The Cadets 2019

17 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

As a designer I have been there. It is awful. To have tried so hard to be great and to fail and to have other people who wholly trusted you, who have everything to lose, have to live out your so well meaning mistakes...it is truly hell on earth.

Life is bigger than the next three weeks, kids. Always do your best regardless of your circumstances. The rest can take care of itself.

Very well said. We can only move forward and do the best with time left. Give the members the best possible outcome 

then tough decisions - and it can’t be about who we like and who we don’t like - it has to be who got it done and who hasn’t 

Some need replaced and some need mentors imo 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Sometimes going the unproven path can reap unexpected rewards, Can't keep hoping for people who left to return. Time to move on and give some  new talent a chance to shine and earn a reputation. How much worse can it be really.

It can ALWAYS be worse.

Everyone calm down! How do you expect the staff and MMs to stay positive and work hard for the next 3 weeks when you are all creating a culture of the sky is falling!  They are busting butt out there to entertain you, just say thank you if your critique is not going to be helpful.  

• Like 1

Just now, MikeRapp said:

It’s SO MUCH WORSE when intentions are pure.

Well I guess what I mean is - I assume everyone did their best. I didn’t mean the message thing - I hate message shows unless it is extremely subtle 

Just now, Den8uml said:

Everyone calm down! How do you expect the staff and MMs to stay positive and work hard for the next 3 weeks when you are all creating a culture of the sky is falling!  They are busting butt out there to entertain you, just say thank you if your critique is not going to be helpful.  

I highly doubt they aren’t already aware of everything being said here - no one is being anything but constructive 

and yes - by Cadets standards the sky IS falling 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

This is NOT the message  I receive when watching the 2019 Cadets. If I was a school teacher I would give the program design an F. There is little to no coherency  thru transitions and and the lack of musical(Brass) content is alarming. They do not even have the best quality arraignment of Bridge over Trouble Waters in DCI (see Academy). WAY, WAY, WAY toooo much time and energy  maneuvering props. Where is the UNITY they describe?

Feel like this is a WGI percussion show with a non-supporting cast.

Today’s DCI now requires an entire design staff that truly knows exactly what they are doing — and a show designer that gets every single part and the whole. That takes a lot of money and a lot of time, and some luck. From what I know, only about half of DCI world class have these things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

People aren’t perfect - I assume the intentions we’re good 

I'm pretty sure that their good intentions (to tell an important story) could be better handled with an essay or short story (or novel for that matter). But not in a 12 minute Drum and Bugle Show.  Stories are hard to tell and almost impossible to do in a D&B show.  It can be done, but it is difficult.  Crown did it very well in Relentless.  But there are more fails than successes.

Oh, yeah, have to mention my favorite story show "Drum Corpse Bride".  Easy for everyone to follow. ... but we all knew the story already.

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I highly doubt they aren’t already aware of everything being said here - no one is being anything but constructive 

and yes - by Cadets standards the sky IS falling 

The Cadets are only 2 points down from last year at the same show.  That’s not good, but if you think that is the sky falling what do think about Madison!?

1 minute ago, PamahoNow said:

I'm pretty sure that their good intentions (to tell an important story) could be better handled with an essay or short story (or novel for that matter). But not in a 12 minute Drum and Bugle Show.  Stories are hard to tell and almost impossible to do in a D&B show.  It can be done, but it is difficult.  Crown did it very well in Relentless.  But there are more fails than successes.

Oh, yeah, have to mention my favorite story show "Drum Corpse Bride".  Easy for everyone to follow. ... but we all knew the story already.

Angels & Demons.

One of THE best shows ever put on a football field. I watch it today and it still makes me itch with amazement.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Today’s DCI now requires an entire design staff that truly knows exactly what they are doing — and a show designer that gets every single part and the whole. That takes a lot of money and a lot of time, and some luck. From what I know, only about half of DCI world class have these things.

A great illustration of this can be seen in the multiple interviews on Marching Roundtable from last year with several of the Bluecoats designers.

• Like 1