The Cadets 2019

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

He was also (and still is) the caption head.

The portion of the program he wrote was painfully substandard. 

Drill designer #1 did a serviceable job but clearly has been designated as Fall Guy. If the work wasn't what they wanted why bring him back? There is plenty of proof of his work, it wasn't a mystery. Drill designer #2 was the patsy -  not ready for the job and put into an unwinnable position.

The real losers are the members and Cadets fans. Year to year change wreaks havoc on design teams. Change within the year (not once but twice) puts undue stress on a portion of the program. the Cadets will be re-writing as those in their neighborhood are making minor adjustments, enhancing and cleaning.

word is it wasnt necessarily what #1 gave, it was how long it took to get, more likely a combo.

it's not easy putting together a design team. I mean look SCV had Rennick for years, eventually got Shaw, and then finally Gaines put them over the top last year....but that had been building since what 2011? BD remains where they remain because of how long they have been together, and has help Bloo as well since the bulk of that team had been together for at least 10 years. Plus add in the uncertainty of all things Cadets the last 16 months and well...yeah. Rome wasn't built in a day back in the 80's either.

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

This wasn't a 1991 Cadets go out on a limb and miss because you are 5 years ahead of the activity. The show is what it is and at this point the members deserve better.

The Cadets had a perfect opportunity to move forward from the last 2 years and had a clean slate.

They chose to not "Do Better".....speaking of which, it's not a new era, new new era 

and for the reasons I listed above and one other thing: availability or desire of people to want to jump in. Given some of the "must be back on top now" mentality, and the craziness of all things YEA in the last 16 months...hell if they called, i'm saying no! And others may have as well. Great designers don't grow on trees. Others may be under contract elsewhere. 

May be a dumb question, but I wonder if DCI has ever considered a salary cap of sorts for designers, staffs etc? 

Work on getting a little parity going? 

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

May be a dumb question, but I wonder if DCI has ever considered a salary cap of sorts for designers, staffs etc? 

Nope, and shouldn't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

word is it wasnt necessarily what #1 gave, it was how long it took to get, more likely a combo.

it's not easy putting together a design team. I mean look SCV had Rennick for years, eventually got Shaw, and then finally Gaines put them over the top last year....but that had been building since what 2011? BD remains where they remain because of how long they have been together, and has help Bloo as well since the bulk of that team had been together for at least 10 years. Plus add in the uncertainty of all things Cadets the last 16 months and well...yeah. Rome wasn't built in a day back in the 80's either.

word is you can't set staging/drill until music stops changing

1 minute ago, Algernon said:

word is you can't set staging/drill until music stops changing

well, i wasn't going there....that was never fully confirmed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Rome did not have all the cocaine that the 80s did either.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

This isn't professional sports.

Sorry, but I can't fault a corps for having more money than another. Same goes the other way: shouldn't punish a corps that spends money because others can't or choose not to. Not to mention the money that members pay to be a member of these corps. 

I'm guessing this idea would be so corps would be better, but if anything I think many would be much worse. Under this system, corps wouldn't be able to keep staff due to successful staff going where the money was/wasn't. Staffs would be thrown together not due to what they added, but to what they cost. Artistic differences would be worse, not better. We would never witness staff stability (a huge problem for The Cadets right now). Corps identities would dissolve even more than now, because the identity would change based on the staff for that year. Some members will go to a place because they want to be taught by a certain person. Corps that cannot meet the parity threshold wouldn't be much different from those that cannot already. Those are just a few things that could happen.

I'm sorry, but its not a good idea in the slightest.

Edited by East9900

5 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Wow, sounds like a mess and a waste. Just like all the “talent,” blood, sweat and tears of members in 2003. And 2004 and 2006 and 2007 and 2008, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...

Weird that 2012 and 2013 passed muster with you.