The Cadets 2019

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

congrats Cadets percussion 4th in percussion Achvmt and 5th total percussion in an amazing year of great drumming 

Thought the percussion were getting underscored before, so it’s nice to see the great opinion tonight!  What a year for percussion, especially with the top 6 lines.  To be amongst those groups is truly awesome!

• Like 3

Well the design team really did it.

This is the first time since 1981, the year before the first use of Rocky Point Holiday, that The Cadets have not scored a 90 at DCI Finals.

That’s a 38 year streak ended tonight.

Edited by Minimaster
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

Well the design team really did.

This is the first time since 1981, the year before the first use of Rocky Point Holiday, that The Cadets have not scored a 90 at DCI Finals.

That’s a 38 years straight ended tonight.

I feel very sad for the members that their 85th anniversary has to turn out this way. I sure hope the members enjoyed their time at the cadets, despite the design flaws. There has to be some major design staff hires after this or else they may not even be in finals in a few years.

• Like 1

I have to say I really enjoyed the show.  It seemed, at least from the outside, that everyone involved from the students to the staff to the admin to the volunteers did their level best.  One of the best lessons I learned there many years ago was that sometimes you work absolutely as hard as you can, but it still might not be enough.  So enjoy the small victories, and learn from what you can. Whatever anyone thought of the show, as a band director and designer myself, anyone who does that tries as hard as they can, and sometimes it doesn't work.  I know the pedigrees of some of those folks, and I was in the corps with at least one.  They are smart people who have strong creds.  It's generally the case that teams need time to gel.  This team needs time to gel in every area from the top down.  

This is a public forum, and people feel powerful expressing opinions.  We're all human after all.  But maybe a dash of understanding is in order.  At the beginning and for a few weeks, I truly believed it to be possible to actually move up from 7 to 6.  Then San Antonio happened.  It's ok and normal to be disappointed.  But there are indeed many cool moments in the show and lots to remember and enjoy.  Tonight, they had the best run I had seen this season.  They got a true standing ovation.  Other alumni around me both young and old we're proud.  And at retreat, they behaved like the Cadets of always.  The sky isn't falling.  We've been here before.  Were alumni in the 70's kvetching?  Maybe.  How about SCV in the 90's for a bit?  Or Cavs?  Or Phantom and Madison now?  Sometimes your competition is just better.  There are lessons for all, and mostly they don't involve scores.  (An aside....how about Phantom tonight!?  I had chills!  So much improvement!)

Now, time to go back to work!

FHNSAB

• Like 3

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

based on your posts I'm not sure you're fully aware of some of the issues - they changed far too little but frankly a normal situation would have fixed some of this during ST

i'm aware of far more than you will ever give me credit for. thats why i say slow and steady. change doesnt always come fast, and creates bumps along the way, especially when sometimes you try to change too much too fast. 

• Like 3

Don't feel sad for the kids, that's kind of condescending. When a corps is around for 85 years there are competitive ups and downs. They don't have to be the measure of a seasons success. 

A year and a half ago we didn't know if The Cadets would ever take the field again, and a few hours ago the 85th version finished another great season even if the competitive result wasn't as high or the show wasn't as well received as past years.

As an alumni I'm proud of the corps and I certainly hope the members feel like they had a successful season and are looking forward to next year when those who haven't aged out get another chance to build upon this year, just like the corps did after 86, 89, 91, 99, 04, 06, and 10. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm aware of far more than you will ever give me credit for. thats why i say slow and steady. change doesnt always come fast, and creates bumps along the way, especially when sometimes you try to change too much too fast. 

Oh really? I thought change always came overnight. Thanks Captain Obvious lol 

• Like 1

So, as a complete outsider, with no affiliation other than financial contributions over the years, I just want to say Thank You to all of the performers this year.  While we can all spend the hours debating the flaws of the show this year, I still maintain that these performers did what the Cadets have always done:  made the absolute most of what has been given to them through hard work.  

As for 2019, I for one am OK with where this ended this year because there were flashes of what make the Cadets great. Transition is hard and will take time.  Now it is on to next year!