Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Darcie is Dartmouth.. She is responsible for the Theatrical elements and design in Darmouth PSW's line for as long as Tom has been there.. Immense Talent, always unique and fresh.. YOu need only look at Darthmouth to be satisfied that she has some ideas and can execute them if given the right team.

Soooo... why this disaster of a show, if she has such amazing design talent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

Soooo... why this disaster of a show, if she has such amazing design talent?

i would put it up to growing pains, and perhaps Direcotr saying hey we have this drill writer that worked for us last year, Unless you have a better option you two should work together.

I think they wanted to make reference to their recent history also to empower the female cadet and elements where not fully envisioned and left in the hands of the drill writer and without the comfort level, important aspect of the show where not designed into the Drill and into the show. Again it is hard when two designers are out together for the first time, Its not easy to be critical of the drill because you're not sure of the level of offense that might be taken, You trust the other designer that they understand your vision. As the drill writer you might not fully understand what is being asked but because you are not comfortable or perhaps want to proof yourself you don't seek clarification or take your vision of the show... 

So many thing can go wrong when you have two factions who have not worked together before and it seems to have gone wrong in terms of the drill with this show.. 

I hope that lessons are learned and they will go forward with a more direct attainable traditional design next year that everyone can grasp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

i would put it up to growing pains, and perhaps Direcotr saying hey we have this drill writer that worked for us last year, Unless you have a better option you two should work together.

I think they wanted to make reference to their recent history also to empower the female cadet and elements where not fully envisioned and left in the hands of the drill writer and without the comfort level, important aspect of the show where not designed into the Drill and into the show. Again it is hard when two designers are out together for the first time, Its not easy to be critical of the drill because you're not sure of the level of offense that might be taken, You trust the other designer that they understand your vision. As the drill writer you might not fully understand what is being asked but because you are not comfortable or perhaps want to proof yourself you don't seek clarification or take your vision of the show... 

So many thing can go wrong when you have two factions who have not worked together before and it seems to have gone wrong in terms of the drill with this show.. 

I hope that lessons are learned and they will go forward with a more direct attainable traditional design next year that everyone can grasp.

And PLEASE stay away from social/political issues! It has the net effect of alienating part of your fan base.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadets have at least one change premiering in Caspar tomorrow, which addresses one item mentioned previously on this thread. That's all I'll say.

As to the deposing the Queen section, I was thinking while watching last night's ensemble that they could improve that somewhat with a fairly simple thing:

  • When she first comes down the stairs, she is trailed by 8 guard spinning weapons.  At they end of the opener, before "Just" starts, those 8 guard are also immediately surrounding/behind her, between her and the balance of the corps.
  • So those members already form something of a House Guard for the Queen.   Make that more clear to the audience by having each of them wear a large, simple white shoulder sash (similar to below), or a large white lacy jabot, or a white ruff.  Stick with white, because it matches the Queens wig and ruff, which are ripped off.
  • Then, when the mobs starts removing the Queen's wig and ruff, also have some of them rip the sash/jabot/ruff off of each House Guard.  No one is marching in any form at that point, so it should be easy to assign a few people to do that.
  • This way, the mob violence is more clearly directed at the trappings of the Monarchy, as opposed to the physical female who happens to be the monarch.  

AdmiralRodney1792.jpg?w=215

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I'm not sure, but I think the polite term for that is "spin."

The more commonly-used term involves bovine feces.

cow pies?

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the key will be $$$...and right now, Cadets have to be wise how they spend it while trying to pay down the debt they have.

Do you have the numbers on this debt, as well as the full financial picture?  They sold off assets, they have less programs to manage, and the office staff is very small. Of course, if the programs are reduced, there are less people needed. I heard this past weekend "at the bar" that the stairs in the show cost $52,000.  Drum Corps have debt, as do all non profits. The question is many times cash flow. What are they making in donations, from the band program, from merchandise sales, and from corporate partnerships? 

As for Jeff Sacktig returning, why would he do that? Will they be able to match Crown's financial commitment? Does Jeff want to become involved in an organization that appears to be struggling mightily?  It is fun to think about but, he seems like a smart and very emotional guy. Would he really be able to climb back?  

If I was sitting back and making a decision between Crown, with that brass section, and the Cadets it would seem the decision would be pretty easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Cadets have at least one change premiering in Caspar tomorrow, which addresses one item mentioned previously on this thread. That's all I'll say.

As to the deposing the Queen section, I was thinking while watching last night's ensemble that they could improve that somewhat with a fairly simple thing:

  • When she first comes down the stairs, she is trailed by 8 guard spinning weapons.  At they end of the opener, before "Just" starts, those 8 guard are also immediately surrounding/behind her, between her and the balance of the corps.
  • So those members already form something of a House Guard for the Queen.   Make that more clear to the audience by having each of them wear a large, simple white shoulder sash (similar to below), or a large white lacy jabot, or a white ruff.  Stick with white, because it matches the Queens wig and ruff, which are ripped off.
  • Then, when the mobs starts removing the Queen's wig and ruff, also have some of them rip the sash/jabot/ruff off of each House Guard.  No one is marching in any form at that point, so it should be easy to assign a few people to do that.
  • This way, the mob violence is more clearly directed at the trappings of the Monarchy, as opposed to the physical female who happens to be the monarch.  

AdmiralRodney1792.jpg?w=215

Eleran, it sounds like you are on tour. Seems like a great idea. Go talk to Tom Aungst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Eleran, it sounds like you are on tour. Seems like a great idea. Go talk to Tom Aungst.

Nope.  Just have access to video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Soooo... why this disaster of a show, if she has such amazing design talent?

I wonder if the desire to provide contrite salve for the wounds of the prior year trumped all other considerations and, as a result, music, story-telling, and emotion are all driven off of that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

####. Well, hopefully the designers are reading the boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.