The Cadets 2019

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

disappointing? Maybe on your POV. I doubt the kids feel disappointed unless placement is a huge focus of their day. Plus the competition around them gets better and deeper every day.

The kids did the best they could to date, and have 3 more runs to do it better. After all, Do Better is half the show ( feels like it anyway)

Really...and where did I say anything that made you come to these conclusions? Reading comprehension!

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Also very true. There's been some discussion that the members sign up really not knowing what the program will be and a lot of trust is involved. I think if one goes for a message, that the membership would need to be aware early on so they can decide if they wish to buy in on it or not. 5k is a lot of money.

At the time of the first audition camp there is little that can be shared about a show.  The group will definitely have a new drill designer and possibly other new design staff.  It may take a little time to hire these people.  Even if this weren’t the case, there is very little that can be set in stone by November.  A lot of listening and talk of concept has to take place, and then there’s the fun of securing rights to arrange music.  February is more realistic for any sort of program “reveal” to potential members.  First drafts of a movement or two may be in members hands by December or January.

The best assurance any corps can provide to potential members is the design and instructional staff they secure.  For the Cadets, I imagine there will be change here.  Hopefully, careful, smart change.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tommeee said:

6th in percussion THIS YEAR is a huge accomplishment!!  They are true performers.  One the most entertaining to watch and listen to.  Thank you, Cadets battery and front ensemble!!!

I love their percussion...one of the snares is a former student of the band I arranged for and worked with.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

5K?  wow that is a lot of money..I agree wholeheartedly that the mm's should at least be aware of what they're getting into..when I marched dues were like 50 bucks a month...there were also dinosaurs still walking the earth!!

DCI says it's 3500 USD a year average for World class, but add in various additional fees, and other expenses, it's about 5K. IIRC circa 1980... Crossmen were 750 a year. Westshoremen in DCA were about 150 a year. I think it's roughly paced with inflation in both cases.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

DCI says it's 3500 USD a year average for World class, but add in various additional fees, and other expenses, it's about 5K. IIRC circa 1980... Crossmen were 750 a year. Westshoremen in DCA were about 150 a year. I think it's roughly paced with inflation in both cases.

Do the corps get sponsorship with electronics and the costume changes every year as well?

4 hours ago, One n Done said:

At the time of the first audition camp there is little that can be shared about a show.  The group will definitely have a new drill designer and possibly other new design staff.  It may take a little time to hire these people.  Even if this weren’t the case, there is very little that can be set in stone by November.  A lot of listening and talk of concept has to take place, and then there’s the fun of securing rights to arrange music.  February is more realistic for any sort of program “reveal” to potential members.  First drafts of a movement or two may be in members hands by December or January.

The best assurance any corps can provide to potential members is the design and instructional staff they secure.  For the Cadets, I imagine there will be change here.  Hopefully, careful, smart change.

Little can be shared, but perhaps something concerning the fact the show in mind might be considered controversial in subject and take a likely hit from the Panels? There's a lot of trust involved for the money and time invested, which also perhaps means that the shows have to be designed to be more 'friendly' in nature by default.

I think with the 'big problem' gone, how much residual effect does it still have with x amount of top end staff getting out and away from the organization? I don't know. In a perfect world there would be none, but I would think there has to be some. Perhaps they won't be able to secure that 'top end' design talent and will have to bank on finding the right capable up and coming individuals who would be willing to come. 

Comments have been also made about the talent currently there. I know they're capable, I know they're fantastic individuals and worthy... but there's also been grousing in various corners that the top talent's been choosing BD, SCV, Crown, and Blue Coats over Cadets for at least 3 years here and elsewhere. It will be very hard to fight their way into the top of that talent pool again. It won't happen in a flash.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Do the corps get sponsorship with electronics and the costume changes every year as well?

Great question- My guess is that would be arranged between the individual corps and the affiliated corporations. It would be logical for a Yamaha Brass line to have Yamaha keyboards and speakers and double up on any deal for instance.

A recent conversation with a DCA staff member regarding the costuming was that they realized it was actually cheaper for the corps to 3-D Print new costumes every season than to buy the more traditional uniform with an expected life of x seasons. THAT, is rather revealing and fascinating to me.

Edited by BigW

15 hours ago, dans said:

Really...and where did I say anything that made you come to these conclusions? Reading comprehension!

it wasnt aimed at saying you said it was disappointing. it was aimed at someone elses post. My bad for not being more clear

#### i had to edit again for missing letters. my bad

Edited by Jeff Ream

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Little can be shared, but perhaps something concerning the fact the show in mind might be considered controversial in subject and take a likely hit from the Panels? There's a lot of trust involved for the money and time invested, which also perhaps means that the shows have to be designed to be more 'friendly' in nature by default.

I think with the 'big problem' gone, how much residual effect does it still have with x amount of top end staff getting out and away from the organization? I don't know. In a perfect world there would be none, but I would think there has to be some. Perhaps they won't be able to secure that 'top end' design talent and will have to bank on finding the right capable up and coming individuals who would be willing to come. 

Comments have been also made about the talent currently there. I know they're capable, I know they're fantastic individuals and worthy... but there's also been grousing in various corners that the top talent's been choosing BD, SCV, Crown, and Blue Coats over Cadets for at least 3 years here and elsewhere. It will be very hard to fight their way into the top of that talent pool again. It won't happen in a flash.

It starts with fielding a fun, edgy show that people talk about regardless of where you place. Right now, I would think Mandarins are a corps you might choose if you wanted to be assured of making finals, and not be competing with college kids who are largely aging out. They have made a place for themselves by fielding cool, fun, and yes dark shows that improve all season long, 

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yes.