The Cadets 2019

44 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

lol.  But not champion-ship level GE or visual performance. You could argue that they were still underscored in those, maybe enough to help them medal, but not win.

Incidentally, 2015 was one of the rare times (in the last 20 years) that Cadets won a regional.  San An.

Sadness. 2000 was the season in which we won all our regionals. 

31 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I don't think drill needs to be changed to staging to win. Carolina Crown's drill is full of Jeff's influence and at least they are in the discussion. I don't think his drill is a liability. In the 2015 show I thought it was the strength of the corps, not the weakness. I would say they lost because the show theme was one dimensional. 

Staging is the "in" thing right now. I think there's a way to incorporate killer drill and staging in a way that creates incredible visual effects and still make it look like The Cadets. 

The visual program needs an overhaul and if that means get rid of the drill and stage then so be it. I just am not ready to put the blame on that as the reason The Cadets haven't won. 

That's exactly the point I made earlier. It's July 11 and I believe Crown has a lot of potential so we shouldn't be counting them out yet. I watched a video of their drill from a higher altitude and it is definitely vintage Sacktig drill. It may or may not win, but the audience surely enjoyed it. We'll see what happens. 

5 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Do you have the numbers on this debt, as well as the full financial picture?  They sold off assets, they have less programs to manage, and the office staff is very small. Of course, if the programs are reduced, there are less people needed. I heard this past weekend "at the bar" that the stairs in the show cost $52,000.  Drum Corps have debt, as do all non profits. The question is many times cash flow. What are they making in donations, from the band program, from merchandise sales, and from corporate partnerships? 

As for Jeff Sacktig returning, why would he do that? Will they be able to match Crown's financial commitment? Does Jeff want to become involved in an organization that appears to be struggling mightily?  It is fun to think about but, he seems like a smart and very emotional guy. Would he really be able to climb back?  

If I was sitting back and making a decision between Crown, with that brass section, and the Cadets it would seem the decision would be pretty easy. 

I heard they made a dent in the amount listed last fall, but an amount that large doesn't go away overnight. I'm sure a good chunk of it is still out there. Selling off uniforms and flags one chunk at a time on GuardCloset is only going to add up so much cash

• Like 1

5 hours ago, East9900 said:

I don't think drill needs to be changed to staging to win. Carolina Crown's drill is full of Jeff's influence and at least they are in the discussion. I don't think his drill is a liability. In the 2015 show I thought it was the strength of the corps, not the weakness. I would say they lost because the show theme was one dimensional. 

Staging is the "in" thing right now. I think there's a way to incorporate killer drill and staging in a way that creates incredible visual effects and still make it look like The Cadets. 

The visual program needs an overhaul and if that means get rid of the drill and stage then so be it. I just am not ready to put the blame on that as the reason The Cadets haven't won. 

Drill, staging, and body movement, all used together, would be a great combination.  In fact, if you could somehow combine the huge props Cadets have this year, WITH some elements of past Cadet-style drill and velocity, who wouldn’t LOVE that??

Whoever coordinated the movement of the battery this year, is really my hero.  I would personally like to see a lot more of that in the rest of the corps.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 2:14 PM, craiga said:

The fact is that due to travel times and VERY early performance times that year (in many cases being the first WC corps on in some shows) BAC had very short rehearsal windows on tour. As a matter of fact there were at least a half dozen days on tour where the corps had to deal with only a 2 or 3 hour ensemble before it was time to ESL.

Doesn't this just strengthen the assertion that an all star design team/a very well designed show can easily overcome the disadvantage of rehearsal time? 

Cadets tonight have their first show in a few days with a couple rehearsal days in their back pocket. Hoping they pop an 81 or above type score which would be a 2 point improvement 

it will be interesting to see which if any changes or additions debut tonight ahead of Denver tomorrow night

Go Cadets! 

• Like 1

Wondering if there will be a full judging panel or not....Genesis, Crossmen, Cadets and Troopers plus a drumline battle.

9 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

Wondering if there will be a full judging panel or not....Genesis, Crossmen, Cadets and Troopers plus a drumline battle.

Hoping! The partial the other night was for the birds lol 

Actually, that panel may have been representative in Iowa.  Cadets lost the percussion advantage but, not having a guard and vis perf person was of assistance in generating a mark. Tonight is a good one on one with the Crossmen , and look out for the Blue Knights tomorrow ( home field advantage) 

A two point increase is not on the horizon. Getting judges to push over the whole numbers is tough. (16.0, 17.0 and 18.0) I would guess they will sit in the high 79's until the effect guys go to the 16.1.

14 minutes ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

Actually, that panel may have been representative in Iowa.  Cads lost the percussion advantage but, not having a guard and vis perf person was of assistance in generating a mark. Tonight is a good one on one with the Crossmen , and look out for the Blue Knights tomorrow ( home field advantage) 

A two point increase is not on the horizon. Getting judges to push over the whole numbers is tough. (16.0, 17.0 and 18.0) I would guess they will sit in the high 79's until the effect guys go to the 16.

We heard it here first! The anonymous expert has spoken lol

🤣

Never root against these Cadets!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, he's merely offering a counterpoint to your analysis, and it's not unduly negative in tone, even though his predicted result is less favorable than yours.  Personally, I would expect judges at a 4-corps event where the top corps is only 7th to err on the side of caution and not give the top corps much of a bump - not unlike what occurred in Iowa.

Then again, I loathe DCI scoring in general, so it will be what it will be.