The Cadets 2019

Can't say that I loved the uniforms. At least from the theater, they visually looked pretty small and dark in all of the full ensemble shots. Maybe the details on them stands out better live? OTOH, you could see something gold underneath the top on several performers, so I assume at some point the tops are going to come off for a brighter look.

Musically I think it's a decent book with some compelling moments, but visually it was definitely not what I was hoping for.

And ripping off the queen's dress and beating her up on the 50 yard line? I had hoped that we were done with this kind of thing after the departure of He Who Must Be Named.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, East9900 said:

While I agree the judging did send a message, I thought they placed right where they should have. A few others in the theater thought the Blue Stars would pass them and that's just ridiculous. I was hoping they'd be a little closer to Boston, but totally understand why they weren't. Almost 3 points behind Boston- that is no easy feat to come back from. It's not impossible, but very improbable. 

I will admit I didn't pay much attention to the guard.  I am concerned they didn't do much to change my focus to what they were doing. 

I thought Boston was on fire last night and I was surprised to see just how close the Cadets were to them.  Clean, clean, clean without major rewrites is the name of the game.  I'm still hoping for a great summer for the Cadets.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Going to Walmart and ripping a woman's dress off is WAY different than what the Cadets are trying to portray in the show.  I mean, do you honestly think Darcie Aungst (program coordinator) wants to show a woman being sexually assaulted during a drum corps show???  Yeah, I think that's a ridiculous assumption.

Now, instead of complaining about what DID happen, how about giving some constructive criticism on how they could make that whole part of the storyline better?  I admit, it definitely can be done differently, in a way that is suitable to ALL spectators.

I would think most people do not think Cadets wanted to portray a woman being sexually assaulted, but that it how it appeared to many people. That is a problem because there is a good chance many people could include judges. It is critically important for Cadets they do not lose ground this year, and I don’t expect that to happen, but to be competitive they need to address what does not work, because in the overall scheme of their show, there are elements that work well.

If you want constructive criticism, my suggestion would be to make the Queen look less like a Disney princess. My first reaction to seeing her toppled was that they were trying to be humorous, toppling an age old stereotype, then when the dress was removed, it went to “What???” Give her a bit of grit and strength, get rid of the outfit that makes it appear as if her bird friends help her clean the house and whistle while she works, and keep the clothes on her. She changes the clothes herself.

Any corps that can maneuver some of the stairway props as flawlessly as they did last evening this can make these changes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dans said:

Very disappointed in the Cadets last night. This show is not coming together the way I hoped it would. The show did not grab me at all and the drill is very unremarkable. The only bright spot was the percussion...they are good. Hate to say it but the corps has a big hill to climb in a relatively short amount of time.

100% respect your opinion, but lets not forget what we have seen with our own two eyes during the first part of spring training.  The "business" side of this corps is in a WAY better position that it was five years ago.  The foundations for success are definitely there.  

I do think the decision to focus on the staging and huge props makes the drill situation unique.  I'm hoping that they add more body movement and other visual interest as the season progresses.

This is a complex production.  But right now, there are lots of obvious points where they can add IMPACT.  That should help help the show to "grab" us more over time.

And yeah, the percussion is a really REALLY strong point.  I CAN'T WAIT to see this drumline again!

20 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

I thought Boston was on fire last night and I was surprised to see just how close the Cadets were to them.  Clean, clean, clean without major rewrites is the name of the game.  I'm still hoping for a great summer for the Cadets.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I thought Boston was ten points better than the Cadets...

As for the suggestion by a few people here that Cadets having a more “ubiquitous” theme I agree - but we have another far left director and I’m just glad we weren’t as obnoxiously lectured as Cadets did from time to time under GH

Yes the drill is a major issue - they barely have one. IMO the do better needs redone immediately in terms of staging the battery, the second tune needs more drill and less scatter, the ballad needs restated and the organ section of the ballad needs to be cut entirely - way too BD wannabe for my taste

Yes the guard is young and way behind - however that will improve a lot of the next two weeks 

music is where they have a shot of finishing ahead of last year 

visually this corps could end up in 10th/11th place

I’m expecting a 8th or 9th place finish at this juncture unless they make rapid and smart changes and improvements - that will make recruitment an even tougher challenge 

hoping for a miracle frankly - I’m shocked by the poor decision making especially the decision to bring back Bobby Jones and then part ways. It’s like hiring a terrible cook and expecting four star cuisine 

Edited by George Dixon

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Ah the Blue Stars alumn who wants them beating Cadets has a sudden moral issue with an element of Cadets program.

No conflict of interest there! Lol 😂 

This is an extremely silly and dumb way of minimizing a pretty big flaw in the cadets show. I am not the only person that was made uncomfortable by this and also am not the only one who has vocalized concern and discomfort. The cadets were my favorite corps growing up and are still one of my favorite corps. Just because you have to tear a corps down to build yours up doesn't mean we're all like that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rancidrolla said:

This is an extremely silly and dumb way of minimizing a pretty big flaw in the cadets show. I am not the only person that was made uncomfortable by this and also am not the only one who has vocalized concern and discomfort. The cadets were my favorite corps growing up and are still one of my favorite corps. Just because you have to tear a corps down to build yours up doesn't mean we're all like that. 

I love the Cadets and I was extremely uncomfortable.  

I thought they’d covered this territory beautifully last season.  I was hoping they’d move on to something less literal. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

George removed part of his post. nevermind!

Edited by chris ncsu