The Cadets 2019

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is perfectly fine.  But sometimes, we overreach.  Like the Troopers with their "first female drum major" PR campaign, this show description felt like an overreach.

I find that shows seem most preachy when they literally preach, using amplified spoken words.  As long as this show tells its story using music and motion, not pre-recorded lecturing from that show description, it should be great.

Such as the protest show recently done which gave me a headache lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

And we wonder why corps don't release show details early. I'm just going to go to ST, watch this thing develop, and enjoy. I read the description of the show once and won't again, because in the end it's what I see and hear on the field that matters to me.  

Exactly!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

To refocus on the program a bit- 

the second to last production is “an original piece by Tom Aungst, Omar Carmenates, and Brandon Carrita that is meant to be a playful, modern, young, and fresh take on the concept that anything you can do, I can do better. If the past generation does something; we want the future generation to do even better”

Are we going to see something akin to the playful “Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better” section of the 2000 show? Tekk Remembers 🙂

Lol I was thinking about that too. 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

And what are those lessons?  Divide ourselves into grievance groups and pit ourselves against each other?  No thank you. This benefits cynical politicians and reprehensible people trying to build themselves up by tearing others down. Yes, I choose to reject that hateful, self-serving attitude in today’s culture. I would like a brief escape from that in drum corps. But apparently that’s too much to ask. 

More like, when things go wrong, you fight hard for what you want. Things don't always have to be cynical, like your last three sentences. How about just let Cadets come out with a performance before we get all bent out of shape? 

It's also telling how so many people seem to be getting offended at a show concept based upon women. 

Edited by 2000Cadet

29 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's also telling how so many people seem to be getting offended at a show concept based upon women. 

Not sure what to challenge first.

- Is the show concept really "based upon women"?  Or is it about power?  Equality?  Diversity?  Unity?  Race?  Ethnicity?  Orientation?  Identity?  Glass ceilings?   (Or something else hinted at in this thread?)

- Has a single person here objected to a show theme about women?  Or are they objecting to that other stuff?  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dans said:

I was extremely disappointed with the essay about the show. Many leftist/progressive buzz words in there. I don't see how this show is not going to be political. It seems as though politics is written into the show theme. I will try to put faith in the new design team and keep telling myself that this is not a George Hopkins production. I have to be honest though, the show description doesn't sound to far removed from Hopkins. Honestly, maybe the show should be called women's suffrage, part 2. And before anyone jumps all over me, I am not anti women. Just confused why women have been made the latest group of victims in America!

i'm disappointed by pretty much every show write up anymore, because everyone is trying to be super deep for the sake of being super deep.

i'll sum 18 to 19 up better and more concise than i did yesterday:

18 was about surviving. 19 is about tackling it and moving onward

honestly....if they ignore it....people will #####. if they address it...people will #####.

Hop or no Hop, it's the Cadets, so someone somewhere will find a reason to #####

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm disappointed by pretty much every show write up anymore, because everyone is trying to be super deep for the sake of being super deep.

i'll sum 18 to 19 up better and more concise than i did yesterday:

18 was about surviving. 19 is about tackling it and moving onward

honestly....if they ignore it....people will #####. if they address it...people will #####.

Hop or no Hop, it's the Cadets, so someone somewhere will find a reason to #####

Agree, on all points.  But especially the first one.  

9 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Agree, on all points.  But especially the first one.  

I’m shocked! You usually love all things Cadets!

hahahahahahaha 

10 minutes ago, EDAVE said:

I hate PC shows!  I get enough this white man shame from the news. Don’t need it while watching a drum corps show.

Then go get a hot dog 

• Like 1