The Cadets 2019

From the show design videos and stuff we’ve seen it kinda feels like they threw out ideas at the staff meetings and decided to just go with all of them at once. 

I COULD BE EXTREMELY WRONG

Full analysis when I see it in early July

Saw them rehearse for a few hours the early part of this week. I am a lapsed drum corps fan, but they're in the area (and I'm a band director now) so I went to check out their rehearsal for observation's sake. I know people here are starved for content, but I'm gonna be vague since they haven't released anything publicly yet.

I only saw what I'm guessing is the first half of the show. (Opening "Fanfare for the Women", "Just"/"Blueprint", most of "Estancia") - (The repertoire was already released so I don't feel like I'm spoiling anything there)

Brief bulletpoints:

* Man they're loud. I forgot how loud drum corps is. The staff was pretty forward about wanting even more volume than they were producing, so that was a good sign. They were also pretty consistent keeping the sound on the move (even at fast tempos) so that was refreshing. 

* I had a non-music teaching colleague observe with me as well. We both found it incredibly interesting how they deal with various issues we find relatable in the classroom and how the drum corps itself responds professionally to instruction (in comparison to our very unprofessional poverty-ridden elementary/middle school students). I've always read that Cadets are a bit more intense during rehearsals than other corps, but it was refreshing to observe more mature 'students' in a 'classroom'. Whoever is on the mic knows more about music than I will ever comprehend. Lots of times I heard "you were slightly ahead/behind the beat" and I'm trying so hard to hear the difference lol. I felt like a high schooler again struggling to hear basic concepts for the first time.

* There's a lot of modern drum corps stereotypes, but I'm old so whatever I'll deal with it. 2019 drum corps, you just kinda have to accept it's part of the game. I think Cadets have been doing this stuff the past few years so it shouldn't be too surprising.

* Despite those modern stereotypes there was also a lot of stuff that reminded me of classic Cadets' shows. Specifically 93/97/98/2015 regarding tempo changes, tempo speed, and exposed/challenging music; those shows had some insane difficulty keeping things clean while changing tempo and keeping it around 200+bpm.

* I actually didn't know Sacktig wasn't involved with Cadets anymore until I looked at their truck after exiting the stadium and it said something like "In dedication of Jeff Sacktig". I thought he died or something lol I guess he's just at Crown now? The drill seemed fairly "Sacktig"-ish during points of the show.

I have my own opinions on the overall design of the show, but they're not using costumes and I didn't see the full show so there's no real point to valuing that opinion just yet. I don't think anyone should put too much water in those opinions until the first preview is put on the field on the 18th. 

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, NR_Ohiobando said:

Saw them rehearse for a few hours the early part of this week. I am a lapsed drum corps fan, but they're in the area (and I'm a band director now) so I went to check out their rehearsal for observation's sake. I know people here are starved for content, but I'm gonna be vague since they haven't released anything publicly yet.

I only saw what I'm guessing is the first half of the show. (Opening "Fanfare for the Women", "Just"/"Blueprint", most of "Estancia") - (The repertoire was already released so I don't feel like I'm spoiling anything there)

Brief bulletpoints:

* Man they're loud. I forgot how loud drum corps is. The staff was pretty forward about wanting even more volume than they were producing, so that was a good sign. They were also pretty consistent keeping the sound on the move (even at fast tempos) so that was refreshing. 

* I had a non-music teaching colleague observe with me as well. We both found it incredibly interesting how they deal with various issues we find relatable in the classroom and how the drum corps itself responds professionally to instruction (in comparison to our very unprofessional poverty-ridden elementary/middle school students). I've always read that Cadets are a bit more intense during rehearsals than other corps, but it was refreshing to observe more mature 'students' in a 'classroom'. Whoever is on the mic knows more about music than I will ever comprehend. Lots of times I heard "you were slightly ahead/behind the beat" and I'm trying so hard to hear the difference lol. I felt like a high schooler again struggling to hear basic concepts for the first time.

* There's a lot of modern drum corps stereotypes, but I'm old so whatever I'll deal with it. 2019 drum corps, you just kinda have to accept it's part of the game. I think Cadets have been doing this stuff the past few years so it shouldn't be too surprising.

* Despite those modern stereotypes there was also a lot of stuff that reminded me of classic Cadets' shows. Specifically 93/97/98/2015 regarding tempo changes, tempo speed, and exposed/challenging music; those shows had some insane difficulty keeping things clean while changing tempo and keeping it around 200+bpm.

* I actually didn't know Sacktig wasn't involved with Cadets anymore until I looked at their truck after exiting the stadium and it said something like "In dedication of Jeff Sacktig". I thought he died or something lol I guess he's just at Crown now? The drill seemed fairly "Sacktig"-ish during points of the show.

I have my own opinions on the overall design of the show (and the theme), but they're not using costumes and I didn't see the full show so there's no real point to valuing that opinion just yet. I don't think anyone should put too much water in those opinions until the first preview is put on the field on the 18th. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!  

• Like 2

Reply to NR_Ohiobando's post 6-5-2019

Hope I'm not too dated. The corps I marched with competed against The Cadets but to me, They will always be "Garfield". Nothing but class and very long history. 1934 I believe  was their beginning. Have noticed what seems like a lot of bickering about various corps shows. It's refreshing to see a review that's not so opinionated.

Great Post!

Reminds me of the phrase “Just the facts, ma'am.” - This best known quote from the TV series Dragnet was never actually said by Sgt. Joe Friday…or at least not quite. It was used in a pseudo-parody movie with Dan Aykroyd adapting the phrase from two similar statements: “All we want are the facts, ma’am” and “All we know are the facts, ma’am.”

Again, Great Post

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NR_Ohiobando said:

Brief bulletpoints:

I have my own opinions on the overall design of the show, but they're not using costumes and I didn't see the full show so there's no real point to valuing that opinion just yet. I don't think anyone should put too much water in those opinions until the first preview is put on the field on the 18th. 

You had me at LOUD

Thanks for sharing your observations!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

From the show design videos and stuff we’ve seen it kinda feels like they threw out ideas at the staff meetings and decided to just go with all of them at once. 

I COULD BE EXTREMELY WRONG

Full analysis when I see it in early July

I tend to agree with your take - the segments I've seen in person don't come across like that, but in the design videos it's a bunch of mumbo jumbo talking in every direction

• Like 1