The Cadets 2019

54 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

I noticed something while looking at the Madison Scouts thread and their discussion of the role the leadership and BOD has on the success of an organization.  The BAC approach has was being held up as a strong example to follow in building a successful corps.  From what I've seen, the YEA board seems to be on a similar path with a clear vision and focus on getting things right.  

I think that combined with the Cadets culture of not giving up and pushing through... I have confidence that this 2019 corps just might turn things around.

right now, everything is still so new/raw/fresh that until we know that deficit has been truly reduced, people are going to focus more on the on field product than the total organizations health. There's still a lot of kids ###### and hurt about how c2 was folded.

• Thanks 1

Look, it seems like some folks have half the story and others have the other half. None of that inside baseball nonsense matters.

The upshot is that the design of this show is very poor.

Structurally, the narrative makes no sense. Woman is assaulted. Disappears. Returns like eight minutes later. Fin.

The message of the show -- which is apparent only because they made a series of videos talking about it at length -- makes no sense.

The show does nothing innovative or even really interesting. It probably would have been a pretty cool show in 2012 or so.

The uniform feels like a uniform someone made up because "Welp, everybody makes up uniforms now, so I guess we better too!" There is no reason not to wear the old maroon and gold this year. It even fits, thematically.

Two-thirds of the performance captions are incredibly weak. The color guard is easily the weakest color guard we've had maybe ever. The hornline is... average, I guess. About what you'd expect from a 7-10 place corps. (The percussion is amazing! Good work, Tom and company!)

The corps doesn't do the little things. I just watched the Allentown encore. The arc they were standing in was horrible. Horn carriage from person-to-person was wildly inconsistent. Yes, stupid stuff, but on some level that stupid stuff is what makes the Cadets the Cadets.

Exactly zero of this has anything to do with the kids in the corps, all of whom I'm sure are doing the "heads down, do your job" thing that we're known for. 

The adults have let them down. 

Staffs win championships. Let's go get a world class staff.

• Thanks 2

Congrats Cadets on another 1.5 points of improvement as well as another percussion win over a very strong Boston line - keep working!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Look, it seems like some folks have half the story and others have the other half. None of that inside baseball nonsense matters.

The upshot is that the design of this show is very poor.

Structurally, the narrative makes no sense. Woman is assaulted. Disappears. Returns like eight minutes later. Fin.

The message of the show -- which is apparent only because they made a series of videos talking about it at length -- makes no sense.

The show does nothing innovative or even really interesting. It probably would have been a pretty cool show in 2012 or so.

The uniform feels like a uniform someone made up because "Welp, everybody makes up uniforms now, so I guess we better too!" There is no reason not to wear the old maroon and gold this year. It even fits, thematically.

Two-thirds of the performance captions are incredibly weak. The color guard is easily the weakest color guard we've had maybe ever. The hornline is... average, I guess. About what you'd expect from a 7-10 place corps. (The percussion is amazing! Good work, Tom and company!)

The corps doesn't do the little things. I just watched the Allentown encore. The arc they were standing in was horrible. Horn carriage from person-to-person was wildly inconsistent. Yes, stupid stuff, but on some level that stupid stuff is what makes the Cadets the Cadets.

Exactly zero of this has anything to do with the kids in the corps, all of whom I'm sure are doing the "heads down, do your job" thing that we're known for. 

The adults have let them down. 

Staffs win championships. Let's go get a world class staff.

I'd love to see the Cadets do a show that does not have a message.  Just good old fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I'd love to see the Cadets do a show that does not have a message.  Just good old fun.

How about this for many corps? I did not go to Allentown tonight .... too hot and I saw they had rain. I will have to wait until Tuesday.  So ... I did watch the Muncie show. And I do not get it? As a design team if you are in 14th, 10th, 9th whatever, and you are looking to move up, why play music no one knows? 

6 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

I did watch the Muncie show. And I do not get it? As a design team if you are in 14th, 10th, 9th whatever, and you are looking to move up, why play music no one knows? 

Pssst!  For the most part, it’s been like that for years. At least to me.

24 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

How about this for many corps? I did not go to Allentown tonight .... too hot and I saw they had rain. I will have to wait until Tuesday.  So ... I did watch the Muncie show. And I do not get it? As a design team if you are in 14th, 10th, 9th whatever, and you are looking to move up, why play music no one knows? 

people not knowing music doesnt mean scores will be bad. Who knew Rocky Point, Jeremiah, Short Ride, Perilous Skies and Kigs Go off to war etc...before they were played...and #### those shows did just fine

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

people not knowing music doesnt mean scores will be bad. Who knew Rocky Point, Jeremiah, Short Ride, Perilous Skies and Kigs Go off to war etc...before they were played...and #### those shows did just fine

So sing me a little of the Crossmen's show. Sing me some Blue Stars,  or Some Colts.  Perhaps if I was rephrasing I would suggest music be played with a melody.

And as far as what you say Jeff, each of those pieces was played by a corps, the Cadets, who were the year prior, in the top 3 or so. Music selection can be risque when you have a boatload of talent. But, when you are trying to impress, I wonder if there are other options. 

Frankly, I found the show in Muncie this evening difficult to watch. I want to like the corps but they make it so hard! I will say, I liked the Blue Stars more in the theater. Perhaps my computer did not do them justice?

I hope to be more excited tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Pssst!  For the most part, it’s been like that for years. At least to me.

I do not disagree. Not all corps. Some program for success but not many. Example: How many mandatory brass double tonguing sequences do we need to hear? Crown makes some of the other corps tonight look foolish. Why do that?  Is it a requirement? Like Body Movement?

• Like 1

Heading to Lawrence for my first live look tonight. Bad thunderstorms moving through should pass by showtime. Hoping for a good run and curious to see progress from the premier. 

Lets hope for clear skies!

• Like 3