The Cadets 2019

I’m not going to fuss about the show design. It needs work. We will be in the 7-9 range this year. Hopefully, we’ll be seventh. I don’t want to hear the excuse of lack of talent. There’s plenty of talent on that field. I’m surprised that after the black unis from 2015 we’re using such a dark color palette again. It makes the good foot and leg technique look muddled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cadet93 said:

I think we lost early on to Crossmen in 92 as well.

DCI East...prelims or finals in 91, I forget which

anyway...it's June. yeah it's rough in places.

it's June

Cadets looked sharper than in Detroit. Lots of work to do.Have to get the drill going.Too many dull and scatter moments. Get those props moving so the audience is amazed at what you are doing with them. Come :worthy:on cadets standing ovation moments !!!! :dancin:

• Like 2

Crossmen beat the Cadets at several shows in 1991 including DCE Championships in Boston and at Prelims in Allentown.  The first time was in Kannapolis, NC which was actually Carolina Crowns first ever home show if I remember correctly.

1992 Crossmen beat Cadets just a couple of times but were trading brass and percussion captions back and forth as late as the week before finals.  Then the Cadets vaulted up to 2nd place with one of their great late season surges of all time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ageout90 said:

Crossmen beat the Cadets at several shows in 1991 including DCE Championships in Boston and at Prelims in Allentown.  The first time was in Kannapolis, NC which was actually Carolina Crowns first ever home show if I remember correctly.

1992 Crossmen beat Cadets just a couple of times but were trading brass and percussion captions back and forth as late as the week before finals.  Then the Cadets vaulted up to 2nd place with one of their great late season surges of all time.

Yup. Crossmen also topped Cadets a number of times during that era in percussion - they had such good snare lines!

I'm excited for Blue Stars - what improvement they have show. Unless Cadets make the major and smart changes needed in the next few weeks I'd expect Blue Stars & Mandarins to sneak past them. It's going to be close.

Last night I was bit surprised (?) with the just 0.3 point gap between Stars and Cadets in production. That was a head scratch moment... 

BS will need many fewer (if any) big changes - advantage to them on that. Cadets have a more experienced corps - so if they can digest the needed changes quickly and work hard they have a good shot.

Makes things interesting!

After seeing the major corps this weekend, including the Cadets, I miss seeing real drill..now I expect to be excoriated by some ,but horns don't play as much and there's a lot of running around where drill used to be..maybe the demands of modern drum corps require more stand and play but the Theatre of drum corps, even with all the bells and whistles , I find uncomfortably predictable..but that's just me

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup. Crossmen also topped Cadets a number of times during that era in percussion - they had such good snare lines!

I'm excited for Blue Stars - what improvement they have show. Unless Cadets make the major and smart changes needed in the next few weeks I'd expect Blue Stars & Mandarins to sneak past them. It's going to be close.

Last night I was bit surprised (?) with the just 0.3 point gap between Stars and Cadets in production. That was a head scratch moment... 

BS will need many fewer (if any) big changes - advantage to them on that. Cadets have a more experienced corps - so if they can digest the needed changes quickly and work hard they have a good shot.

Makes things interesting!

With this early season challenge, the Cadets staff has an opportunity to show their value or lack of. I must admit, obvious problems aside, the Cadets showed improvement last night. Some very positive changes happened rather quickly. I can't help but think that the issue with Bobby Jones put them into a bit of a tail spin. One thing for sure, this group of Cadets will keep pushing and fighting to the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

After seeing the major corps this weekend, including the Cadets, I miss seeing real drill..now I expect to be excoriated by some ,but horns don't play as much and there's a lot of running around where drill used to be..maybe the demands of modern drum corps require more stand and play but the Theatre of drum corps, even with all the bells and whistles , I find uncomfortably predictable..but that's just me

I find many of the shows are boring (and this is not an old vs. new thing) and lacking sustained melodies. The Bluecoats are one of the few shows I find entertaining and interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I'm trying to find a silver lining and it gets tougher and tougher. I totally bought into the hype train. I won't make that same mistake again.

Good news is that with an incomplete show, they are still in Finals and ahead of some good corps. Good news is that there is a lot of time to fix it. Good news is that they have more talent so they still have the ability to surpass last year.

Bad news is that they are having to play catch up yet again. I really hope they have someone capable of writing the ending of this show. 

One thing is certain: 2020's main priority should be to do whatever possible to bring in a great drill writer.

I'm not ready to stick a fork in this season and I'm sure the corps isn't either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1