Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

That depends. Corps typically don’t generate much if any revenue over the winter and that money needed to operate the corps has to come from somewhere. And from what I’ve been hearing from those I trust, they are no longer allowed to funnel money from USBands to run the Cadets. So will they just jack up the tour fees to make up the difference as a sort of misdirection? Will they lower tour fees as well and go on a more limited tour? I guess we’ll find out. 

YEA! runs both USBands and Cadets.  Of course money and resources are going to be shared.  There might need to be more transparency on how money is flowed, but to suggest that money CANNOT be shared, is incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Really seem to be fascinated by Spandex, there.

Go watch the alumni corps show at DCA and see how the crowd (such as it is - a few hundred people at best) responds to old style drum corps. Then ask a bunch of 18 year olds "hey, would you guys rather march a show like Bluecoats or Vanguard, or do a 1990s style show?" and see what kind of response you get.

Cadets have a bad show concept and only average talent in the horn line this year. They also have an excellent percussion section and I hope for their sake that they end up beating Boston in percussion in Indy,  just to show the Boston BOD a big middle finger when it comes to staying relevant even when someone else buys away your top instructional talent.

They'll figure it out, as long as their alums stay supportive and the corps leadership is given the opportunity to make mistakes or miscues as they come up with the new identity of the corps, one free from GH. They'll be fine, in other words.

Where did the 27th lancers instructional talent etc. go to back in the day? Who was there to pay them? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, craiga said:

So now you're going to blame the Boston BOD for Cadets' problems. Seriously? And for the record, Colin was part of the Boston Crusaders long before he joined any other organization. Exactly how far back do you wish to go? Good grief! Get over it.

Take it easy on them they are still playing on Slingerland's! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, E3D said:

Where did the 27th lancers instructional talent etc. go to back in the day? Who was there to pay them? 

The director prior to GH hired some great people. The money back in those days was minimal - those hires happened because of a prior relationship and geography for those involved 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole Boston Cadets thing is way overrated 

just be happy both are strong!

i wonder what other changes Cadets have made during this quiet week? I’ve heard a new Cadets style closing moments and that the stair props have been finished with high end painting that looks like carpeted stairs in maroon and white 

any other big changes to expect? I’m hoping they’ve lost the tag ending to the ballad 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The director prior to GH hired some great people. The money back in those days was minimal - those hires happened because of a prior relationship and geography for those involved 

I'm not saying it was a bad thing. I am just pointing out that in Drum Corps there is sometimes those who will benefit from the changes in staff. And that those changes can be for many different reasons. I imagine if DCP was around during those days there might have been some bitterness between the Massachusetts folks over the direction most of the talent went after 27ns demise. 

Not that this matters but Garfield Cadets was my favorite corps and show's - I really did not let that out around my fellow Crusaders but I loved to see the "Big Maroon Band". lol 

This cycle will change if the alumni tighten up the ship. The tradition is deep and from what I read the alumni / fans are passionate to keep the corps operating and competing. That passion needs to be FULLY embraced within the BOD. Not saying it is not because I really do not know the makeup of the BOD. But if you get the strong alumni to guide this organization then it will turn out for the best. 

 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

YEA! runs both USBands and Cadets.  Of course money and resources are going to be shared.  There might need to be more transparency on how money is flowed, but to suggest that money CANNOT be shared, is incorrect.

it's no secret CMBC/USSBA/USBands was set up to be a fundraiser for Cadets. pretty sure it was spelled out legally in every name change

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, E3D said:

I'm not saying it was a bad thing. I am just pointing out that in Drum Corps there is sometimes those who will benefit from the changes in staff. And that those changes can be for many different reasons. I imagine if DCP was around during those days there might have been some bitterness between the Massachusetts folks over the direction most of the talent went after 27ns demise. 

Not that this matters but Garfield Cadets was my favorite corps and show's - I really did not let that out around my fellow Crusaders but I loved to see the "Big Maroon Band". lol 

This cycle will change if the alumni tighten up the ship. The tradition is deep and from what I read the alumni / fans are passionate to keep the corps operating and competing. That passion needs to be FULLY embraced within the BOD. Not saying it is not because I really do not know the makeup of the BOD. But if you get the strong alumni to guide this organization then it will turn out for the best. 

 

The BOD has serious issues to address, so on the field focus may not be their overriding priority. Ya know deficit, lawsuits, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's no secret CMBC/USSBA/USBands was set up to be a fundraiser for Cadets. pretty sure it was spelled out legally in every name change

It's probably a big reason The Cadets are still around today. They needed money, so they came up with a way that not only gets them money, but gives HS bands another option to perform. Not sure why that is such a terrible thing. Since they use them as moneymakers for The Cadets, I'm sure they are making sure they are properly funded so they don't fold. Because if they did, who does that hurt? YEA! and The Cadets.

 

Edited by East9900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, East9900 said:

It's probably a big reason The Cadets are still around today. They needed money, so they came up with a way that not only gets them money, but gives HS bands another option to perform. Not sure why that is such a terrible thing. Since they use them as moneymakers for The Cadets, I'm sure they are making sure they are properly funded so they don't fold. Because if they did, who does that hurt? YEA! and The Cadets.

 

never said it was bad. other groups have multiple ways to fund themselves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.