The Cadets 2019

12 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

The problem seems to be unless you know all the background no one has any idea what this show is about. Way too complicated for a drum corps show and the average fan. People sitting next to me asked "what the heck was this about???" Not good.

And this is why I believe GE needs to be defined as “I get it”. If you want a technical exhibition then go to the Olympics and watch the skills competition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drummergirl said:

Looks like the focus is already on 2020 based on their Instagram this morning. 

That staff better not give up on those kids !!!! Make some radical changes and go for it.There is still 3 weeks in the season!!. Break out the maroon and gold and show what the Cadets can do !!. What have they got to lose????:grrr:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

That staff better not give up on those kids !!!! Make some radical changes and go for it.There is still 3 weeks in the season!!. Break out the maroon and gold and show what the Cadets can do !!. What have they got to lose????:grrr:

I was referring to The Cadets social media, not the staff members. (Just clarifying in case what I said was misleading.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

From what I've heard from members, the design staff fully cried in front of the entire corps during a corps meeting. That to me is very disappointing, when they don't have the balls to stand behind their own decisions.

As a designer I have been there. It is awful. To have tried so hard to be great and to fail and to have other people who wholly trusted you, who have everything to lose, have to live out your so well meaning mistakes...it is truly hell on earth.

Life is bigger than the next three weeks, kids. Always do your best regardless of your circumstances. The rest can take care of itself.

• Like 1

Saw my first recording of the show since the theaters last night- right off the back I was surprised at the brass writing compared to the last two years. Maybe it's the source material but it feels like there are no real wow moments in the whole show as far the musical composition goes. Bridge Over Troubled Water kind of just happens. The percussion carries the whole corps musically, which is why Do Better was actually my favorite part. 

As far as visual design I personally really like the props and what they do with them; It seems to follow the BD practice of using multi-functional props to stage in a variety of different ways. The whole show actually seems quite inspired by BD design in a lot of ways, but they just don't have the musical book/go deep enough into the "narrative" element to make it work. 

I think if Cadets play to their strengths and push their members with a challenging, enjoyable brass book next year they will "Do Better". Go Cadets! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

As a designer I have been there. It is awful. To have tried so hard to be great and to fail and to have other people who wholly trusted you, who have everything to lose, have to live out your so well meaning mistakes...it is truly hell on earth.

Life is bigger than the next three weeks, kids. Always do your best regardless of your circumstances. The rest can take care of itself.

I can imagine how hard that must have been.  Sometimes things that seem so obvious to the staff just doesn't translate to the judges or audience.  It happens. 

Really sad to see both Cadets and PR struggling this year.  Kudos to the other corps that have passed them, but just a shame from a strictly historical and emotional standpoint to see these amazing corps struggle.  If they don't get things turned around, eventually the talent will just give up and go elsewhere.   As much as kids may just want to march, they would also like a chance at a medal.  It's human nature.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

From what I've heard from members, the design staff fully cried in front of the entire corps during a corps meeting. That to me is very disappointing, when they don't have the balls to stand behind their own decisions.

Well at least they are aware of the failure and open about it. People aren’t perfect - I assume the intentions we’re good 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

“Behold is, by definition, a command for respect and is often used to introduce something remarkable or impressive. The design team wanted to honor the remarkable story of resilience, strength, unity, and healing for The Cadets and for all women in our activity and our country, as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of women in The Cadets in 2019,” said Darcie Aungst, Program Coordinator. “I was intrigued by women in history who lead entire nations as far back as Ancient Egypt and Rome; often pondering the question, what happened? Why in 2019 is it a struggle? This show explores that history and those questions. Behold tells a tale of female strength and leadership, the ugliness of jealousy, discrimination, and power when it is held over others. The show points triumphantly to images and sounds of true equality and opportunity for everyone regardless of gender, race, orientation, identity, or ethnicity. Shattering the glass ceiling opens opportunities for everyone who has been told they are ‘less than’ and leaves our world a better place for future generations. Behold the power of unity, of equality, and of The Cadets!”

This is NOT the message  I receive when watching the 2019 Cadets. If I was a school teacher I would give the program design an F. There is little to no coherency  thru transitions and and the lack of musical(Brass) content is alarming. They do not even have the best quality arraignment of Bridge over Trouble Waters in DCI (see Academy). WAY, WAY, WAY toooo much time and energy  maneuvering props. Where is the UNITY they describe?

Feel like this is a WGI percussion show with a non-supporting cast.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well at least they are aware of the failure and open about it. People aren’t perfect - I assume the intentions we’re good 

It’s SO MUCH WORSE when intentions are pure.