enjoying it.

But you couldn't tell from the applause.

I also don't know how many of these people will follow the activity when they aren't marching

anymore.

Didn't see many "young adults" at the Easts.

As for "going back",DCI has shown,time and time again, not to be very

savvy at a number of things.

Guess will find out over time,if this is yet another example of that.

I thought BD got one of their best Allentown reactions since 2014. Far better than SCV got.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I thought BD got one of their best Allentown reactions since 2014. Far better than SCV got.

No question,it was better then SCV.

But,from where  I was sitting,the biggest audience response was for the Bluecoats,Crown and Madison.

Edited by rpbobcat

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

No question,it was better then SCV.

But,from where  I was sitting,the biggest audience response was for the Bluecoats,Crown and Madison.

Madison came across as more due to the last time being all male.

47 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I heard this at last weekend's Easts : "if I want art,I go to a museum.

If I want dance,I go to Broadway.

I want Drum Corps, and I'm not getting it tonight."

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. To pretend two similar forms of performance art (broadway & drum corps) are absolutely different and don’t overlap is ignorance at its finest. And to pretend that neither overlap under the term “art”...yea. Sheer stupidity.

All this hand-wringing over drill is for naught. Cadets are staring down 9th/10th with a monstrously talented corps because the design team gave them an ill-conceived, poorly-written show to perform. Cadets dropped out of medals in 2015 because they too were performing a poorly-written and glaringly flawed design, not because they marched too much drill. Crown is struggling in GE this year because the show doesn’t make sense as a whole and none of the ideas they are intending to portray are coming through in the visual package or overall effect, not because they’re marching too much drill. BD succeeds because all of their design choices make sense, not because they eschew drill for staging.

Moral of the story: perform a show with tons of drill, or very little. Just make sure it’s written with purpose and an intent to bring out the musicality and bring clarity to the program. Cadets don't move forward by trying to capture what is and isn’t popular in design; they move forward by simply putting out a show that makes sense in every aspect —- a task that was not met in the slightest this year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

That is what he said. 

- Copland's Lincoln Portrait, from 2014's Promise: An American Portrait

Now THAT was some lame Americana stuff right there. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. To pretend two similar forms of performance art (broadway & drum corps) are absolutely different and don’t overlap is ignorance at its finest. And to pretend that neither overlap under the term “art”...yea. Sheer stupidity.

That's your opinion,and your entitled to it.

But so is the woman who said what she did.

She didn't say Broadway and drum corps didn't overlap.

She said that's not what she considers drum corps.

In my opinion,there was one good crossover between drum corps and Broadway.

It was called "Blast".

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

That's your opinion,and your entitled to it.

But so is the woman who said what she did.

She didn't say Broadway and drum corps didn't overlap.

She said that's not what she considers drum corps.

In my opinion,there was one good crossover between drum corps and Broadway.

It was called "Blast".

They share the basic aspects of moving while making music, and the movement is supposed to highlight the music and further portray the idea that’s coming across.

It’s not hard to see. She’s entitled to her opinion. She’s also wrong.

Seems to me the flaw in this year's show is that it is not artistically coherent.  Things happen and they just do not make any sense collectively.  The performers are doing all they can, but honestly if this show was being done by a corps in the group just out of finals, they woud be lucky if they made top 17 or so.  

At this point it is simple:  enjoy what you can about the show and the performances and work on things next year.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

Seems to me the flaw in this year's show is that it is not artistically coherent.  Things happen and they just do not make any sense collectively.  The performers are doing all they can, but honestly if this show was being done by a corps in the group just out of finals, they woud be lucky if they made top 17 or so.  

At this point it is simple:  enjoy what you can about the show and the performances and work on things next year.  

I agree with that. The corps members are busting their tails out there, but they were not given moments that make the crowd want to stand up and cheer.

There's something that this design team did that really makes me feel like they don't get it. Early in the season, they actually had a really great moment in BOTW when the entire horn line came in strong. Instead of feeding on that, they took that moment away and catered to the judging panels by throwing in multiple dynamic changes. As a result, they absolutely ruined that moment in the show. For the "story" the original version seemed to fit as well as it felt like a huge moment for the character. Changing the music also changed the moment and ruined that as well.

• Thanks 1