The Cadets 2019

Was at Winston-Salem last night. I can confirm the brass sounded better. Not amazing, but better. Blue Stars went on even earlier when the sun was blazing down on them and that was probably a factor.

My major gripe (as reflected by Vis Analysis scores) is that it is impossible to read the show visually. The props are great and a huge step up from anything Cadets have used before. There is just no visual clarity or cohesion at all. I can't even tell what they are trying to get across visually.

I really hope they are able to get a top tier visual design team in during the off season. 

• Like 3

Nice job staying ahead of Mandarins, Cadets, and closing in on 90!

• Like 1

Good to see that spread growing with the Mandarins - can Cadets catch BS or BK and end up in 8th or 7th

it will be tough with the guard scores and visual design - their best bet now is to clean clean clean clean 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Good to see that spread growing with the Mandarins - can Cadets catch BS or BK and end up in 8th or 7th

it will be tough with the guard scores and visual design - their best bet now is to clean clean clean clean 

It's interesting that Cadets' guard score was actually ahead of the overall corps placement at Nightbeat, but they can't keep getting last in Visual Analysis and hope to climb, IMO.

Knights and Stars were within half a point last night. Does that mean that Cadets are also within 0.5-1 of Knights, too? Who knows, but Cadets have been gaining on Stars...

• Like 1

I have a question regarding guard.  Cadets used to have one of the best guards in DCI.  I know there has been a problem with consistency after April left.  Does it appear this issue taken care of?

9 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I have a question regarding guard.  Cadets used to have one of the best guards in DCI.  I know there has been a problem with consistency after April left.  Does it appear this issue taken care of?

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Absolutely not 

• Like 2

Guard has had some bright spots in the 2000s, but few and far between. After 2005, I'm thinking 2009, 2011, with honorable mentions to 2007 and 2014, but none of these after 2005 are up there with the great Cadets guards of the 1990s.

I think the guard issues also had to do with how other corps started using guards - they became integral parts of the story and were used / staged accordingly.

I always felt that Cadets just kept the same formula that worked for them in the '90's  where weapons were up front, flags in the back and weren't fully integrated to the theme / corps drill.

They almost seemed like an afterthought - the entire "Awakening" show should have been a guard heavy concept - but it fell flat.

That said, I do think the guard program is headed in the right direction and that last year and this year - the guard as a whole are much improved - but still lack in total integration

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Regardless of integration and style, they just haven't been CLEAN. I remember being particularly disappointed in the achievement of the 2013 guard.