The Cadets 2019

On 5/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, dans said:

I applaud a show honoring women! For heaven sakes, I have a mother, sisters, a wife, a daughter, and on and on. I love women! As long as the show honors women and their contributions to our society, I'm good. My concern, based on some specific verbage in the show description, is that they could easily stray into some highly-charged social issues. Anyhow, I will wait until I see the final product. I do believe the corps will be much improved. We will see how the design comes together in a short amount of time! 

12 minutes ago, dans said:

I had similar concerns from the design videos; however, the first 5+ minutes of the show don't come across as cringey or overly literal. Keep in mind that the Cadets picked up some key staff people (some fresh off of a DCI championship) this season and it shows. This is clearly not the George Hopkins Cadets...that's a good thing!

This is exactly why I tend to listen to and appreciate your thoughts; you've actually seen what they're doing and it has changed your opinion. Thanks for providing some valuable insight, as always. 

I cant recall how many times I've read or heard a design team talk about their show and the themes and wouldn't have had a clue about them if I hadn't been told. 

SCV's show last year is a great example. I had no clue there was an actual theme to the show. Even when I was told about it I kind of scratched my head. 

How about Cadet's show last year? While it was put together in a short period of time, but it did have a design. Those themes weren't done in the way GH did it. I thought the themes were subtle, but existent. A theme can be exhausted in writing, but that doesn't mean it will be exhausted on the field. It's just an outline that gets changed a LOT through time. 

With an entire season to build a show, I expect this one to be put together far better than last year's. If they could do what they do for last year's show in the brief time that they had, I'm very excited to see what they can do. Add on the fact that some say the talent is better and I cannot wait to see the product on the field. 

This year's statement is now moving into a new era for The Cadets and I couldn't be more excited.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I cant recall how many times I've read or heard a design team talk about their show and the themes and wouldn't have had a clue about them if I hadn't been told. 

SCV's show last year is a great example. I had no clue there was an actual theme to the show. Even when I was told about it I kind of scratched my head. 

Me, either.  They were great and deserved their win but I don’t know what it was. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

From the design videos on FB it could be pretty cringey and overly literal.

Well I can only speak from seeing the actual corps yesterday putting the design onto the field

i didn’t notice anything cringeworthy or too literal in the stuff they have on the field so far - I did see some effective staging, fully integrated guard and props and a few spots for well staged features 

the show is clearly not a GH product 

we wont see any spinning Christmas presents, back flipping Jesus or giant gold cross this year - sorry not sorry 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well I can only speak from seeing the actual corps yesterday putting the design onto the field

i didn’t notice anything cringeworthy or too literal in the stuff they have on the field so far - I did see some effective staging, fully integrated guard and props and a few spots for well staged features 

the show is clearly not a GH product 

we wont see any spinning Christmas presents, back flipping Jesus or giant gold cross this year - sorry not sorry 

Hey I liked the presents :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Hey I liked the presents :tongue:

That show was killed by those "mid season" additions - Man, if they would have restaged that ballad front and center and toned down a couple things it could have become a classic

Also bells went on for like 15 minutes - there was that other slight design flaw 😞

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

That show was killed by those "mid season" additions - Man, if they would have restaged that ballad front and center and toned down a couple things it could have become a classic

Also bells went on for like 15 minutes - there was that other slight design flaw 😞

It's a classic to me. Watch it every Christmas. Its a very underrated show imo. I know it's not what people wanted, especially coming off the previous year, but I'll take that rather than the Championship 2: Electric Boogaloo thats been common lately. It's still better than what won that year...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

It's a classic to me. Watch it every Christmas. Its a very underrated show imo. I know it's not what people wanted, especially coming off the previous year, but I'll take that rather than the Championship 2: Electric Boogaloo thats been common lately. It's still better than what won that year...

It’s definitely grown in popularity thru the years 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

That was my first year to be involved in DCI, only as a parent of a member of another corps, I fell in love with that show, finals week.

• Like 2