The Cadets 2019

22 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Ironic, isn't it

They’ve really got to tone down the electronics and the jumping around in that section. Percussion is so good - let them be the focus and the brass needs some drill not an X and a Y 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

Didn't Boston Crusaders also have to face early performing times the year they blasted from 12th Place to 6th?

I do believe it is something corps have to deal with when they want to rise in the rankings.  But, Cadets situation isn't as bad as it would be if they were, say, the 12th Place corps last year.

Since so much of the sheet is based on how the show is designed, going from 12th --> 6th can be done merely with an all-star staff.

The difference between 6th and the top tier comes down to effective rehearsal time in many cases.

The Cadets used to thrive on rehearsing the most, simply because we had middle-of-the-road talent compared to BD. Now that we've fallen down a tier or two, we have to find a way to deal with less rehearsal and still excel. We aren't doing that yet. I hope we can get it turned around.

2 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Since so much of the sheet is based on how the show is designed, going from 12th --> 6th can be done merely with an all-star staff.

The difference between 6th and the top tier comes down to effective rehearsal time in many cases.

The Cadets used to thrive on rehearsing the most, simply because we had middle-of-the-road talent compared to BD. Now that we've fallen down a tier or two, we have to find a way to deal with less rehearsal and still excel. We aren't doing that yet. I hope we can get it turned around.

Excellent point and mindset. Honestly the next couple weeks will tell a lot. 

I'll say this for The Cadets: they are a JOY to watch because they can really perform. Yes, the design did not come out as they had hoped but they are making solid changes on that front and it is getting more readable and more entertaining. Throw all that to the side (as hard as that may be to do) and if you just watch and listen this corps perform it is very impressive and entertaining. Brass has come a long way from last year and really sound good to me. Percussion is on FIRE! The guard is better staged and doing really great work. And this corps can MARCH. Great technique.  This is one of the things that I feel will separate them from BK, Crossmen, BS, even Mandarins. We shall see, of course. But I am really enjoying the great work the performers are showing on the field. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

With all due respect, even suggesting that going from 12th to 6th in one season is merely, well anything,  is disingenuous at  best and does a huge disservice to the members and staff of the 2017 Boston Crusaders.  The fact is that due to travel times and VERY early performance times that year (in many cases being the first WC corps on in some shows) BAC had very short rehearsal windows on tour. As a matter of fact there were at least a half dozen days on tour where the corps had to deal with only a 2 or 3 hour ensemble before it was time to ESL.

For the record, I personally have been very supportive of Cadets this season in particular.  While I don't speak for BAC in any official capacity, I can tell you that the prevailing feeling there is that the Cadets are a time-honored drum corps who deserve a great amount of respect and remain an integral part of DCI. I would hope that most Cadets supporters would return that sentiment. If nothing else, Boston has certainly proven its ability to persevere  through adversity and perhaps be an inspiration to others.

Good Luck, Cadets!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, craiga said:

With all due respect, even suggesting that going from 12th to 6th in one season is merely, well anything,  is disingenuous at  best and does a huge disservice to the members and staff of the 2017 Boston Crusaders.  The fact is that due to travel times and VERY early performance times that year (in many cases being the first WC corps on in some shows) BAC had very short rehearsal windows on tour. As a matter of fact there were at least a half dozen days on tour where the corps had to deal with only a 2 or 3 hour ensemble before it was time to ESL.

For the record, I personally have been very supportive of Cadets this season in particular.  While I don't speak for BAC in any official capacity, I can tell you that the prevailing feeling there is that the Cadets are a time-honored drum corps who deserve a great amount of respect and remain an integral part of DCI. I would hope that most Cadets supporters would return that sentiment. If nothing else, Boston has certainly proven its ability to persevere  through adversity and perhaps be an inspiration to others.

Good Luck, Cadets!

I don’t think he was meaning it in a negative way at all - just that the activity more so is design driven 

look at cadets last win in 11, they had the best show 

Boston improvement remains impressive 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, craiga said:

Good Luck, Cadets!

Totally agree with you, and don't let one person't comments get you too upset. I think most Cadets fans, alumni, and supporters love Boston. I'm thrilled to see Boston so healthy and competitive. They have another fantastic show with one of the best music books out there. 

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I don’t think he was meaning it in a negative way at all - just that the activity more so is design driven 

look at cadets last win in 11, they had the best show 

Boston improvement remains impressive 

Bolded part (I added the bold) - Seriously!  Bluecoats, Crown, and Phantom Regiment all rose fairly steadily to their latest championships. I've always thought Crown's in particular, starting in 2003, showed serious, long-term endurance to build it into a Div 1 championship corps.  Boston -- from 12th to 6th alone was jaw-dropping, then 2 years later to potentially be 4th (or medal?), man!

• Like 1