The Cadets 2019

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

yup. 85 was a bigger spread at at East for SCV than 87, and a far bigger spread at finals for Cadets at finals than in 87

In 87, Cadets only won by a tenth of a point over SCV.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup. 85 was a bigger spread at at East for SCV than 87, and a far bigger spread at finals for Cadets at finals than in 87

I didn’t make that finals (85). I’d just given birth and came home from the hospital the day before. 

Strangely enough, that child aged out on his 22nd birthday in 2007. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, dans said:

Just returned from Cadets rehearsal. Not sure where you get your information from. The Cadets did not fire their "new" visual designer. As a matter of fact, he was running visual rehearsal!

He was also (and still is) the caption head.

The portion of the program he wrote was painfully substandard. 

Drill designer #1 did a serviceable job but clearly has been designated as Fall Guy. If the work wasn't what they wanted why bring him back? There is plenty of proof of his work, it wasn't a mystery. Drill designer #2 was the patsy -  not ready for the job and put into an unwinnable position.

The real losers are the members and Cadets fans. Year to year change wreaks havoc on design teams. Change within the year (not once but twice) puts undue stress on a portion of the program. the Cadets will be re-writing as those in their neighborhood are making minor adjustments, enhancing and cleaning.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

Drill designer #1 did a serviceable job but clearly has been designated as Fall Guy. If the work wasn't what they wanted why bring him back? There is plenty of proof of his work, it wasn't a mystery. Drill designer #2 was the patsy -  not ready for the job and put into an unwinnable position.

The real losers are the members and Cadets fans. Year to year change wreaks havoc on design teams. Change within the year (not once but twice) puts undue stress on a portion of the program. the Cadets will be re-writing as those in their neighborhood are making minor adjustments, enhancing and cleaning.

If that's true, why did you say he was fired?

I agree on your take on designer 1. Drill was my main concern coming into the season since I knew he was coming back. I don't think he did enough last year to warrant another year with The Cadets. To all of a sudden fire the guy doesn't make sense to me unless they just couldn't agree. In my opinion, they made their bed with who they chose and should have stuck with him. 

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

Well .... Bobby Jones ( Drill Designer #1), is talented. Why he was fired?  Who knows?  It is like in many aspects of life. We only know what we are told. The point I guess is that the powers that be made the change. I think I heard the change was made 10 days before the first show. That is  pretty insane. What did they think was going to happen? The replacement, Chris Johnson, as listed on the website, was probably trying to help a very difficult situation. He gets a pat on the back for that. But, he did take a non winnable assignment and that is on him, as Algernon says. And it looks like he is still the visual caption head? 

I am not sure about the loser comment. Yes, the Cadets are going to have a tough year, no question about that. It could be very tough. But, pretty much all competitive groups move up and down. Santa Clara dropped in the early 90's if I remember, the Cavaliers for a long time in the 80's, even the Blue Devils when they changed drum staffs just before the season some time ago. They fired Tom Float and brought in Fred Sanford. 

It happens. Even Apple computer has a bad year. 

9 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Well .... Bobby Jones ( Drill Designer #1), is talented. Why he was fired?  Who knows?  It is like in many aspects of life. We only know what we are told. The point I guess is that the powers that be made the change. I think I heard the change was made 10 days before the first show. That is  pretty insane. What did they think was going to happen? The replacement, Chris Johnson, as listed on the website, was probably trying to help a very difficult situation. He gets a pat on the back for that. But, he did take a non winnable assignment and that is on him, as Algernon says. And it looks like he is still the visual caption head? 

I am not sure about the loser comment. Yes, the Cadets are going to have a tough year, no question about that. It could be very tough. But, pretty much all competitive groups move up and down. Santa Clara dropped in the early 90's if I remember, the Cavaliers for a long time in the 80's, even the Blue Devils when they changed drum staffs just before the season some time ago. They fired Tom Float and brought in Fred Sanford. 

This wasn't a 1991 Cadets go out on a limb and miss because you are 5 years ahead of the activity. The show is what it is and at this point the members deserve better.

The Cadets had a perfect opportunity to move forward from the last 2 years and had a clean slate.

They chose to not "Do Better".....speaking of which, it's not a new era, new new era 

• Like 1

As usual, there is a handful of people who at least talk like they know what's going on. I choose to take it all with a grain of salt, since it's mostly through the grapevine (even if they are legitimate contacts that you people have).

5 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Yes, but Apple employees don't pay Apple for the right to work there during that bad year.   And, if they do their jobs well, those employees get to come back year after year for the good times.  Not so with Marching Members, who have a finite DCI lifespan.

6 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Yes, but Apple employees don't pay Apple for the right to work there during that bad year.   And, if they do their jobs well, those employees get to come back year after year for the good times.  Not so with Marching Members, who have a finite DCI lifespan.

True 

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Allentown, PA                                  DCI
   DCI East                                          

1 Santa Clara Vanguard                       94.2
    2 Garfield Cadets                            92.8
    3 Madison Scouts                             88.3
    4 Velvet Knights                             84.7
    5 Suncoast Sound                             84.2
    6 Sky Ryders                                 80.9
    7 Crossmen                                   76.3
    8 Boston Crusaders                           73.3
    9 Marauders                                  70.1
   10 Blue Knights                               66.6

Madison, WI                                    DCI
   DCI World Championship                            

1 Garfield Cadets                            97.9
    2 Santa Clara Vanguard                       97.8
    3 Cavaliers                                  94.7
    4 Blue Devils                                94.4
    5 Phantom Regiment                           94.3
    6 Madison Scouts                             90.4
    7 Velvet Knights                             90.0
    ^ Star of Indiana                            90.0
    9 Suncoast Sound                             88.8
   10 Spirit of Atlanta                          87.6
   11 Bluecoats                                  85.7
   12 Sky Ryders                                 81.9

The greatest year in Drum Corps History. :peek:

only saying that for 2 reasons - my first year to march and Garfield's show is my favorite all time.