The Cadets 2019

2 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Huh?  You are suggesting that firing Bobby Jones 10 days before the season was to begin is the reason for their issues? Frankly, the visual package from the WE CAN DO BETTER TO THE END is the issue, and I am thinking that Bobby was long gone when that was written. If it was so critical to fire Bobby they should have had a plan right?  Who is doing the re-writes?

But still that does not explain the opening, the "bridge over troubled waters", which is  trite,  and a lack of visual design consideration over the last 3-4 minutes. 

If you are asking, the packaging and design choices are the reason for where they are today, competitively speaking.

Yep, that’s what I’m suggesting.  Have you ever heard of any corps changing drill writers in the middle of spring training, and that NOT causing issues?

I see.  I think we can consider that Bobby Jones does NOT suck. I appreciate that it's your opinion. But you said he was not turning in drill. That implies he's not a professional and that seems hard to believe. How many years has he been at Reading?  

As for the Cadets and no one working there? Tom Aungst was there in 2017, the same time Bobby came in. And a herd of brass guys including the arranger (I forget his name). I am not sure staff was really the problem. But that's ancient history now. I was simply getting some clarity on the blame being passed to the drill guy. No way.

Bigger issues, we can all see that. 

IMO...it was a clash of styles and tastes. Too much "MUST BE CADET BECAUSE THATS WHAT WE DO"  Demands....which doesn't really work in drum corps today.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Wow.

I’ve seen this thing.  It’s incredible.

See those yellow “dots” around the edges (alum, please forgive me), and see ALL of that color across the whole art?  

It’s gold. Like, 24 carrot gold.  It sparkles incredibly on the original to be auctioned, but also, through the magic of digital printing, those $35 prints sparkle, too.

Stop by the souvenir truck or get a print online. Any alum would be really proud to hang this in an office or den.  All the victories - you can see them all.  I studied the detail a long time, it’s amazing. 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Ouch. Some pretty good folks have been involved with DCA corps.

Yep. Bobby among them.

42 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep. Bobby among them.

Good design is good design. If Bucs were all day every day I guarantee the design would be different. IMO Bobby helped that corps a lot last year. But again imo, the biggest concern I see is the “ must be cadet” mentality. How’d that work before the regime change? 

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Good design is good design. If Bucs were all day every day I guarantee the design would be different. IMO Bobby helped that corps a lot last year. But again imo, the biggest concern I see is the “ must be cadet” mentality. How’d that work before the regime change? 

Not well at all.  :laughing:

I agree about Bobby. We've seen him do stellar work for the Buccaneers and Caballeros. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him longer term with the Cadets.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

If that was the stipulation, and he was unwilling to provide what was asked, he deserved to go. Regardless of whether or not he thinks it works for this era, (and that's pretty debatable, I mean have you seen Crown's drill? It pretty much looks exactly like Cadets-type drill of the past.), he had a job to do, and he didn't complete it, if what I was told is true. Everyone has a boss and his boss had given him an instruction. He refused to follow it, so he had to go. I don't care how great he was at writing for Bucs. I have had people who have worked for me and did great work; they go and work for someone else and do a terrible job. Non-sequitur. You do your job, or you get fired. And if this entire story is true, what we are now left with is something that is sub-par for Cadets in my opinion. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Not well at all.  :laughing:

I agree about Bobby. We've seen him do stellar work for the Buccaneers and Caballeros. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him longer term with the Cadets.

We are talking apples and oranges. Designing for a DCA corps is not comparable to designing for a DCI corps...it just isn't. Mr. Jones drill simply could not compete at a top tier DCI level. The Cadets made the correct choice for their future. The Cadets did make a mistake however by bringing Bobby Jones back for this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

If that was the stipulation, and he was unwilling to provide what was asked, he deserved to go. Regardless of whether or not he thinks it works for this era, (and that's pretty debatable, I mean have you seen Crown's drill? It pretty much looks exactly like Cadets-type drill of the past.), he had a job to do, and he didn't complete it, if what I was told is true. Everyone has a boss and his boss had given him an instruction. He refused to follow it, so he had to go. I don't care how great he was at writing for Bucs. I have had people who have worked for me and did great work; they go and work for someone else and do a terrible job. Non-sequitur. You do your job, or you get fired. And if this entire story is true, what we are now left with is something that is sub-par for Cadets in my opinion. 

Thank you...well said!