The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

As it stands now, the Cadets might beat Boston in percussion at finals.  Will the Cadets show a middle finger to other corps who have some of the Cadets top instructional talent from recent years?  It seems all of those top instructors are quite happy with their new corps.  Then, maybe your frustrated because the Cadets request for financial assistance from other corps didn't happen.  Please do not apply for any PR positions with the Cadets.  Their train is back on the tracks and doing well without your help.

wikipedian_protester.png

For every part of the bolded statement, please.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I mean referring to anecdotes isn't going to magically prove your point. Obviously not every millennial listens to the same type of music from the same era, but the type of music (pop, hip hop, etc) are at the top of the charts for a reason: popularity. You will always find exceptions to the rule anecdotally but that doesn't necessarily mean a majority are the same way 

Edit: with that said, I don't think the type of music kids listen to on a daily basis has any influence on whether they'd enjoy playing wind band music vs classical vs jazz 

Anecdotes won't do that, true, but record sales might not either... I mean do the charts reflect what is selling or what people listen to on their devices? Older people tend to buy less music.  I'm not sure what the charts represent though. 

You make a great point about what they listen to versus what they'd enjoy playing.

I tend to think DCI members are into more varied music than the general public too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Anecdotes won't do that, true, but record sales might not either... I mean do the charts reflect what is selling or what people listen to on their devices? Older people tend to buy less music.  I'm not sure what the charts represent though. 

You make a great point about what they listen to versus what they'd enjoy playing.

I tend to think DCI members are into more varied music than the general public too.

I was more referring to charts from free streaming services (spotify in particular). 

And yes I'd agree DCI members likely are more diverse in their music tastes

Edited by Cappybara

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I was more referring to charts from free streaming services (spotify in particular). 

And yes I'd agree DCI members likely are more diverse in their music tastes

Ah, ok. Well I'm sure that several of DCI designers can make hits out of any music, and many designers will make less than stellar products out of the same material.

I'll trust the Spotify numbers and other streaming service numbers.

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Thoughtful reply- Just thinking here, anyone asking the Bluecoats members whether they like playing that 55 year old Beatles music, whether it's outdated or stuffy? :innocent:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

I get it was a different time. However, for a corps known for straight legs, those are some severe knee bends.

That 1990 show was a little before The Cadets began using the straight-leg approach. I actually preferred the earlier approach to marching from their 80s shows. It got a little stiff somewhere in the 90s. I think they modified it again in the 2000s. 

BTW, love the 1990 show. Simple, elegant, stately, well-coordinated, and very musical. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I don't have a dog in that fight at all. Boston threw money at a problem rather than building from within. It's one approach, but not one I have a lot of respect for.

I grew up in NYC in the 70's during the Reggie Jackson era. Everyone not in NY complained that the Yankees were buying championships. You're not suggesting salary caps, are you? Now people not in New England complain that the Patriots are cheaters. It's always something. Let's give BAC credit where credit is due. They've done a hell of a job. This is coming from a guy who lives in the BAC area and drives around with a Cadet sticker on his car. Let's not be too petty here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I don't have a dog in that fight at all. Boston threw money at a problem rather than building from within. It's one approach, but not one I have a lot of respect for.

Boston did a lot of building from within to where they had the money. And let's be honest, money was far from the sole determining factor as to why they left

• Like 3

Wow someone left a job to make more money somewhere else... how horrible... when was the last time I heard of that in the outside world..

oh yeah heard it yesterday at a farewell luncheon for one of our DBAs.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3