The Cadets 2019

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I feel bad for you, George. I know how much this is killing you. Cadets have been one of the truly elite entities in this activity forever. No one wants to see this.

The kids should not feel any blame for this, they are just kids and they paid to be here. They deserve a life changing experience, and my hope is that the leadership of the corps is making sure they mentally focus on what their job is.

I'm actually fine - but thanks just the same!

Hoping for the best for the corps the remainder of the season and this fall as they make some changes for 2020

The only thing that would "upset me" would be if the changes were only slight. Last year I was left wondering why the drill guy was brought back - I knew it was a terrible idea and they did it anyway. Then the "design videos" started getting released and I was much more concerned. 

The organization needs to reach into the massive galaxy of past Cadets instructors and designers. Plus steal a few proven ones from other corps

Heck take Blue Stars arranger (back) and a designer proven in the activity for drill and it would already be a massive step forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I'm actually fine - but thanks just the same!

Hoping for the best for the corps the remainder of the season and this fall as they make some changes for 2020

The only thing that would "upset me" would be if the changes were only slight. Last year I was left wondering why the drill guy was brought back - I knew it was a terrible idea and they did it anyway. Then the "design videos" started getting released and I was much more concerned. 

The organization needs to reach into the massive galaxy of past Cadets instructors and designers. Plus steal a few proven ones from other corps

Heck take Blue Stars arranger (back) and a designer proven in the activity for drill and it would already be a massive step forward. 

Why is this show so light on brass playing?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Are they fielding 80 horns?..because in an indoor stadium they should blow the roof off!!

Just now, MikeRapp said:

probably designed it around the drum line since it was so strong - but someone didn't know when to stop. Just a guess.

I was pondering what I would do if "in charge" with only 3 weeks left

1. I would teach the brass some drill for do-better and remove many of the electronics after the start. Remove the up and down the props by the brass and just have some guard there. I would not move the percussion at all due to time left - do not mess with their feet. 

2. For BOTW I would remove the tag ending completely and have the brass push into a block toward the audience and end it huge

3. The ending and opening of the show I wouldn't alter - just clean

That's really all that can be done with the time left. I believe these 2 changes would improve the show a bit and give the members something to "rally" around!

I'm also - as a Cadets fan - VERY excited for the other corps and the activity. Crossmen, Mandarins, Spirit, Regiment are each having terrific seasons and capable of putting some pressure on Cadets down the stretch. Plus what terrific years for Blue Knights and Blue Stars

It makes for a much better activity when so many corps are so strong & it is so exciting to watch

In the end this is a very good thing - 

George

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm guessing you're referring to brass - isn't that Jim Wunderlich? 

2 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Are they fielding 80 horns?..because in an indoor stadium they should blow the roof off!!

yup!

I'm sure slipping past corps you've been be beating is no fun. I just hope the MMs are enjoying themselves. They should know that they have every bit of the talent needed to do well. 

• Like 2

Just now, kdaddy said:

I'm guessing you're referring to brass - isn't that Jim Wunderlich? 

Jay Bocook is who I was referring to. 

They need him back https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bocook

I'd rather see them return to the classic Cadets sound. Drill perhaps go in a new direction (but a proven talent)

I marched in a junior drum and bugle corps from 1959-1959. In those days New Jersey, where I lived, was a hot bed of some of the greatest corps ever to hit the field of competition. I was in a small, home town, corp that competed often against those corps in both the VFW and American Legion state and national competitions. Most of my tenure was pre-DCI.

We, the Sacred Heart Crusaders of Manville, NJ, never beat the likes of The Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, St. Lucy, Muchachos, Bridgemen, etc. but we all looked up to them for what they were. They were the cream of the crop of the truly National corps.

I feel badly for this year's troupe. As talented as these kids are they have been let down by those responsible for putting them in the best possible position to win. From start to finish the show is confusing in concept and lacking in execution. I hope this year is an anomaly for the Cadets. I also hope that the powers that be learn the lesson of this year. BE THE CADETS! Forget trying to amaze the world with a concept that, for the most part, goes over everyone's head. Go back to the basics of great music and great drill.

Make 2020 a redux year. The Cadets have a great history of music and marching. Reach back and use what worked into next year's show.