The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Interesting comments. Just a few thoughts after seeing Cadets live:

I saw the show last evening in Lawrence. I was far less troubled by what I saw last night than what I saw in the movie theater. I’m not sure it was tweaked a bit or whether it was the camera angle. The reason I say this is a Cadets staff person who sat in front of me said what some people claimed was the Queen’s dress being torn off was actually people helping her lose the dress quickly.  I’m not sure I buy it,  but last night it did not appear as problematic. It still does look a bit too Disney Princess to me. 

Still the show is reasonably solid. Last night the audience responded well to the show. The drill is fast paced, there were great brass moments, and as others have mentioned the percussion is excellent and adds a certain bravado to the show. 

I know many with Cadets want to see an instant return to glory. That’s not how it always happens. Most of what has plagued the corps is due to a too long tenure of a director and his rubber stamp board. Removing the cause of the problem does not make the residue and aftermath go away instantly. Last year was a let’s show them we can do this year, and they did. This is the beginning of the real rebuilding. The staff needs to gel and come together and things need to continue to happen in a positive way.

This ^^^^^^^

• Like 2

Edited by horndevil
Nevermind

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I also agree with the design observations. I guess they've heard the feedback and realized some of the errors. Hopefully we'll see additions and changes in the coming weeks. As others have said - the members are improving rapidly so it's the show issues... As a fan I offer my support and patience - they aren't the ones guilty of the past "literal shows" but they must work to improve this one. It's also typically the case that when design teams are formed there are bound to be some personality issues and growing pains. That seems to be the case in the program conception as well as the ousting of the original drill guy. Not a perfect situation but this is where things are. Cadets (IMO) have always been about teaching the value of choosing one's attitude and working hard. I trust they will:

She has an impressive resume (I got this from YEA.org):

Bachelor of Science, Education - Rhode Island College
Master of Arts, Education - Cambridge College

Darcie Aungst joins the 2019 Cadets as the first female Artistic Director in the corps history! For the past 25 years, Darcie has been the Show Designer, Show Coordinator, Choreographer, and Costume & Set Designer for the five-time Scholastic World Champion Dartmouth High School Indoor Percussion. Through her design, leadership, and teamwork the group has medaled an amazing 17 times and has always ranked in the top five in the World Class Division. Darcie toured for 11 years with the Marauders Drum and Bugle Corps as a member, instructor, choreographer, and designer. She has choreographed several musicals on both the West and East Coasts. Her educational background includes Health Education, Dance, and Educational Leadership; she also studied classical piano for 11 years in her home state of Washington. During her day job, Darcie is the Principal of two separate urban elementary schools in New Bedford, Massachusetts where she lives with her son Noah who marches in the Dartmouth High School Percussion Ensemble. Her eldest son, Alan, marched with the Spartans, Carolina Crown, for three years with the Blue Devils, and four years with RCC Indoor Percussion. 

Dartmouth's Ken Doll show was genius

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

Interesting comments. Just a few thoughts after seeing Cadets live:

I saw the show last evening in Lawrence. I was far less troubled by what I saw last night than what I saw in the movie theater. I’m not sure it was tweaked a bit or whether it was the camera angle. The reason I say this is a Cadets staff person who sat in front of me said what some people claimed was the Queen’s dress being torn off was actually people helping her lose the dress quickly.  I’m not sure I buy it,  but last night it did not appear as problematic. It still does look a bit too Disney Princess to me. 

Still the show is reasonably solid. Last night the audience responded well to the show. The drill is fast paced, there were great brass moments, and as others have mentioned the percussion is excellent and adds a certain bravado to the show. 

I know many with Cadets want to see an instant return to glory. That’s not how it always happens. Most of what has plagued the corps is due to a too long tenure of a director and his rubber stamp board. Removing the cause of the problem does not make the residue and aftermath go away instantly. Last year was a let’s show them we can do this year, and they did. This is the beginning of the real rebuilding. The staff needs to gel and come together and things need to continue to happen in a positive way.

good points...in many ways, THIS is year 1 of the rebuild. last year was survival. This year is truly about moving forward

• Like 2

The Challenge for the Cadets it would appear, is that there is a great difference in staging a drum line and a drum corps.  In fact, when I first say the "DO BETTER" section, I had the distinct feeling this was staged by a drummer. Sure, the percussion was front and center, but the coordination of the guard and the integration of the brass was suspect.  Reading the notes here now, I wonder if I was correct. Was the old drill designer gone? How was this put together? 

I will be at Metlife Tuesday to get up close but there are challenges here. What to do with the queen, the guard book and their performance and of course the overall design. Again, drum corps versus an indoor drumline. They are way different, and take different skills when it comes to design. 

We will see how it comes along. We know Tom and Darcie have done amazing things at Dartmouth. Hopefully, some of that magic can appear at the Cadets.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

The Challenge for the Cadets it would appear, is that there is a great difference in staging a drum line and a drum corps.  In fact, when I first say the "DO BETTER" section, I had the distinct feeling this was staged by a drummer. Sure, the percussion was front and center, but the coordination of the guard and the integration of the brass was suspect.  Reading the notes here now, I wonder if I was correct. Was the old drill designer gone? How was this put together? 

I will be at Metlife Tuesday to get up close but there are challenges here. What to do with the queen, the guard book and their performance and of course the overall design. Again, drum corps versus an indoor drumline. They are way different, and take different skills when it comes to design. 

We will see how it comes along. We know Tom and Darcie have done amazing things at Dartmouth. Hopefully, some of that magic can appear at the Cadets.

I actually LIKE the “Do Better” section.

And yeah, Tom and Darcie have done great things at Dartmouth.  Some of that magic IS appearing at Cadets RIGHT NOW.  The percussion is their strongest caption.  This is a fact, and it matters!  They are on fire!

• Like 1

I have an age-out in the Core the year. So, needless to say, I'm watching closely, as a staunch critic.  It seems the show starts out fine, but the story gets lost after the Bridge. IMHO they are missing a great opportunity to create a moment when the bridge comes together.  There after it seems that the whole show becomes unraveled. I hear from a loyal source that they are still "working" on show. But, it seems to be the consistant excuse every year. "Hello!", so is every other core, but we seem to always lag behind. By the time they get to Indy the show has life! But, it seems the die has been cast by then by the media (and judges). As mentioned above, I know this is a new crew. I'm just hoping they accelerate giving the show definition as we've already seen from other leading Cores. 

How do the west coast scores compare to those in the east and mid west in terms of real competition...I saw a Cavaliers score(recent) that suggests that the Cadets were close..is that real or just the difference in adjudication out west ?